Barry Owens hangs them up

Started by orangeman, June 25, 2014, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Barry Owens has hung them up. He was some servant to Fermanagh. Came through the pain barrier on more than a good few occasions and gave all he had to the cause.

He doesn't owe Fermanagh a thing.

thewobbler

Such a player.

I honestly doubt there's been a better full back in the history of the game.

Rossfan

Best wishes on your retirement. A great servant of Fermanagh over the years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2014, 02:00:09 PM
Such a player.

Are you for real?

thewobbler

Absolutely. He was completely peerless there in the early noughties, before injuries took their toll and he ended up playing everywhere else.

The best full backs ever lists tend to be quite short, and someone like Mick Lyons will make it on reputation as much as ability. I'd have Owens marginally ahead of Fay as the best I've seen (and then there's a very considerable gap).

ardtole

Id agree with Wobbler there was  a 5/6 year period were he was consistently 8/10 every game he played. He played with such enthusiasm he made you want Fermanagh to win. Huge loss to Fermanagh, a fantastic player, at the peak of his powers he was as good as any full back.

rrhf

Knock Yer Mucker In

Completely agree, a serious brute of a man and serious full back, the equal of any you care to mention

FermGael

An absolute legend in my opinion. Bull of a man.
2 time all star.  The best full back i have ever seen ( and also not a bad full forward).
Will never forget his performance against Derry in the Ulster semi final in 08.
Gave everything to the county and stuck at it when it would have been easier to walk away.
Will be missed and impossible to replace.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Schkite

Fantastic player and the tributes are well earned. Very unfortunate not to have won championship silverware as he should have in 2008, but the standout fullback of the last decade.

macdanger2

Great player, best of luck to him

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: FermGael on June 25, 2014, 02:31:15 PM
Will never forget his performance against Derry in the Ulster semi final in 08.

That was the game that came to mind when I opened the thread.. He was immense, jaysus he wore his heart on his sleeve when it came to Fermanagh football. Excellent player..

5 Sams

Such a player.

What a statement Wobbs. We have had 3 better full backs in Down alone in the last 30 years. Not to mention Lyons, O'Keeffe, the Doc, Shields. His ability was magnified by the fact that he was an All Star from a weaker county.
The Aristocrat Years

BennyHarp

Great player and great servant to Fermanagh. When I first read Wobblers comment about him I chuckled a bit and thought that was a bit of hyperbole but the more I think about it, the more I understand what he means, as I can't think of too many better full backs in my lifetime.
That was never a square ball!!

thewobbler

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 25, 2014, 11:09:25 PM
Such a player.

What a statement Wobbs. We have had 3 better full backs in Down alone in the last 30 years. Not to mention Lyons, O'Keeffe, the Doc, Shields. His ability was magnified by the fact that he was an All Star from a weaker county.

Those few years I have on you meant I never saw Paddy Kennedy play.

The other 2, I presume you mean Deegans and Burns? Two converted midfielders who got out of the FB position as soon as they could.