Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 17, 2009, 10:57:34 PM
As RednBlack says, For an Inter County Transfer you have to give an address, He supposedly gave DCU as his address which was rejected because it wasnt a permanent residence.
dont know if he will put in another request(is there a deadline??), or if he will play for us this year.

If my memory serves me right, there is no deadline for Inter County transfers at all
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 17, 2009, 11:25:43 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 17, 2009, 10:57:34 PM
As RednBlack says, For an Inter County Transfer you have to give an address, He supposedly gave DCU as his address which was rejected because it wasnt a permanent residence.
dont know if he will put in another request(is there a deadline??), or if he will play for us this year.

If my memory serves me right, there is no deadline for Inter County transfers at all
Correct.

BallyhaiseMan

well then im sure all he will have to do is get an address out around Malahide to put down on the form,
dont know how this one will play out,will know more at the weekend when the lads get together.

LackenLegend

Timmmmy!

Homer

A few of the Cavan boys seem to showing well in the Sigerson anyway

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=107198

Sigerson: Reilly really on form
19 February 2009

Martin Reilly bagged two fine goals as DIT romped to an emphatic 2-15 to 0-9 win over GMIT in their Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup quarter-final clash at Pearse Stadium.

In a lively first half both teams enjoyed pockets of supremecy with GMIT going in 0-7 to 0-6 ahead at the interval.

DIT proceeded to grab the initiative in a big way on the restart though and a 2-3 unanswered tally left them sitting pretty on the back of an eight point lead.

Reilly was the chief architect of DIT's crucial burst of scores with his goals coming in the 42nd and 45th minutes.

GMIT's in-form freetaker Donie Shine ended a 17 minute barren spell for his side with a neat point but DIT replied with Reilly stroking over a classy point to keep his side firmly in the driver's seat.

The dying stages of the game was all about the margin of victory for the Dublin-based outfit with Reilly pulling the strings throughout.

A flurry of points in the final five minutes from Reilly, John Coughlan, Paul Brogan, Daniel Graham and Donnacha Reilly copper-fastened the winners' advantage 'till the death.

DIT - E Sommerville; D Walsh, N O'Shea, D Hughes; K McLoughlin (0-1), R Glavin (0-1), B Flanagan; J Coughlan (0-1), P O'Neill (0-1); M Reilly (2-3), D Reilly (0-2), M Burke; P Brogan (0-1), B Moran (0-2), K McManamon (0-2). Subs: E Naughton (0-1) for Hughes, G Grehan for McLoughlin, C McIntyre for McManamon, C Daly for O'Neill, G Gallagher for Coughlan.

GMIT - R Hannan; C Garvey, D Vaughan, A Deacy; P McGinley, T Cunniffe, D Lee; P Conroy, C Glynn; N Darby (0-2), D Shine (0-5), S Kavanagh; J Ryan, S Griffin, M Martin (0-2). Subs: S Hughes for Martin, J Mannion for Glynn, C Boyle for Deacy, B Faherty for Kavanagh.

Ref - G Guinan (Galway).

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=107195

QuoteSigerson: CIT are A1
19 February 2009

CIT made it into the semi-finals of this year's Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup after edging out DCU by 1-15 to 0-14, after extra time, following a thrilling tie at CIT.

The deadly duo of Colm O'Neill and Daniel Goulding accounted for 1-12 of CIT's final tally but the game was slightly overshadowed by a mass brawl which broke out at the end of normal time.

CIT got off on the frontfoot from the opening whistle and were 0-5 to 0-1 in front by the 21st minute.

However DCU rallied and thanks to Cavan duo Ray Cullivan and Sean Johnston they drew levet at 0-5 apiece by half-time.

CIT once again got off the blocks the quickest and O'Neill's goal in the 37th minute had DCU trailing once again.

DCU were still trailing by 0-9 to 1-8 approaching added-on time but then Ronan Flanagan and Martin McElroy fired late points to get their side out of jail.

CIT began the first period of extra-time in the driving seat once more, hitting four points on the trot to move into a 1-12 to 0-11 lead.

DCU again worked hard to get within two points by the 75th minute but two late scores from Cork star Goulding served to book a last four place for CIT.

Cork IT - L Sheehan; A Fenton, R Carey, N Galvin; S O'Donoghue, A O'Sullivan, C O'Driscoll; S O'Hare, P O'Flynn; S McCarthy (0-1), P Kerrigan (0-1), G Sayers; D Goulding (0-7), C O'Neill (1-5), S Cahalane. Subs: J Fitzpatrick for Sayers, R Leahy (0-1) for Cahalane, C Crowley for O'Neill, O'Neill for Crowley, Cahalane for McCarthy.

DCU - M Boyle; P Andrews, C Gavin, H Gill; D Sheridan, R Flanagan (0-2), K Leahy; R Cullivan (0-3), S O'Rourke; R Maguire, M McElroy (0-1), D Kelly; C Mortimer (0-2), B Sheridan, S Johnson (0-6). Subs: K Nolan for O'Rourke, M Lyng for Maguire, C Guckian for Leahy, P Howard for Gill, D Keenan for Guckian, L Sweetman for Keenan.

Ref - M Collins (Cork).

cavanmaniac

Quote from: LackenLegend on February 19, 2009, 10:20:14 AM
Lads this makes good reading and really sums it up: http://www.anglocelt.ie/articles/2/36258

Thanks for sharing that, it's refreshing to see a bit of real opinion in the Celt at last. Local media have been giving blow job coverage of the county team for decades, putting no spotlight on the players and their failings at all and afraid to call it like it is. A bit of pressure in the local media can help keep lads on their toes, generally speaking.
That said, I don't totally buy into all the doom and gloom and think it's too early for all this despondency. If it's this way by the end of March or so, I'll revise that opinion though.

whats my name

what other cavan county players took part in the sigerson cup for their collages how did they do??????

Zulu

Lads considering all this talk of booze hounds drinking their football careers away I was surprised to se so many Cavan lads on the various Sigerson teams, surely these guys aren't too fond of the sauce and they must be coming out of college with good footballing pedigrees.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Zulu on February 19, 2009, 01:34:03 PM
Lads considering all this talk of booze hounds drinking their football careers away I was surprised to se so many Cavan lads on the various Sigerson teams, surely these guys aren't too fond of the sauce and they must be coming out of college with good footballing pedigrees.

Its not really the sigerson lads that would be the problem Zulu,

all the lads who took part in the sigerson cup that i know of

Ray Galligan(Lacken) Athlone IT

Barry Watters
Dermot Sheridan
Mickey Lyng
Jelly
Ronan Flanagan
Ray Cullivan          (DCU)

Daniel Graham(Cavan Gaels)
Martin Reily (DIT)

put-it-up

Sorry lads was away on a wee break for the last couple of days, so missed all the arguments over the dismal performance last weekend.

All I can say is, calls for Carr's head are ridiculous. I dont think many understand the size of the task on his hand. Yes, we have been really poor but Carr not only has to pick the best team - he has to change players attitudes, restore confidence in them when playing  in the blue jersey. I looked at the Sigerson Reports during the week. Plenty of Cavan lads showed well, and they always do with their clubs. But playing for Cavan is a different story. They dont believe. They are used to losing. At this stage it is almost a habit.

Nobody can turn that around in a week. Its going to take time. But maybe using more younger players instead of the likes of Brady, Fannin and Eddie who are  used to losing. Naturally youngers players are a wee bit ignorant you know?

And if we have to take one step back to go two forward then so be it. At this stage once we avoid relegation this year - we can be reasonably happy. Let the man have two years and then judge him.

He is managing a county that expects a lot but delivers very little. I am not saying I agree with all his decisions (ie. Podge at FB) but he needs to learn things about the players too.

My team for next game
James Reilly
Mickey Hannon
Rory Dunne
M Brides / D Sheridan
Barry Watters
Ronan Flanagan
Martin Cahill
Ciaran Galliigan
N Walsh
Martin Reilly
Ray Cullivan
E Keating
Jelly Johnston
D GIbney (stick with him, he is a great asset)
G Pearson

put-it-up

Also Tomas Reilly, D Gibney and Eugene Keating playeed Sigerson with Sligo and I am pretty sure Enda Gaffney did for DIT

cavan4ever

tonesfirstandlast

Thastheball. One of the things which has baffled us derry ones is how Damian Cassidy was such a disaster when he took cavan, yet has been such success every where else he has been.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Thastheball on February 20, 2009, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on February 20, 2009, 11:56:41 AM
Thastheball. One of the things which has baffled us derry ones is how Damian Cassidy was such a disaster when he took cavan, yet has been such success every where else he has been.

he wasn't the manager, and that essentially was the problem. I was part of the panel at that time. Martin Mc Elkennon was the manager, and Cassidy did the coaching, and that was the order. Typical of our county board to make a balls of that. We all knew it was back to front, but that was how it was! But to be frank with you, our players are not good enough, as Sundays result has shown once again.

Are you saying that damian was a bad coach or that McElkennon a bad manager or both?

anglocelt39

Quote from: Thastheball on February 20, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
I'm saying that their roles were messed up. A coach who was the manager and a manager who was the coach. Only in Cavan, imagine having two of the best in Ulster at their respectives jobs and our county board messes it up. where else would it happen

Tragic when you put it that way all right. Kind of obvious question though, given that they are two of the best in the game in their proper roles, did they ever think of just putting their heads togehter and both doing what they were best at, regardless of the job title?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds