Ros away to Dublin 20th July 2019

Started by Rossfan, July 15, 2019, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2019, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 19, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
Does Connolly see any game time tomorrow night?
He was pulled from club duties on Wednesday, so at least has a chance.

Dublin's forward subs the last day were:
Andrews, Kev Mac, O'Gara, Rock, P Small

We know Brogan is training away but can't get into the 26.

I would think that O'Gara's position would be the one that Connolly could grab. If things weren't going to plan and we needed a big man in at 14 for the last 10 minutes, then Connolly is just as good in the air as O'Gara, but has the benefit of being able to use it a helluva lot better. Plus Connolly is obviously a option elsewhere also.

Gavin made wholesale changes for the Roscommon game last year (when it was last of the 3). He'll definitely do it again, especially as we'll likely be the only team with the 6 day turnaround again for the semi-final.  So it may be Tyrone before Connolly gets a run, although there's a chance that Gavin could mix things up over 2 games this year, rather than making all the changes in Game 3.

Sure the dubs don't work. They plenty time to rest. Probably in training camp as we speak

Captain Obvious

All Ireland semi finals a week after the round 3 group games is another major flaw in this new format, how and why it wasn't change last year i don't know.

TheGreatest

Quote from: kerryforsam19 on July 19, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2019, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 19, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
Does Connolly see any game time tomorrow night?
He was pulled from club duties on Wednesday, so at least has a chance.

Dublin's forward subs the last day were:
Andrews, Kev Mac, O'Gara, Rock, P Small

We know Brogan is training away but can't get into the 26.

I would think that O'Gara's position would be the one that Connolly could grab. If things weren't going to plan and we needed a big man in at 14 for the last 10 minutes, then Connolly is just as good in the air as O'Gara, but has the benefit of being able to use it a helluva lot better. Plus Connolly is obviously a option elsewhere also.

Gavin made wholesale changes for the Roscommon game last year (when it was last of the 3). He'll definitely do it again, especially as we'll likely be the only team with the 6 day turnaround again for the semi-final.  So it may be Tyrone before Connolly gets a run, although there's a chance that Gavin could mix things up over 2 games this year, rather than making all the changes in Game 3.

Sure the dubs don't work. They plenty time to rest. Probably in training camp as we speak

:D

J70

Quote from: Hound on July 18, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 17, 2019, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 17, 2019, 07:42:51 AM
This game should be in Croke Park. That's the way the 'Super 8s' we're laid out. Cork this year, and Roscommon last year, would have had legitimate gripes about playing in Croke Park

Donegal played two away games last year, not Roscommon. Their game against Dublin in Croke Park was Dublin's home game. Their game against Tyrone was in Croke Park as a neutral venue.

Whereas Donegal's "neutral" game was against Dublin, in Croke Park, which is the same as us playing a neutral game in Ballybofey.
Where did you get this nonsense about "neutral games". There are no "neutral games" in the Super 8. Not a single one. There are home games, away games and Croke Park games.

From the moment the format was introduced, before the beginning of championship 2018, there has never been mention of a "neutral" round. There's a Croke Park round. It's disingenuous to pretend you thought it was a neutral round. It was clear in black and white from the day the vote was taken, that there was to be a home round, an away round and a Croke Park round. This ensured every quarter-finalist got a game in Croke Park. This is what the counties wanted and voted for.

From the beginning of the introduction of quarter-finals, the Leinster champions have always played their QF in Croker. Most of the time that's been Dublin and there's been no uproar. If there had been, then there may been some debate as to whether the round in Super 8s should be a neutral round rather than a Croke Park round, but there wasn't. It didn't come up. On the other hand, there has been uproar in the past when a provincial champion didn't get to play a game in Croke Park. Hence the Croke Park round was an automatic choice that everyone bought into at the time.

Should the semi finals and final be played at a neutral ground or in Croke Park?

In the real world Hound, Croke Park is neutral for 31 counties. It's a home venue for Dublin. All the technical parsing in the world doesn't change that reality. That the wider GAA voted for it doesn't change it. A lot of their decisions make little sense.

As for the one-off quarters and semis (and final too), Dublin gets an advantage with those too, but it's one that the wider GAA is happy enough to live with. Tradition I guess.

But in a round robin competition like the Super 8s, it ends up with one county being singled out and penalized with two away games while one county i.e. Dublin, get two home games.

Rossfan

Exactly J70.
A mini league system should treat all teams the same.
I suppose we'll be doing very well to get out with a 1-24 to 0-12 here.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Roscommon should go to the Hill tomorrow for their warm up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 19, 2019, 01:29:06 PM

the last time that happened was another Connacht team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ByVZsXNWs

oliverkelly

Wont be allowed. Dublin are home team so they always get the Home dressing room and choice of warm up end.

Rossfan

Oliver any info on how our delegates voted on the Donegal motion at Congress?

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2019, 03:14:21 PM

I honestly dont know for sure but at the time i heard we were "advised" vote against it. I do know most county boards are bribed and threatened into voting the way they are told by the Gaa with grants and funding been handed out by how well you behave to Official Gaa/Dublin gaa . And i suspect after the contoversy over the Hyde last year around the Connaght final we didnt have much room to go against Horan/Costello

Tyrdub

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 19, 2019, 02:50:19 PM

Wont be allowed. Dublin are home team so they always get the Home dressing room and choice of warm up end.

Dog. Bone. Fill the rest in yourself

manfromdelmonte

Roscommon should just park the yellow bus across the gates outside

Rossfan

Quote from: oliverkelly on July 19, 2019, 03:28:07 PM

I honestly dont know for sure but at the time i heard we were "advised" vote against it.
Enough said.
I do believe Horan helped us get the CF in the Hyde last year and no doubt we'll want a biteen of a grant for the works on the Hyde.
We'll hardly swing €30m like Frank Murphy  ::)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2019, 03:47:00 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on July 19, 2019, 03:28:07 PM

I honestly dont know for sure but at the time i heard we were "advised" vote against it.
Enough said.
I do believe Horan helped us get the CF in the Hyde last year and no doubt we'll want a biteen of a grant for the works on the Hyde.
We'll hardly swing €30m like Frank Murphy  ::)

Are you mixing up John Horan in a  figure head role with  Páraic Duffy who was GAA chief this time last year?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tyrdub on July 19, 2019, 01:58:01 PM

the last time that happened was another Connacht team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ByVZsXNWs

Yeah. That day will never be forgotten in Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.