Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

We beat Drumlane by 2 in Milltown.Wind played havoc as well.Its a very exposed pitch out there.
Anybody hear any word on Gowna being re-instated to Division 1???
Would agree with BH Mans view about the Junior team.The last 2 years there has been a half arsed effort put into it.I dunno who's fault that was but if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Like what was the point in playing lads who had already played Senior Inter-County football? Surely the Junior team should be a Development panel for lads who mite make Senior in a year or two.Not lads who had already failed to make it.

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on October 03, 2009, 09:19:20 PM
We beat Drumlane by 2 in Milltown.Wind played havoc as well.Its a very exposed pitch out there.
Anybody hear any word on Gowna being re-instated to Division 1???
Would agree with BH Mans view about the Junior team.The last 2 years there has been a half arsed effort put into it.I dunno who's fault that was but if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Like what was the point in playing lads who had already played Senior Inter-County football? Surely the Junior team should be a Development panel for lads who mite make Senior in a year or two.Not lads who had already failed to make it.

You could argue the u21's were a half arsed effort too. Hopefully, this is a sign that both teams are to be taken more seriously. The current senior team has limited ability, we all know that, so it is important TC maximises their potential like Micko done in Wicklow and then tries to supplement the core of the squad with a few new faces to add to it to freshen up the scene and start something positive.

Agree with you entirely about the Junior team. It should be there for lads coming out of u21 or who are still u21 and of course there are always a few late developers in clubs that deserve a chance.

Last year, considering 14 of the starting team for the u21's were underage for the following year, would it not have made more sense to keep the nucleus of the squad together in the Junior competition to try and build on and improve for 2010? A few stronger, older players could have been added in to strengthen up the squad you know?

Lawrence of Knockbride

All the results are on Aertel now. Anybody know why the Drumgoon v Knockbride game isn't shown? Was it played?
Also who are the amalgamation in the minor final today?

put-it-up

Amalgamation is Bailieborough and Shercock Lawrence. Quite a good team between them but they played their league campaigns separately. Our lot won only one game i think and really struggled. This is the fourth year the amalgamation has taken place.

RacingPost09

Best of Luck to the four teams involved today!
I would love to see Killan Gaels and Denn winning!  ;D

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on October 04, 2009, 11:54:54 AM
Amalgamation is Bailieborough and Shercock Lawrence. Quite a good team between them but they played their league campaigns separately. Our lot won only one game i think and really struggled. This is the fourth year the amalgamation has taken place.

Would have to ask some questions about that Killan Gaels amalgamation.Correct me if Im wrong but did Bailieboro not win a Division 1 U-16 Championship 2 years ago? Shercock are also doing quite well at underage lately.I really don't know how that amalgamation was allowed TBH. Fair play to them today,they were by far the better team and it is great to see success going to that end of the county but the only way an amalgamation should be allowed to happen is if BOTH clubs are struggling to get numbers.That is not the case with Bailieboro and I don't think its the case with Shercock either.

In the Senior final-all I can say is there is no substitute for class and Cavan Gaels had it in abundance today with superb performances from Cathal Collins(My Man of the Match), Micky Lyng and Anthony Forde among others.The Gaels ability to hold possesion and always find a man with the ball was the main difference between the teams.
Fair play to Denn who put up a great fight and a great score but their lack of quality in a few areas was telling.

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree completely with your point on amalgamations Boojangles. It's not fair on the other clubs and it's not fair on the Balieboro & Shercock boys that are discarded to the subs bench.
Cathal Collins was everywhere in the first half of the senior game but Lyng was immense throughout. Every aspect of his game was outstanding. Did he get MOTM?
I was a little disappointed with Denn. They only really played with their usual passion for 5 minutes after they scored the penalty. I found it strange them putting Cahill on Johnston and he was handicapped by his early yellow card which he's had coming to him throughout the championship. I thought Hubert made a mess of a world of posession.

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 04, 2009, 07:33:47 PM
I agree completely with your point on amalgamations Boojangles. It's not fair on the other clubs and it's not fair on the Balieboro & Shercock boys that are discarded to the subs bench.
Cathal Collins was everywhere in the first half of the senior game but Lyng was immense throughout. Every aspect of his game was outstanding. Did he get MOTM?
I was a little disappointed with Denn. They only really played with their usual passion for 5 minutes after they scored the penalty. I found it strange them putting Cahill on Johnston and he was handicapped by his early yellow card which he's had coming to him throughout the championship. I thought Hubert made a mess of a world of posession.

Unsuprisingly Lyng got Man of the Match.he was immense,his goal was class and one point he got in the 2nd half was superb also.His passing though is what really sets him apart IMO.
Was strange that Cahill picked up Jelly but lets be honest who else could they have put on him.It obviously hindered Denn when he wasnt setting up attacks but they had to make a choice. Agree about Hubert,won a world of ball,won 2 scoreable frees but could have done so much more because he had the beating of his man.How he didnt give the ball inside in the 1st half was beyond me.

Denn Forever

I had to go.  And so we lost so everyone in Denn can blame me (as I said the team did well when I wasn't watching them).

As Bojangles said, there is no substitute for class.  In the first half, every ball that went past our 45 was scored.  Did CG have a wide in that 1st half?  Fair play to CG and I hope they do well in the Club Championship.  Will that game be held in Breffni as I think Cavan have home advantage?

We scored 2 11 and that would win most game but unfortunately this game was against CG and I know they slacked off a bit until we dame within 5 and they decided to stop messing around.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

shotstopper1

Quote from: put-it-up on October 04, 2009, 11:54:54 AM

The Bailieboro manager said in the Celt that the reason they had a poor league was due to players not being available for the league but subsequently they were available for the championship. Was this a ploy on their managements part so they'd be looked on more favourably when they proposed to amalgate with their neighbours?Also from looking through their players details on the programme they all seemed to have won at U 16 level, whether it be Div 1,2 or 3.The game itself was pretty poor with Killan being the better team , their forwards were more potent from play.Thought Carolan at no. 12 was MOM caused Ballyhaise lots of trouble.

On the senior final the gaels first have display has to have being the best display of football in Breffni in a long time,although if Denn forwards had to have taken their chances early on they would've caused the Gaels a lot more trouble.They had only 1 wide in that first half from Graham and kicked some marvellous points especially Johnston's first and 2 from Nelligan.Best of luck to them in Ulster.

BallyhaiseMan

Our Minors were dissapointing,can have no complaints,Much the better team won,
SS was correct
David Carolan number 12 for Killan was the best player on the park by a country mile,how he didnt get MOM,i will never know

Putitup whats the deal with Niall Kelly,when i seen him at underage he looked like he was going to be an absolute star,i had bookmarked him down as a future key man on the county minors.While he still looks promising and done well yesterday,but is not moving aswell as he was even 2 years ago.
One element in particular,his inability to turn at any speed whatsoever.
Has he had injury problems?

BallyhaiseMan

Cormac Nelligan would be 27/28 or am i mistaken?
I know he was on the panel years ago,but anytime ive seen CG this year he has been outstanding.
Fingers crossed,Michael Lyng doesnt pick up any injuries in the Ulster Club/ Sigerson this year
He was terrific yesterday,and seems to be back to his absolute best,his passing is sublime at times.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Nelligan is 29 per the match programme which was brilliantly presented I must say.
Does anyone know why Gowna were playing at the weekend when they're supposed to be suspended? Did they successfully appeal?

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on October 05, 2009, 07:22:19 PM
Nelligan is 29 per the match programme which was brilliantly presented I must say.
Does anyone know why Gowna were playing at the weekend when they're supposed to be suspended? Did they successfully appeal?

Gowna being Gowna dictated to the County Board that because they had an appeal in,they were still entitled to play their games. Cavan Gaels probably should have done the same thing.

SS1-Big game against Drung this week? If yas win are yas safe??

jonb_cúl

I see the Ballinagh Crosserlough is going ahead in Breffni this friday after last sunday I'm looking forward to seeing an even enough contest, should be a classic!!!! Any truth that Mullahoran only gave a fraction of the gate back to the county board from the first game????

I wonder how the gaels will do now in Ulster & against st galls in the first round? for the sake of putting a bit of pride back in cavan football i hope the get a fair run!!
You can't win derbies with donkeys.
Babs Keating
Before Tipp played Cork in 1990.