Michael Murphy

Started by BennyCake, October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

MM is a freak of a man who seems to be in the form of his life this year.

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on August 01, 2019, 04:35:13 PM
Is it just me or are the comparisons between Murphy and O'Shea not fair?? While O'Shea is an excellent player he's nowhere close to the level of ability or skill that Murphy is.

Seems strange to me that they would lump the 2 of them together just because they're big lads!

Murphy can do everything O'Shea can do but he can also score at will in most games.

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on August 01, 2019, 05:56:10 PM
Is it just me or are the comparisons between Murphy and O'Shea not fair?? While O'Shea is an excellent player he's nowhere close to the level of ability or skill that Murphy is.

Seems strange to me that they would lump the 2 of them together just because they're big lads!

Murphy can do everything O'Shea can do but he can also score at will in most games.

Both are similar the in that they are both expected to fill a lot of roles for their team. That is why you will not get Murphy compared to Brian Fenton. Fenton has only one role to fill on the Dublin team. Nothing more is expected of him.

JoeSoap

I think it's because they're the same age, burst on the scene at similar times and aye, they're similar builds. A big factor too for a good few years, both of them would get horrid treatment from opposition and refs would do nothing to protect them.

But yes I'd say it's probably not fair to compare O'Shea to Murphy on the pitch. I think O'Shea has perhaps suffered in that maybe people think he is a similar player to Murphy and he gets asked to do a lot of different things for Mayo, whereas if he was given a singular role that he could excel at, he would probably be even better than he is now.

RedHand88

Remember the day O'Se marked Donaghy. I was one of those moments you remember where you were when you saw it.

thewobbler

Look I could be wrong here, but I think you'd need to go back to 2012 to find an "at the level expected" performance from Murphy against Mayo. This is surely related to the fact that he rarely comes up against similar physical specimens.

Murphy is clearly a step up on O'Shea (and I mean no disrespect to AOS here, for Murphy is an all time great of the game in my eyes), but it would seem that Aidan and Seamie are among a select few who can reduce Murphy's influence on the game.

Wildweasel74

Murphy better overall footballer.  OShea the better midfielder. I still have Connolly ahead of both fball wise.

imtommygunn

Quote from: thewobbler on August 02, 2019, 01:07:35 PM
Look I could be wrong here, but I think you'd need to go back to 2012 to find an "at the level expected" performance from Murphy against Mayo. This is surely related to the fact that he rarely comes up against similar physical specimens.

Murphy is clearly a step up on O'Shea (and I mean no disrespect to AOS here, for Murphy is an all time great of the game in my eyes), but it would seem that Aidan and Seamie are among a select few who can reduce Murphy's influence on the game.

Murphy's sheer body size helps him win a lot of ball.He doesn't have that advantage against those two. I think he needs to be further up the field in this game to influence it as they might curb him a bit more again. Not completely but more than anyone else so far this year.

screenexile

Being well shackled today!!

tonto1888

Ye couldn't like him at all

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyrone08

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2019, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2019, 07:11:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 03, 2019, 06:52:18 PM

Really?

Think he spoke a little too soon

Hope this game today shows what kind of player he is. A very dirty person who constantly fouls and seems to constantly get away with it. His overall size.helps him but please don talk about him being the best player in Ireland

Hound

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:23:22 PM

Really?

Hope this game today shows what kind of player he is. A very dirty person who constantly fouls and seems to constantly get away with it. His overall size.helps him but please don talk about him being the best player in Ireland
Some of his teammates letting him down today, he's done all he can

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:23:22 PM

Really?

f**k me you're an idiot.

"Very dirty person"