Tyrone v Cork in Croke Park Sat 20th July 5pm

Started by Fuzzman, July 15, 2019, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

8th championship game of the season for Tyrone and it's only mid July.
Building up momentum nicely and whilst we might not look like we're at the same level to the Dubs, Kerry and Donegal (perhaps) we seem to have got back our mojo and are much more assured and comfortable playing in this style.
It is very different to a few years ago with a lot more direct kicking and our actual full forwards back scoring regularly. With McShane showing little signs of easing up or being taken out of the equation (so far) he continues to be the championship top scorer and must be in with some chance of an all star.

I was at the Cork v Dubs match on Sat night as couldn't make it to Roscommon and Cork certainly came out all guns blaring v Dublin. Yes the final score looked dreadful for them but I'd say they will attack us like crazy and show us no fear at all. Could be a bit like the Rossie game as we hammered them as well last year so they will have to prove they've progressed a good bit since then.
They still look naive a bit at the back and you would imagine Tyrone will let them win their kickouts and allow them to approach our 40 and then steal the ball from them and break

Jayop

I think we're looking in great shape. Clearly very fit compared to anyone we've played this year bar Donegal and we played them very early in the summer so may not have been peaked yet. Scored 17 points away at the weekend which is a good score against a fairly defensively solid side in that heat and we could have had a fair bit more too.

Looking forward to Cork again. Like Roscommon they seem to have come on a fair bit since we played them last year with good performances against Kerry in the Munster final and in the qualifier against Laois. They had a pretty good first half against the Dubs too in fairness to them. Should make for a decent challenge and should we win that and Dublin win their game after then we're through to the semi's for the fourth time in 5 years which is a great standard for Tyrone to be at.

We really need to tie up this Cork forward line and stop them getting goals which seems to really give them oxygen, by my count they have 11 goals in 4 games this year which is outstanding considering 4 of those came against Kerry and Dublin. If we can keep them to 1 goal or less then I'd be pretty confident we can outscore them but if we let them get more than that, given we're still not exactly hammering them in ourselves then we give our selves a hill to climb with points only.

I'd predict Tyrone by 4 again but Cork can certainly get a shock here if we're not on it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 03:37:04 PM
I'd predict Tyrone by 4 again but Cork can certainly get a shock here if we're not on it.
Tyrone normally win by far greater margin than 4 points when the opposition they face are poor defensively and i can't see Tyrone giving the Cork forwards the time and room to play as Dublin did last Saturday or Kerry did in the Munster final.

Angelo

Kennedy went off with an injury on Saturday so probably should give him a rest for this one, might be a good chance to ease Hampsey back in.

Cork did well against Kerry and Dublin for large parts but I think the open way they play will leave loads of space for Tyrone to break at speed on the counter. I see this being a very high scoring game.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jayop

If we're going into the last 2 minutes of this with a nice lead I'd love to see harte pick up a black card. Honestly don't know which of the teams in the other group I'd prefer to play for the semi final if we win this so getting Harte's ban out of the way for the Dubs would be no harm at all.

kerryforsam19

Jayop

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:01:53 PM
Cork will be 5 in a row.

Serious going. Could probably afford to rest a couple lads this weekend.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 15, 2019, 10:07:15 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:01:53 PM
Cork will be 5 in a row.

Serious going. Could probably afford to rest a couple lads this weekend.

All were 5pm Saturday throw-ins. All played away from home.

Jayop

hard te beat playing games. I'm sure if you asked the players they'd want them coming thick and fast with light training rather than a long gap and having to dog themsevles in training.

They'll have played 8 games in 10 weeks and they look as sharp and as healthy as I remember seeing this group. Usual story about teams playing week in and week out. If they win it's down to having match practice and momentum, if they lose it's because they're burned out.

Get this game out of the way and you can be sure Mickey won't be resting anyone for it. If we can win this then we're in the Super8 providing the Dubs beat the Rossies regardless of what happens after. Then there's a 2 week break to the final Super8 game which will be a dead rubber. Honestly can't see any advantage in coming first or second in this group. Likelyhood right now is Donegal and Kerry in the Semi's and I couldn't pick which of those would be better suited to Tyrone but personally I'd prefer to test ourselves against Kerry if we get to that point.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:15:26 PM
hard te beat playing games. I'm sure if you asked the players they'd want them coming thick and fast with light training rather than a long gap and having to dog themsevles in training.

They'll have played 8 games in 10 weeks and they look as sharp and as healthy as I remember seeing this group. Usual story about teams playing week in and week out. If they win it's down to having match practice and momentum, if they lose it's because they're burned out.

Get this game out of the way and you can be sure Mickey won't be resting anyone for it. If we can win this then we're in the Super8 providing the Dubs beat the Rossies regardless of what happens after. Then there's a 2 week break to the final Super8 game which will be a dead rubber. Honestly can't see any advantage in coming first or second in this group. Likelyhood right now is Donegal and Kerry in the Semi's and I couldn't pick which of those would be better suited to Tyrone but personally I'd prefer to test ourselves against Kerry if we get to that point.

Are semi final the week after last round of group games? Was unfair on likes of Galway last year

RedHand88

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 15, 2019, 10:43:14 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:15:26 PM

Are semi final the week after last round of group games? Was unfair on likes of Galway last year

They are indeed, so as to allow a 3 week build-up to the final

Jayop

And even then it was only a 2 week build up last year with the pope coming.

TBH I think a 2 week build up to the semi and a 2 week to the final would be better rather than rushing the semi final. That game is a big deal in it's own right.

twohands!!!

I think Tyrone's are perfectly set up to give Cork a hammering.

I really would not be surprised to see a similar type of game to the Tyrone Cavan game, maybe not quite the same gap in the scoreline but a similar structural dismantling where Cork struggle to make an impact against the Tyrone defence and Tyrone just have to wander down the field and pop over points at their ease.

I think Cork were rather fortunate the scoreline in the Dublin game wasn't wider.

Under Lights

Here's how it will be. Hammer Cork this weekend. Peter Harte take a black card and miss the Dublin game freeing him up for the rest of the year.
Rest a few key men against Dublin and go everyone behind the ball. Converse energy. Take your 7 point defeat.
Move on into Semi final flat out. Lot of football played.