Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

It will certainly be interesting to see how a team that's streets ahead of the rest in Cavan gets on when faced with Ulster's best. Last year's win over St. Galls was certainly a surprise but unfortunately, the rest of the campaign was not.

What do people think of the view that Gaels teams of four years ago were actually better equipped for a run in Ulster than the present one? Just something I hear from time to time, I'd have no view on it myself.

Best of luck to the Gaels in the club championship, the whole county should put old allegiances aside and get behind them now. I assume that's what happens anyway!

BallyhaiseMan

With No Ballinderry/Crossmaglen(the two teams that have beaten the Gaels the most in this competition,Correct me if im wrong)
The Gaels will never have a better chance to win an Ulster Club
In saying that,St Galls are a top quality outfit who are only 3/4 years removed from an All Ireland Club Final,if most of us were ranking the top 3 clubs in Ulster,a good percentage would have them at number 3 just behind the aforementioned Cross and B'derry.
Should be a titanic battle Sunday Week.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 07, 2009, 12:31:48 AM
With No Ballinderry/Crossmaglen(the two teams that have beaten the Gaels the most in this competition,Correct me if im wrong)
The Gaels will never have a better chance to win an Ulster Club
In saying that,St Galls are a top quality outfit who are only 3/4 years removed from an All Ireland Club Final,if most of us were ranking the top 3 clubs in Ulster,a good percentage would have them at number 3 just behind the aforementioned Cross and B'derry.
Should be a titanic battle Sunday Week.

Would absolutely love to see the Gaels win on Sunday week and go on and give Ulster a good rattle... I think it would be a huge lift for Cavan football in a year where we could really do with it...

But imagine this - saying if Cavan Gaels went on to win the Ulster club championship - imagine how much Cavan would struggle, going on last year's league if we had no Johnston and Lyng (based on his form last Sunday too), in the NFL without the Gaels players... I know a lot has to go right for that to happen, just a thought
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

[/quote]

Would absolutely love to see the Gaels win on Sunday week and go on and give Ulster a good rattle... I think it would be a huge lift for Cavan football in a year where we could really do with it...

But imagine this - saying if Cavan Gaels went on to win the Ulster club championship - imagine how much Cavan would struggle, going on last year's league if we had no Johnston and Lyng (based on his form last Sunday too), in the NFL without the Gaels players... I know a lot has to go right for that to happen, just a thought
[/quote]

i see what you're saying,but sure it would only open up oppertunities for other lads
like Paddy Gumley etc who will be on the panel.

jonb_cúl

I see the Gael backs will have to content with a former cavan "GREAT" :P when they meet St galls sunday week!! Good bless Rory Gallagher!!!!
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.

jonb_cúl

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 06, 2009, 09:02:43 PM
It will certainly be interesting to see how a team that's streets ahead of the rest in Cavan gets on when faced with Ulster's best. Last year's win over St. Galls was certainly a surprise but unfortunately, the rest of the campaign was not.

What do people think of the view that Gaels teams of four years ago were actually better equipped for a run in Ulster than the present one? Just something I hear from time to time, I'd have no view on it myself.

Best of luck to the Gaels in the club championship, the whole county should put old allegiances aside and get behind them now. I assume that's what happens anyway!

My own view(after seeing them sunday) is that this current gaels team is the best all round unit of players they've had in some time, what in terms of how the work together from the back line, how lyng can get involved as a play-maker, their support play all over the pitch & how they can always manage to have a player on the over lap at all times. Having said that the st gall's game will be the bench marker for them to see how good of a team they really are.

Like i said in my earlier post, i really do hope they can do well for the sake of pride in cavan football.
Babs Keating

cavanmaniac

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 07, 2009, 12:19:30 PM
I see the Gael backs will have to content with a former cavan "GREAT" :P when they meet St galls sunday week!! Good bless Rory Gallagher!!!!

Is he still knocking about??? Holy Jasus. He was a total waste of time in the Cavan jersey that's all I know anyway.

Homer

Belated congratulations to Cavan Gaels, Lavey and Butlersbridge.

I would have been of the opinion last year the Gaels had dipped a bit from previous years but after witnessing the manner in which they tore through teams this year, I think they could have found something extra and may be ready to make a decent impression on the Ulster Championship. All the best to them.

We have to tackle the skin-towners again on Friday. Cracking match last time out which could of gone either way. We've been in commanding positions in all our relegation ties but just can't seem to get over the line. Hard to believe that this will be Ballinagh's 9th championship game. Please God we can do the business Friday and bate those bucking bumblebee baxtards!!... Sorry, nothing against Crosserlough... siege mentality and all that.

CavanCola

Quote from: Homer on October 07, 2009, 08:44:35 PM

We have to tackle the skin-towners again on Friday. Cracking match last time out which could of gone either way. We've been in commanding positions in all our relegation ties but just can't seem to get over the line. Hard to believe that this will be Ballinagh's 9th championship game. Please God we can do the business Friday and bate those bucking bumblebee baxtards!!... Sorry, nothing against Crosserlough... siege mentality and all that.

Anyone any idea why Kilnaleck is referred to as Skin-town? Does it refer to the inclement weather (take the skin of you).. or is there something more sinister going on down there!

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 06, 2009, 04:50:31 PM
I see the Ballinagh Crosserlough is going ahead in Breffni this friday after last sunday I'm looking forward to seeing an even enough contest, should be a classic!!!! Any truth that Mullahoran only gave a fraction of the gate back to the county board from the first game????

Always thought that Mullahoran were one of the big financial hitters in Cavan Football. Always have big name managers. Pascal Canavan, Justin McNulty, Tommy Dowd... No shortage of cash down there in Kilcogy.

boojangles

Good to see a few of the Golden Oldies back posting,thought we had lost yas! Homer and Cavan Cola.
Don't know about the rumours with the Mullahoran gate at the relegation match.I did hear that the County Board had to get a security man to transport the cash back to town after the game,there was that much of it. No wonder Mickedy blew it up early!!

jonb_cúl

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 07, 2009, 04:47:46 PM
Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 07, 2009, 12:19:30 PM

Is he still knocking about??? Holy Jasus. He was a total waste of time in the Cavan jersey that's all I know anyway.

He's doing the business up in Antrim anyhow, here's a report from their county final>

All too easy for St Gall's
ANTRIM SFC FINAL/St Gall's 2-20 Casement's 0-6: THE FINAL at Casement Park never rose above the standard of a challenge game as St Gall's dominated Portglenone.
After Rory Gallagher, the former Fermanagh and Cavan player, hit three points in the opening nine minutes the winners were on their way to the easiest of wins. They led by 0-11 to 0-3 at the break with the losers three points landed from frees by Gerard McAleese.
There was no relief for the challengers after the resumption with goals by CJ McGourty and Rory Gallagher leaving it just a matter of how many the holders would win by.
ST GALL'S: Ronan Gallagher; S Kennedy, A McClean, C Brady; T ONeill (0-2), A Healy, S Kelly; A Gallagher (0-2), S Burke; S Burke; K McGourty (0-1), Rory Gallagher (1-5, 0-2 frees), K McGourty (0-5); CJ McGourty (1-1), K Niblock (0-2), C Gallagher (0-1). Subs: S Burns (0-1, free) for Niblock (43 mins), P Veronica for Kelly (43 mins), D O'Haire for Rory Gallagher (49 mins), C O'Connor for Ronan Gallagher (51 mins), M Kelly for Kennedy (51 mins).
PORTGLENONE: B McCann; J Kearney, P Carey, A Kearney; K Rafferty, T Convery, J McKeever; M McCarry, N McKeever; M McAleese, O Doherty, M Graham; G McAleese (0-4, all frees), G McCrickard, K Madden (0-2). Subs: O Kelly for Rafferty (42 mins), J Storey for McCrickard (42 mins), P McAleese for J McKeever (50 mins), BJ Donnelly for Madden (60 mins).
Referee: B Toland (Lamh Dhearg).
Babs Keating

PhilsJemmysField

Anybody know how many clubs has R Gallagher played with.

He must nearly have as many transfers as Robbie Keane at this stage

BallyhaiseMan

Ronan Gallagher; S Kennedy, A McClean, C Brady; T ONeill (0-2), A Healy, S Kelly; A Gallagher (0-2), S Burke; S Burke; K McGourty (0-1), Rory Gallagher (1-5, 0-2 frees), K McGourty (0-5); CJ McGourty (1-1), K Niblock (0-2), C Gallagher

Fermanagh Goalkeeper
Andy McClean and Colm Brady Antrim countymen
Terry O Neil and Sean Kelly Antrim Countymen
Aodan Gallagaher and Sean Burke Antrim countymen
Kieran McGourty,dont know if hes played for Antrim Senior Footballers,but alot of Antrim lads reckon hes the bets of the lot of the McGourtys.
Gallagher from Crosserlough
Kevin McGourty.
CJ
and Niblock.

thats a brilliant club team,dont know much about Kennedy,Healy and other Gallagher.
More i think about it,the more likely they will probably beat the Gaels,but who knows.

jonb_cúl

Babs Keating

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: jonb_cúl on October 08, 2009, 03:46:47 PM
Gallagher from Crosserlough ???

tongue in cheek remark jon,
remember Gallagher played all of about 4 games for Crosserlough the year he was with them.
You will get my extremely dry sense of humour once you're on here longer,dont worry  ;)