Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Shotstopper I suppose when ya go through it Ballyhaise look to b the real losers in the whole affair,its just unfortunate but Im not sure what else the County Board could do,bar having only 1 team relegated along with Ballinagh.
Ballyhaise Man well done,The better team won.You's were hungrier and sharper and took your chances.
You'r rite in saying that our tactics were strange.Shane Donoghue wasnt fit to walk and probably shouldnt have even been togged out,I doubt he was even on for 10 minutes.Gary Ferncombe was due to play midfield anyway but the lad doesnt know how to play the position really and he was trying too hard to stop Cullivan instead of playing his own game.In my opinion he is one of the best half backs in the County and Id b suprised if he's not back there against Ballymachugh.
You's never gave us a chance to settle,your work rate was excellent even in the final minutes you's were battling for every ball.That was the difference.Too many of our lads werent up to Championship tempo.
I thought Enda McCormack was one of our better players TBH although I thought Eamon Costello had a fine game too.Your rite about Daragh Gaffney,he is a superb free taker and he is starting to throw himself about more but I really dont think he wants to play County football,he's a very laid back fella(which does drive me mental on the field at times) and I think he was asked in last year but he said no.He has everything going for him as a footballer and he would b some additionto the County team but I just dont think he wants it.
Its back to the drawing board for us but to b brutally honest we have too many problems not just on the field that might not b fixed this year.But ya never know.
Ballyhaise definetely had the Indian sign over me this week-On Saturday you's bet our Under 15s after Extra time in the Semi-final of the County 7-a side blitz in Breifne Park.Myself and the brother were over our lads.Then Sunday in the Park and then on Monday in Drumalee Ballyhaise bet our Under13s in the Division 2 Semi final  and I was manager of that team too.If I see another Ballyhaise jersey this year it will b too soon.Unless its in the Quarter Finals of the Championship of course!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on July 30, 2008, 11:37:03 AM
Shotstopper I suppose when ya go through it Ballyhaise look to b the real losers in the whole affair,its just unfortunate but Im not sure what else the County Board could do,bar having only 1 team relegated along with Ballinagh.
Ballyhaise Man well done,The better team won.You's were hungrier and sharper and took your chances.
You'r rite in saying that our tactics were strange.Shane Donoghue wasnt fit to walk and probably shouldnt have even been togged out,I doubt he was even on for 10 minutes.Gary Ferncombe was due to play midfield anyway but the lad doesnt know how to play the position really and he was trying too hard to stop Cullivan instead of playing his own game.In my opinion he is one of the best half backs in the County and Id b suprised if he's not back there against Ballymachugh.
You's never gave us a chance to settle,your work rate was excellent even in the final minutes you's were battling for every ball.That was the difference.Too many of our lads werent up to Championship tempo.
I thought Enda McCormack was one of our better players TBH although I thought Eamon Costello had a fine game too.Your rite about Daragh Gaffney,he is a superb free taker and he is starting to throw himself about more but I really dont think he wants to play County football,he's a very laid back fella(which does drive me mental on the field at times) and I think he was asked in last year but he said no.He has everything going for him as a footballer and he would b some additionto the County team but I just dont think he wants it.
Its back to the drawing board for us but to b brutally honest we have too many problems not just on the field that might not b fixed this year.But ya never know.
Ballyhaise definetely had the Indian sign over me this week-On Saturday you's bet our Under 15s after Extra time in the Semi-final of the County 7-a side blitz in Breifne Park.Myself and the brother were over our lads.Then Sunday in the Park and then on Monday in Drumalee Ballyhaise bet our Under13s in the Division 2 Semi final  and I was manager of that team too.If I see another Ballyhaise jersey this year it will b too soon.Unless its in the Quarter Finals of the Championship of course!!

You've had a bad week alright.
Ballymachugh in the qualifiers, you should win that.

Quote from: Hollow Man on July 29, 2008, 08:17:03 PM
Where was Pickett playing?

Was Stephen Rooney playing?

Ali Pickett was part of a two man FF line with Kevin Tierney

Stephen Rooney would be one of the first subs for the forwards,Hes played alot of league games, however the management only used subs for injuries on Sunday so he wasnt brought on.

cavan4ever

Heard a rumour that the county board are looking at boylan to take over, any views on that?

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 30, 2008, 04:40:57 PM
Heard a rumour that the county board are looking at boylan to take over, any views on that?
I really cant see it happening,with Boylan being such a fanatical Meath man Id say it would kill him to manage any other County but mayb and hopefully Im wrong.I would love to see Boylan in as manager.I read his book and he is a big man on discipline but is also a big players man.He would demand high standards from all sides-Players,Selectors and County Board.
Bar Mick O Dwyer I dont think theres a more popular or high profile manager in the country and if lads didnt want to play for Cavan under Sean Boylan then forget about them.
How relaible is the word tho?

cavan4ever

Quote from: boojangles on July 30, 2008, 04:51:55 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on July 30, 2008, 04:40:57 PM
I really cant see it happening,with Boylan being such a fanatical Meath man Id say it would kill him to manage any other County but mayb and hopefully Im wrong.I would love to see Boylan in as manager.I read his book and he is a big man on discipline but is also a big players man.He would demand high standards from all sides-Players,Selectors and County Board.
Bar Mick O Dwyer I dont think theres a more popular or high profile manager in the country and if lads didnt want to play for Cavan under Sean Boylan then forget about them.
How relaible is the word tho?
Not sure don't know the fella who told me that well but he would have some contact with people in county board. He reckons that there is big money on the table but time will tell i supose.

cavanmaniac

Big money is never a problem when it comes to manager time in Cavan, if you'll forgive me a shite joke, you can take that to the bank. Watching with interest myself to see what names filter out, heard a very flimsy rumour myself but nothing worth mentioning.

As regards Boylan, I'd rate that one a very doubtful starter indeed. But at the end of the day, we're all just guessing really.

mylestheslasher

Boylan looks terrific on paper but is he out of the game a bit too long. I'd suspect he is old school and might not have the tactics to deal with Ulster football. Or maybe I'm just making excuses cos I don't really want a Meath man to manage Cavan ;)

cavanmaniac

The last one made a right bags of it anyway, maybe Meath have a policy of planting managers here to take us back years. And when they don't do it, we make a right good job of it ourselves.

LackenLegend

I've been away for a while but i couldn't let this slip away.

Quote from: boojangles on July 27, 2008, 05:12:06 PM
From what I hear Terry Hyland dosent know his arse hole from his ear hole along the line and I dont think he has near the necessary experience for the county Senior job.

That is quite a statement there Boojangles. Have you ever trained under the man? I'm not sayin he's the best in the world but he has trained a number of clubs including Lacken, Denn, Knockbride, Ballyhaise and Lavey. He has also managed the Cavan over 40's for a number of years with success. He is selector for the successful Irish over 40's for the last number of years and is preparing them for another trip down under. He was selector with Louth and Cavan. This year he set up and managed the county development/junior squad. Maybe i'm forgetting some stuff there too.

Maybe you're right. Sure he wouldn't know anything.
Timmmmy!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: LackenLegend on July 31, 2008, 12:03:48 PM
I've been away for a while but i couldn't let this slip away.

Quote from: boojangles on July 27, 2008, 05:12:06 PM
From what I hear Terry Hyland dosent know his arse hole from his ear hole along the line and I dont think he has near the necessary experience for the county Senior job.

That is quite a statement there Boojangles. Have you ever trained under the man? I'm not sayin he's the best in the world but he has trained a number of clubs including Lacken, Denn, Knockbride, Ballyhaise and Lavey. He has also managed the Cavan over 40's for a number of years with success. He is selector for the successful Irish over 40's for the last number of years and is preparing them for another trip down under. He was selector with Louth and Cavan. This year he set up and managed the county development/junior squad. Maybe i'm forgetting some stuff there too.

Maybe you're right. Sure he wouldn't know anything.

Speaking from a Ballyhaise point of view,
Terry Hyland managed us at a time when the senior team were at their most weakest,The likes of Padraig McCrudden,amongst others had just retired, and minors like Eamon Costello,Barry Kelly,Brendan Lyons etc were plucked straight in to be the backbone of the team while they were 18/19/20.
he done as well as anyone could. So i dont have a bad word for him.

Hollow Man

To be fair to T Hyland, I know nothing about him bar the fact that he made a good job of the Cavan juniors this year (ran Dublin very close in Parnell Park, they went on to win the All Ireland), and has got Lavey flying high in the top half of ACFL Div One.

Also, wasn't he a selector the year Cavan got to the Ulster final and were beaten by two or three points by Tyrone?

Who else is said to be in the running? Ciaran Brady? Morris? King? I hear Phelim Plunkett is in for it??

Know nothing about the latter but we need a total break from the Keogan era I think.

boojangles

Maybe Iv put my foot in it there,Lacken Legend mite b Terry Jnr or Mark.Ok mayb I was a bit harsh on Terry.No I have never played under him.But I have been around long enough to form my own opinions on people on the football scene within the County.You name a host of clubs that he was over but bar Knockbride who has he won anything with?
He was a selector with Val Andrews when he was over Cavan and yes we got to an Ulster Final in 2001 but that doesnt make him a good manager.I could name a host of people who have been selectors with Cavan who hadnt a clue what they were at and were only Yes men and there for the prestige.Im not saying that was the case with Terry but my point is,being an Inter-County selector is totally different from managing.
Correct me if Im wrong but the last time we won the Over 40s All-Ireland was in 1996 and I dont think Terry was over that team.
Yes he was over Cavan Juniors this year and made a good enough job of them but how serious was it taken?
No disrespect to Terry but I really think that we should b looking at bigger names and managers who have won something at inter-County level.
Lacken Legend,Do you honestly think Terry Hyland is good enough to manage Cavan Seniors?

LackenLegend

Boojangles i assure you i am neither of the Hyland lads but i have a fair idea who you are and you are not around that long if you ask me. I never said he was the right man for the job but "not knowing his arsehole from his ear hole" isn't true and i felt i had to stand up for my fellow clubman there.
Timmmmy!

Denn Forever

Quote from: boojangles on July 31, 2008, 09:01:18 PM
Lacken Legend,Do you honestly think Terry Hyland is good enough to manage Cavan Seniors?

Well they thought that Donal was good enough, a man who had managed the Cavan minors with no great success, had managed no club team.  He was always on a hiding to nothing.  
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Ok Lacken Legend I apologise for that statement,it was obviously OTT.Im sure you probably do know who I am.I have never made any attempt to disguise it.While I may not b that old Im playing Senior football 8 years,mayb that doesnt entitle me to an opinion but anyway it still gives me no right to insult anyone like that and again I apologise.