Started by BennyCake, October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: JimStynes on October 29, 2013, 08:31:37 PM
Quote from: Schkite on October 29, 2013, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 29, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 29, 2013, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 28, 2013, 09:29:56 PM
The man's a genius, and deserves his own thread. I reckon he's the best player in Ireland right now.

He put in a majestic performance against Australia, and in last weeks Donegal final by all accounts, just 24 hours after playing for Ireland in Cavan.

The man has everything. High fielding, can set up scores, great free taker, can play in a few positions, an accurate scorer, great strength and stamina.

He's one of the few players in the game that is worth paying in to see.

Colm Cooper is the best.  Murphy is good, but sometimes reports can exaggerrated about performances, i.e man of the match last week in the County final because he scored 1-5 yet none were from play.

His man of the match award had zero to do with his score total.

Get some info on his actual performance before commenting.

A small segment from the game but his flick in the build up to another of Glenswilly's goals was a brilliant bit of improvisation and skill, something that almost all other players wouldn't even think of, or would make a balls of, but Murphy executed it perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLQyK6quM4

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the best player in Ireland right now, but he's up there and he has many years left.

Am I the only one who thinks this flick is overrated and nothing special? Still he is some talent, complete beast of a man. For me the Gooch is out on his own as best in the game at the minute.

Skill-wise there was nothing to it. However he took two men out of the game with it. In that regard it was clever and nicely improvised.
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

I glad someone started this thread. if I was back playing now i'd love to play alongside Michael murphy. hes a super footballer with a great attitude, tons of confidence and very unselfish.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

We might not turn up on Sunday, with Finn McCool playing flicking balls around like tiddlly winks and scoring 1-5 to boot and bookies having Glenswilly favs it will be a walk in the park
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 29, 2013, 09:32:00 PM
We might not turn up on Sunday, with Finn McCool playing flicking balls around like tiddlly winks and scoring 1-5 to boot and bookies having Glenswilly favs it will be a walk in the park

Why would they not be favourites, albeit slight favourites ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

rodney trotter

Milltown, the game is in Donegal and they have one of the best footballers in the Country in the side. Also an All Ireland winning player in midfield in Neil Gallagher. Slight favs is hardly a surprise even if its only their second time paying Ulster Cub football.

rrhf

But what about the megourtys

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 29, 2013, 09:38:47 PM

Why would they not be favourites, albeit slight favourites ?

Tradition is the reason, but that suits our lads, takes pressure off as we don't do well when favs (Kilcoo last year). Donegal teams have only won this once before 75, for whatever reasons they must just go on the lash. Maybe this year will be different, hopefully not. I believe it will be plenty behind the ball sorta game, we've been playing against that all year and haven't really done well in fairness, just getting over the line against the 3 teams that deployed those tactics.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

You are definitely copying my posts!!!!

Glenswilly will be very difficult to beat though if they bring their A game to the field and really they could be the surprise package of this years competition.  I am honest in that I don't really know much about their whole team but in Murphy and Gallagher you have 2 big, strong good footballers who are perfectly built for the dog fight of November football so if you can compliment them with 6-8 good solid club footballers then they could do damage.  Can understand why they might be slight favourites given the Murphy factor and also the bounce of winning the title again and maybe a sense of unfinished business from the last one as they did go on the lash after it.  Maybe a greater focus this time.

However, against that you have a very experienced St Gall's team who have been down this road before and know what is needed to win it.  The one thing that doesn't win generally in these types of games are the ultra defensive teams as you need to be able to have a good spread of scorers as generally the teams are generally fairly evenly matched in terms of fitness and size so the team with the greater know how will always have a distinct advantage.  Will be an interesting one alright.

nrico2006

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 30, 2013, 09:27:50 AM

You are definitely copying my posts!!!!

Glenswilly will be very difficult to beat though if they bring their A game to the field and really they could be the surprise package of this years competition.  I am honest in that I don't really know much about their whole team but in Murphy and Gallagher you have 2 big, strong good footballers who are perfectly built for the dog fight of November football so if you can compliment them with 6-8 good solid club footballers then they could do damage.  Can understand why they might be slight favourites given the Murphy factor and also the bounce of winning the title again and maybe a sense of unfinished business from the last one as they did go on the lash after it.  Maybe a greater focus this time.

However, against that you have a very experienced St Gall's team who have been down this road before and know what is needed to win it.  The one thing that doesn't win generally in these types of games are the ultra defensive teams as you need to be able to have a good spread of scorers as generally the teams are generally fairly evenly matched in terms of fitness and size so the team with the greater know how will always have a distinct advantage.  Will be an interesting one alright.

Big Bonner will be a handful too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

Is Kevin McGourty playing or suspended?

St Galls have a lot of experience in ulster and should really be favourites but could be tough enough and they haven't waltzed antrim this year which they usually do. However I think they've done as much as needed to.

rodney trotter

I saw Glenswilly beat Cavan Gaels in 2011 , think it was a week after they won their first Co Final. Most of the team had been on the drink all week and hadn't done much preparation for the Gaels game but turned up and beat the Gaels in Breffni . Latton beat them in the next round in Donegal, I think Glenswilly were confident of beating Latton, so they might have some extra hunger on Sunday, although  Galls are an experienced  team .

Bonner is a good footballer , recalled to the Donegal panel for next seaon and Gary McFadden  is another good footballer, good at free's.

redcard

The man's a genius, and deserves his own thread. I reckon he's the best player in Ireland right now.

He put in a majestic performance against Australia, and in last weeks Donegal final by all accounts, just 24 hours after playing for Ireland in Cavan.

The man has everything. High fielding, can set up scores, great free taker, can play in a few positions, an accurate scorer, great strength and stamina.

Colm Cooper is the best.  Murphy is good, but sometimes reports can exaggerrated about performances, i.e man of the match last week in the County final because he scored 1-5 yet none were from play.

A small segment from the game but his flick in the build up to another of Glenswilly's goals was a brilliant bit of improvisation and skill, something that almost all other players wouldn't even think of, or would make a balls of, but Murphy executed it perfectly.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the best player in Ireland right now, but he's up there and he has many years left.

Micheal should have picked it up McFadden threw it and Bonnar was in the square  8)

Hardy

Quote from: redcard on October 30, 2013, 11:01:08 AM

Bonnar was in the square  8)

Spot on. But it was the big square.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: redcard on October 30, 2013, 11:01:08 AM

Micheal should have picked it up McFadden threw it and Bonnar was in the square  8)

He wasn't in the square when the ball was played though!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 30, 2013, 10:30:35 AM
Is Kevin McGourty playing or suspended?

St Galls have a lot of experience in ulster and should really be favourites but could be tough enough and they haven't waltzed antrim this year which they usually do. However I think they've done as much as needed to.

Suspended and not playing I hear had he been not suspended, got his 8 weeks reduced also. Kevin be the first to admit he's not fit. We've been stiffled this year Tommy, don't how many games you have been to but we've played against packed defences all the time, really hard to break down. I'd be worried if Glenswilly leave Murphy up front on his own a draw our players out and lob in the big ball to him and Andy, though in fairness Andy is playing really well lately.

Should be a craic tussle, hopefully we are cute enough to sneak through