National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Well done to Laois on last nights result
In balance I think they deserved it but I thought the referee was pretty bias
Antrim scored more from play with Laois only hitting 7 points
20 dead ball scores, one good 65 and a beautiful side line cut from Kavanagh apart the rest  was frees
Well done to King for hitting them over
Do you guys think It was a dirty match or enough to warrant 18 frees

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

burdizzo

Laois scored more than seven points from play. I can remember 9, and the GAA website has it at 10. However, I take your point - it wasn't a dirty match at all, and there were some harmless enough frees given. Wouldn't particularly say the ref was biased, though. It seems to be the way that the lower league games get the less experienced, and probably fussier, referees. Anyway, plenty of those frees were difficult enough, and King didn't miss any. And when you have a striker - Rowland - who can knock them over from well inside his own half, then your score from frees will go up.
Besides, I hear frees kept ye in it against Dublin?!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: burdizzo on February 18, 2018, 02:11:56 PM
Laois scored more than seven points from play. I can remember 9, and the GAA website has it at 10. However, I take your point - it wasn't a dirty match at all, and there were some harmless enough frees given. Wouldn't particularly say the ref was biased, though. It seems to be the way that the lower league games get the less experienced, and probably fussier, referees. Anyway, plenty of those frees were difficult enough, and King didn't miss any. And when you have a striker - Rowland - who can knock them over from well inside his own half, then your score from frees will go up.
Besides, I hear frees kept ye in it against Dublin?!

Laois man besides me was keeping the scores, Laois had three points from play in first half and nine frees
Your right about Dublin match but Dublin discipline was brutal and completely irrelevant to last nights match
Both teams where not dirty last night. Thought you where getting some really soft ones at critical times but to say we where robbed would be stretching it.
Think we will meet again in relegation later and I hope we play better or we deserve to go down

burdizzo

Well, I was pretty sure it was 13 to 8 at half-time, so he must've missed something himself!
I agree, we probably will meet in the relegation later - and that being up your way will make it a lot more difficult for Laois.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: burdizzo on February 18, 2018, 03:09:50 PM
Well, I was pretty sure it was 13 to 8 at half-time, so he must've missed something himself!
I agree, we probably will meet in the relegation later - and that being up your way will make it a lot more difficult for Laois.

That's my understanding correct me if Imm wrong.
Because we only have two home matches and you guys have three, we have relegation match or is it neutral venue.

blueandwhite1

Ref aside, it was very impressive to see so many Antrim people make it down last night. Not an easy drive on a dark and cold evening.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 18, 2018, 06:39:51 PM
Ref aside, it was very impressive to see so many Antrim people make it down last night. Not an easy drive on a dark and cold evening.

2 hours 40 minutes, not to bad was home just after midnight, some of the players from down the glens probably got home around 2 o clock in the morning of the bus
Portlaoise not the worst, Salthill or years gone by cork and limerick town are B.ll breakers

redsetanta

I thought that it was great win on Saturday night mainly because Laois didn't play particularly well. They put in far better performances against both Limercik and Galway. It was a very scrappy, stop/start game and the first touch for both teams was poor. Once again the inability to put the ball in the net when presented with the chance. We should have had at least one or two goals considering the amount of chances we created. While great to get the points, a 10 or 11 point win wouldn't have flattered us.

While there were mistakes against Antrim I think the backs are playing well overall. Midfield was solid enough and Ross King didn't miss anything. The forward line as a unit could have been better but the likes of Cha and Willie Dunphy will have much better games in a Laois jersey. Comerford for his first start did very well and it was great to see substitutions making a difference. Downey and Kavanagh made their mark when them came in.

Considering we are still without Cahir, Dwayne, Picky, Collier it bodes well for later in the year. We should have no fear going into the last two games based on performances so far. Both Offaly and Dublin are out of sorts and it's a real opportunity to get the points and avoid a relegation scrap and look forward to a q/f instead.
Our scoring difference could have been much better but as it stands we are ahead of both Offally and Dublin in that department and the dubs still have to play Galway.

We have definately shown progress and there's no reason we can't target a 3rd place finish which would be a great achievement for all involved and would set things up nicely for the championship. The main thing is to keep motoring and stay as injury free as possible.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

I wouldn't be too hard on our touch on Saturday, I thought it was excellent at times. The ground conditions were diabolical. Hurling on heavy ground with patches of sand is not ideal and did suit the bigger Antrim lads at times.

Agree that the forwards need to be producing far more from play, especially the half forward line.

Would love to see us win one of the next two games. Offaly will no doubt have targeted next week in Tullamore as a must win so we will have to be at our absolute best to have a chance.

Giovanni

Must say I enjoy watching this team at the moment. I thought the skills levels (including touch) have gradually improved over the last while and it's great to see. They seem like an honest bunch of lads and have some top class players.

In my opinion, Paddy Purcell is as good a midfielder as there is in the country. You'd go a long way to see better freetaking than Ross King's. Lee Cleere is a top notch corner back and Leigh Bergin has coped with pretty much everything thrown at him this year. I know we don't have the strength to compete at the very highest level but we certainly have individual players that can compete at any level. If they could win the next two (which I don't think is unrealistic), that would be the kind of progress they deserve in my opinion.

Mad Mentor

One thing I noted was that there seems to be a good team spirit  in the squad. They all went off together as a group at half time and when subs came on there was a genuine touch with the player replaced. I thought we were a bit loose in the tackle sometimes whereas Antrim always seemed to have a tighter grip on our lads, but overall a heartening performance.

redsetanta

There is definately a good team spirit.

I also should have mentioned Foyle as well who was well involved and scored a cracking point. Was out a bit far from goals at times but would like to see him closer as he's our best bet to bag a goal.

What's the story with John Lennon and Ryan Mullaney? Are they still injured?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

Have to say the team is going well and moving forward into the year I think the harder ground will benefit Laois and this team has plenty of potential.

Offaly will be a stern test and in many ways its Offalys biggest game of the league, for their own sanity they will desperately want to beat us more than ever and with Kelly leading us into Tullamore it'll add extra spice. All the pressure is on Offaly , they have to win this match or their match with Dublin and all the hype that surrounded that win will mean nothing and they will effectively be at square one.

I really fancy Laois to put up a good performance and get by Offaly.

Clubber Lang

The game with Offaly will have a serious championship feel to it. Win that game and both counties will see it as signs of continuing progress. The opposite is the case for the team that loses out. In Offaly's case all the positively generated from their opening day Croke Park win will be eroded away (would be sweet if it is this Laois team that can do it). From a Laois perspective, we have beaten them on a couple of occasions the last couple of years and it has been the benchmark of our progress. To lose/not be competitive would be a blow to the apparent steps forward taken in the opening three games of this year's league.

I fear for Laois if dragged into a relegation play-off. In all likelihood it will be played in Páirc MacUílín in Ballycastle, Antrim and against a physically superior Antrim side on a tight pitch, Laois may come undone. This panel would benefit from a continued stay in division 1b so lets hope they can pick up the required results in their remaining group games.

blueandwhite1

Offaly have plenty going for them next week. They are at home and they have plenty of seasoned hurlers on board - older lads with a bit of size that we will find it difficult to handle. They are fit and motivated and should be much better than last year.

This was their team against Galway:

Offaly: E Cahill; B Conneely, S Gardiner, T Spain; D O'Toole, P Camon, J Quinn (D Shortt 35); D King (S Dooley 53), P Delaney (T Geraghty 35); C Gath (C Egan 48), S Kinsella, O Kelly (J Bergin 65); D Egan, C Mahon, D Currams.

Not going to be easy. We are still very young. Still I think it is 50:50.