Michael Murphy

Started by BennyCake, October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthDublinBro

The Mayo lad is well within his rights to hate Murphy. He does have a bit of a scummy streak in him as seen in his late hit against the Cavan goalie.

nrico2006

Murphy has fired in a few lates hits in his time but nothing that he hasn't been entitled too given the abuse he takes.  I would never look at him and think he is a sc**bag for anything he has done on the pitch, run of the mill stuff really.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: rosnarun on July 23, 2019, 03:16:08 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 23, 2019, 12:45:57 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 22, 2019, 11:57:17 PM
Quote from: inthrough on July 22, 2019, 11:38:53 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 22, 2019, 04:00:54 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 22, 2019, 07:04:28 AM
Quote from: omochain on July 22, 2019, 06:46:24 AM
The player of the Championship so far. Most important player to his team and he always comes through in the clutch. Now if he had sense he would move to Keady ;)

He'd return to his parents county and we'd finally win the shagging thing - maybe
Id rather win or lose  it fairly that have the likes of murphy on the team.
"The likes of Murphy"  What the hell does that mean?
Wouldn't dignify that with an answer if I was you. Any football fan knows Murphy's an absolute class act and has been one of the top players in Ireland for the best part of a decade.

+1
murphy is one of the nastiest hoors in the game always mouthing whining trying to intimidate ETC  but to refs he's the baby Jesus
A bit like Naomh Cillian (na n-uileann géara)??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

Exactly. I can't believe I'm in here defending a Donegal player but he's don't nothing that many other players from every county does all the time. My only gripe is that he gets away with a lot more but that's down to the refs to decide on, not him.

If you can't seperate the player from the man then you really need to go outside and talk to people more. This isn't soccer ffs.

inthrough

While I agree that he does suffer from the odd rush of blood to the head, the hit on the Cavan keeper being an example, I can't help but think it's his sheer bulk & physicallity that gets him into trouble at times.

He is a collosus & a hit from him is always going to look & feel worse than from the average player.

Angelo

Murphy is a bully on the pitch. The best players have to be able to look after themselves and cross that line from time to time.

He's an extraordinary footballer and it's great to see him back to his brilliant best after a few years of looking like he was going to be flogged playing everywhere for Donegal. The thing I admire most about Murphy is that there doesn't seem to be any ego about him, he's a superstar of gaelic football but he plays whatever role he can give his team the most from - even if it's the donkey work.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Wildweasel74

Talking to Murphy and big gallagher at a Derry game before the Ulster final with Tyrone few yrs bck. 2 lads talked away. Nice as you get.

larryin89

Will aido nullify his influence the next day or would it be a job for lee Keegan , I think I'd go with Keegan , perhaps it sounds a little unorthodox for an attacking hb but he's not playing great ,obviously still a niggle but a man marking job on a star  brings the best out in him .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

StephenC

Quote from: larryin89 on July 24, 2019, 06:25:10 AM
Will aido nullify his influence the next day or would it be a job for lee Keegan , I think I'd go with Keegan , perhaps it sounds a little unorthodox for an attacking hb but he's not playing great ,obviously still a niggle but a man marking job on a star  brings the best out in him .

Aidan O'S did a great job against MM in the 2nd half of the league game in Cbar.

rosnarun

Quote from: Jayop on July 23, 2019, 04:35:03 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 23, 2019, 04:13:41 PM
I really don't care what player do when they are not playing that's no concern of any body .
its their conduct on the pitch only that Supporters can only judge them .

im sure the Magee  volunteers in puppy shelters but is still  a bollixes on the pitch

What a load of utter bollocks. This is the GAA and without getting all misty eyed of course you judge an amatuer player with how he conducts himself off the pitch as well as on, just the same as you would do with a club player and how he maybe helps out with the younger players etc. There's a few lads that go over and above to interact with supporters, especially younger fans and those are the lads that these young fans will put on a pedestal. Murphy is seemingly great, Aiden O'Shea is another.

Honestly don't understand why some people bother with GAA at all. Like I think Johnny Cooper is a complete kn**ker on the pitch but that's kinda his job and he's f**king excellent at it. Does that mean I have a lesser opinion of him as a man? Does it shite. Because I'm a grown up with the ability to separate things logically.

you start off say my post was a load of bollocks and that is you right but when you end it by basically making the same point as I do im confused.

what #t im saying I don't care how well MM or any other player treat young kids in wheelchairs and grannies in nursing homes that just make them possibly a good person, if their motivation is right and they  DO it when the cameras aren't rolling . that's his personal private business
what is of concern to me is how he behaves on the pitch and that leaves an awful lot to be desired and no he does not get a lot of abuse from the opposition because  a strong wind would knock him down and he wins a free  which he invariably scores .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ck

Some funny comments here on Murphy.
My own view is that he gets away with more than most players in the pitch. Late tackles etc that could be reds are never reds, always yellows. In the Div 2 league final against Meath he should have got a red card for a very poor tackle along the sideline but got a yellow, minutes later he pulled down a player which was a yellow and the ref just warned him. That brings me onto my second point - he absolutely influences referees, no doubt about it. You see him constantly beside refs shouting at them and he usually gets away with it. He manipulates decisions, steals yards and takes opposition players out of it.

Now I'm not saying he's trying to do any worse than any other player but I am saying he gets away with more. There's no doubting he's one of the greats, but maybe he uses that greatness to influence games by manipulating referees?

tyrone08

You wont find 2 worse players for mouthing to the ref than Murphy and ryan mchugh. Always over complaining. I remember years ago in an article where Murphy admitted that peter harte got special attention in a donegal v tyrone game in 2013.

imtommygunn

Sean Cavanagh was the same. As were the o'ses. Well more dara I think. If you read shefflin's book he was always at it too.

Murphy can't tackle. Sometimes he tackles very lazily and sometimes cynically. He's that strong he could wreck someone easy enough.

He's not quite the monster he's being made out but not exactly clean either.

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 24, 2019, 05:25:11 PM
You wont find 2 worse players for mouthing to the ref than Murphy and ryan mchugh. Always over complaining. I remember years ago in an article where Murphy admitted that peter harte got special attention in a donegal v tyrone game in 2013.

I remember Murphy getting plenty of special attention in that championship game that year too.

But carry on.

Armagh18

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 24, 2019, 05:25:11 PM
Jaysus imagine paying special attention to one of the oppositions best players. Donegal should be ashamed. Ffs have you watched this sport before?