Ulster Under 21 Football Club Championship (at Creggan)

Started by drici, December 12, 2010, 12:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intheknowhow

Whats everyone thoughts on the tournament? Potential winners? Dark horses! For me i think Scotstown and Kilcar will be hard to beat?

Magicsponge

I think all the teams will be hard to beat. Most teams would be capable of beating each other but I think Omagh and Mayobridge will be the favourites, but I wouldn't rule out the other 7 teams, not at all. Should be some good games.

Did Down play an u21 championship? If so wouldn't the teams have been more or less the same as last year since they played u20's?

blueannavy

yes down played an u21 championship this year so all teams had the same players as last year .. also burren beat mayobridge in last years u20 final by 2 or 3 points (i think) and went on to win ulster .. so hopefully mayobridge can give a good account of themselves in the compitition .

drici

Gold

Fermanagh club football really is far, far, far too far behind
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

TacadoirArdMhacha

St Patrick's 1-16 Belcoo (Fermanagh) 0-2

The first competitive fixture of 2012 for St Pat's was their much anticipated entry into the Ulster under 21 championship. This most welcome initiative is organised by the Kickhams Creggan club in County Antrim and it was they who hosted this preliminary round fixture. A good crowd of Cullyhanna supporters made the long journey and they were rewarded by a decent performance as St Pat's registered what turned out to be a fairly facile victory.

Perhaps understandably, the match got off to a slow start as the seven weeks without a competitive fixture meant Cullyhanna exhibited an element of ring rustiness. Although St Pat's dominated possession and territory in the opening stages, it was seven minutes before they fashioned the first scoring opportunity of the match, Kyle McEvoy pointing a free to register the opening score. Playing against a stiff breeze, scoring chances were a premium for Cullyhanna. Eleven minutes in, Belcoo capitalised on a rare attack with a point. It was ten minutes before the spectators were treated to another score but the point was well worth the wait as Eoin McArdle carried the ball out of defence before transferring to the overlapping Sean Connell who kicked a fine score. It was another defender who added to the Cullyhanna lead a minute later, a wonderful individual burst from Micky Murray allowing the corner back to kick an excellent score. That was to be the final score of a fairly poor first half. Without having played particularly well against the breeze, St Pat's will have been grateful for their half-time lead on a scoreline of 0-3 to 0-1.

Whatever was said at half-time certainly lifted the malaise that appeared to be overcoming the Cullyhanna side as they emerged from the half-time break a reinvigorated outfit. It took Colm Hoey merely 30 seconds to score the opening point of the half while a good pass from Pearse Casey four minutes in allowed Tony Donnelly to evade his marker and fire over a point. Cathal McGlade justified his half-time introduction within five minutes as he managed an excellent score. By this stage, the Cullyhanna pressure was incessant and Colm Hoey added to Belcoo's woes with a magnificent long range point. Cullyhanna were in total control of the match throughout the second half and were able to extend their advantage almost at will. A superb individual effort from Cathal McGlade gave them a seven point lead after 11 minutes of the second half, while substitute Rory O'Neill got into the scoring groove soon after entering the fray when he profited from a Sean Connell pass after an excellent crossfield ball from Gareth Mackin. 16 minutes into the half, Pearse Casey broke an opposition kickout expertly, finding Tony Donnelly who kicked a mammoth point to extend the lead to 9 points. By this stage the match was over as a contest with Belcoo showing few signs of mounting a fightback. Two pointed frees from Kyle McEvoy and Rory O'Neill respectively followed before Belcoo doubled their tally with a point. St Pat's were determined to finish the match with a flourish however and when Tony Donnelly found Rory O'Neill with a pass 3 minutes from time, he rattled the Belcoo net for the only goal of the game. It was exhibition stuff from Cullyhanna in the final stages as Cathal McGlade combined with Kyle McEvoy to allow the latter to kick a point before Rory O'Neill added to his tally with a minor score. There was still time for Conor Nugent to get his name on the scoresheet while Colm Hoey's third point of the second half brought proceedings to a close as Cullyhanna ran out comfortable victors on a scoreline of St Patrick's 1-16 Belcoo 0-2.

This was a very creditable performance and the freescoring nature of the second half was particularly pleasing. However the team should be under no illusions that the host club will provide much stiffer opposition next week and that further improvement will be required if our run in this competition is to be extended. The final score was perhaps harsh on Belcoo who played the match shorn of their midfielder and captain Brian Cox who missed the match through injury and were competitive throughout the first half. Culyhanna's defence as a unit coped very well, particularly when under sustained pressure facing the first half breeze. Eoin McArdle had a fine game while Colm Hoey's attacking runs were constant thorn in Belcoo's side. Pearse Casey got through a mountain of work in midfield, particularly in the difficult first half while Rory O'Neill exhibited scoring flair when introduced. Congratulations to Tony Donnelly who received the sponsors award for man of the match.

Cullyhanna now progress to play Kickhams Creggan at their pitch in County Antrim (134 Staffordstown Road, Randalstown County Antrim BT41 3LH) next Sunday 29th January. Throw in is at 12 45pm and we hope there will be a good crowd of travelling support in attendance.

Starting XV: Deaglan McArdle; Kieran McCooey, Darren Mackin, Micky Murray (0-1); Sean Connel; (0-1), Eoin McArdle, Colm Hoey (0-3), Pearse Casey, Tony Donnelly (0-2), Genie McCooey, Neil Donnelly, Kevin Hoey; Kyle McEvoy (0-3), Gareth Mackin, Conor Nugent (0-1). Subs Used: Cathal McGlade (0-2) Rory O'Neill (1-3), Liam McGlade
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

intheknowhow

Belcoo must have been poor? Or where Cullyhanna too strong? I certainly wouldn't have thought Cullyhanna would have won with so much to spare!

Armamike

What's the story with Robbie Tasker - is he not available?
That's just, like your opinion man.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: intheknowhow on January 23, 2012, 11:43:44 AM
Belcoo must have been poor? Or where Cullyhanna too strong? I certainly wouldn't have thought Cullyhanna would have won with so much to spare!

To be honest I'd say they were the worst team we've faced all year, certainly Maghery, Clan na Gael and Armagh Harps would all have beaten them comfortably. To be fair, losing their best player before the match didn't help. I understand that only 3 teams entered the u21 championship in Fermanagh.

Initially I was a bit disappointed we'd been drawn in the preliminary round as it was an extra match simply to get to the same stage as everybody else but in hindsight its worked out perfectly. We've gotten a competitive match under our belts and have had a chance to familiarise ourselves with the surroundings before taking on the hosts next week.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Magicsponge

I think u21 football in Fermanagh is a bit of a joke with most teams not entering for one reason or another. Belcoo have won it 4 years in a row, in fact it probably would have been 5 if they hadn't been disqualified 5 years ago, at which point I do think most teams entered. It doesn't say much about the state of their u21 football if Belcoo took such a bad beating yesterday and they came out of Fermanagh with ease. Cox would have been a boost to them but I highly doubt he could have won the game for them.

intheknowhow

Well its a win for Cullyhanna so thats a good thing. Creggan though are a different story becuase they are a very well coached efficient team. Should be a very good game! Im really interested in the Omagh v Scotstown match the following week. I think the winner of that match should win it

drici

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on January 11, 2012, 10:44:27 AM
It's a strange name Kickham and not one I'd be too familiar with in Irish. I'd follow the examples of Bóthar Chiceam and Sráid Chiceam though, which you would think gives Páirc Chiceam. Strange name though so fcuk knows.

Never heard Ó Ciceam.

Ballymun use Pairc Ciceam

Magicsponge

Two games on tomorrow, Creggan v Cullyhanna and Mayobridge V Assan Gaels. Cullyhanna had a handy win v Belcoo and have had a game under their belts which might be an advantage but then Creggan are at home, I couldn't call this game. Think Mayobridge will beat Assan Gaels, Down is a tough county to come out of especially with Burren in there and I think it's a toss up between Mayobridge and Omagh for who wins the competition.

randomtask