Michael Murphy

Started by BennyCake, October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 24, 2019, 05:43:18 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 24, 2019, 05:25:11 PM
You wont find 2 worse players for mouthing to the ref than Murphy and ryan mchugh. Always over complaining. I remember years ago in an article where Murphy admitted that peter harte got special attention in a donegal v tyrone game in 2013.
Jaysus imagine paying special attention to one of the oppositions best players. Donegal should be ashamed. Ffs have you watched this sport before?

There's a few Tyrone boys on here who seem unusually oversensitive to the perceived misconduct of various Donegal GAA figures.

nrico2006

Quote from: ck on July 24, 2019, 04:05:43 PM
Some funny comments here on Murphy.
My own view is that he gets away with more than most players in the pitch. Late tackles etc that could be reds are never reds, always yellows. In the Div 2 league final against Meath he should have got a red card for a very poor tackle along the sideline but got a yellow, minutes later he pulled down a player which was a yellow and the ref just warned him. That brings me onto my second point - he absolutely influences referees, no doubt about it. You see him constantly beside refs shouting at them and he usually gets away with it. He manipulates decisions, steals yards and takes opposition players out of it.

Now I'm not saying he's trying to do any worse than any other player but I am saying he gets away with more. There's no doubting he's one of the greats, but maybe he uses that greatness to influence games by manipulating referees?

Fair play to him then. That's a skill in itself and everybody would utilise it if they could.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trueblue1234

Quote from: J70 on July 24, 2019, 05:55:10 PM
You wont find 2 worse players for mouthing to the ref than Murphy and ryan mchugh. Always over complaining. I remember years ago in an article where Murphy admitted that peter harte got special attention in a donegal v tyrone game in 2013.
Jaysus imagine paying special attention to one of the oppositions best players. Donegal should be ashamed. Ffs have you watched this sport before?

There's a few Tyrone boys on here who seem unusually oversensitive to the perceived misconduct of various Donegal GAA figures.

To be fair we get enough ourselves. Take a look at the players fake injury thread and the usual WUM posts from Lenny, screen etc. Wrecks decent threads. And your right we've a fair number of similar posters from Tyrone as well. T'is little better than Hogan stand at times.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tyrone08

The special attention I was referring to was sledging which sure apparently only tyrone players do. The only reason he admitted it was there was lots of rumours going around that they were giving him abuse about michaela. He denied this was the case he did admit they were giving verbal abuse.

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 24, 2019, 09:42:35 PM

The special attention I was referring to was sledging which sure apparently only tyrone players do. The only reason he admitted it was there was lots of rumours going around that they were giving him abuse about michaela. He denied this was the case he did admit they were giving verbal abuse.

It was the 2011 game where those allegations were going around, including being vigourously voiced on here, all without an ounce of evidence.

Kevin Cassidy detailed the yapping at Harte during in the Bogue book.

He also said he ended up feeling bad for Harte as his game went to pieces and ended up easing off on the shouting at him when he was lining up the frees.

And he also spoke about all the yapping the likes of Ricey and the lads used to send their way.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: J70 on July 24, 2019, 11:12:39 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 24, 2019, 09:42:35 PM

It was the 2011 game where those allegations were going around, including being vigourously voiced on here, all without an ounce of evidence.

Kevin Cassidy detailed the yapping at Harte during in the Bogue book.

He also said he ended up feeling bad for Harte as his game went to pieces and ended up easing off on the shouting at him when he was lining up the frees.

And he also spoke about all the yapping the likes of Ricey and the lads used to send their way.

Tit for tat.

Nothing stuff.

Murphy is a class act. I'm from Tyrone, these lads do what they do - No point crying over what someone might have said, Murphy got plenty of nasty belts from McMahons et al in the day and not a word of it.

Pisses me off this back and forth 'but he done this...'. Who cares. They are on the pitch willing to do anything to win for their counties and to be honest, it's not really any of our business.

Take county lenses off for a minute and appreciate a true giant of the game when he's at his pomp.

JoeSoap

He is our greatest ever player, there's no doubt about it. All those years of nonsense punditry talking about "Murphy should be in at the square", most of them hadn't a clue what Michael does for Donegal in reality. He seems to be really enjoying his football this year, it's the first year in a while that he has come into the season without any niggly injuries that won't clear up fully. I think you'll start seeing him a lot more as a centre-forward type, he was playing some lovely kick passes into McBrearty and Brennan in the first half v Kerry before the midfield injuries had him play much deeper.

He gives absolutely everything for his club and county, an incredible leader from such a young age as well.

Rudi

In my opinion he is the best player in the country. He has it all size, skill and a great footballing brian. Also lead an unheralded Letterkenny IT team to Trench cup success earlier this year. Very good with kids reagrding photos, autographs and event apperances, decent fella.
One small thing I dont like about his game, is he constantly leads with the hand and pushes opponents out of the way, per rule book this is not allowed, but he gets away with it.
Overall fantastic player and very decent fella, Donegal are fortunate to have him.

rosnarun

Ive always found it odd that Murphy continually wear the number 14 jersey  even though he has been playing midfield for years .
Is this Just pure Ego showing the management who really runs the time. 'Im Michael murphy I do what I Want?'
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

imtommygunn

Maybe he doesn't choose the jersey number?

JoeSoap

Quote from: rosnarun on July 26, 2019, 02:25:50 PM
Ive always found it odd that Murphy continually wear the number 14 jersey  even though he has been playing midfield for years .
Is this Just pure Ego showing the management who really runs the time. 'Im Michael murphy I do what I Want?'

What an idiotic statement.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoeSoap on July 26, 2019, 03:02:58 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 26, 2019, 02:25:50 PM

What an idiotic statement.

Its not his only one the past week.

Jayop

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 26, 2019, 10:30:01 AM

Tit for tat.

Nothing stuff.

Murphy is a class act. I'm from Tyrone, these lads do what they do - No point crying over what someone might have said, Murphy got plenty of nasty belts from McMahons et al in the day and not a word of it.

Pisses me off this back and forth 'but he done this...'. Who cares. They are on the pitch willing to do anything to win for their counties and to be honest, it's not really any of our business.

Take county lenses off for a minute and appreciate a true giant of the game when he's at his pomp.

Well said. The only comment I made regarding him is that he gets away with a lot from refs but that's not his fault. He's an absolute beast of a player and you'd really struggle to come up with another man at the minute with as much in the locker as he has.

Sean Boylan was saying they are as close to a one man team as he's seen. I don't buy that at all, they have some other truly fantastic players but at the same time above all teams and players in the country, if you take Murphy from that Donegal team they don't look half as tough a prospect. I don't think you could say that about another single top 5/6 team and one player. That's more a testament to him than a slight on the rest of the panel.

inthrough

Quote from: Jayop on July 26, 2019, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 26, 2019, 10:30:01 AM

Tit for tat.

Nothing stuff.

Well said. The only comment I made regarding him is that he gets away with a lot from refs but that's not his fault. He's an absolute beast of a player and you'd really struggle to come up with another man at the minute with as much in the locker as he has.

Sean Boylan was saying they are as close to a one man team as he's seen. I don't buy that at all, they have some other truly fantastic players but at the same time above all teams and players in the country, if you take Murphy from that Donegal team they don't look half as tough a prospect. I don't think you could say that about another single top 5/6 team and one player. That's more a testament to him than a slight on the rest of the panel.
It's a bit of a double edged sword for Donegal in that the is such a great player that he overshadows the whole team even though there are some great players there.

As for his tackling, I think half the problem is that the is so powerful that a hit from him has far more effect than from most other players. Mind you I do have to agree that he sails close to the wind at times.

screenexile

Is it just me or are the comparisons between Murphy and O'Shea not fair?? While O'Shea is an excellent player he's nowhere close to the level of ability or skill that Murphy is.

Seems strange to me that they would lump the 2 of them together just because they're big lads!