Quickest Route Galway To Belfast

Started by galwayman, August 13, 2009, 12:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Without a doubt the most sensible route here is Galway, Sligo, Enniskillen, Belfast. However, as many have said the road from Sligo to Enniskillen is a disaster if you get stuck behind something (which you will as it is a busy road). There is a route you can take if you don't mind going cross country for a bit (I do this as I hate sitting in slow traffic). When you leave Tubbercurry you'll hit the N4 at a roundabout. Turn left for sligo and you hit another roundabout straight away. Turn right on this roundabout for ballygawley. You can then go Ballygawley, Ballintogher, Dromahair and then into Manorhamilton. Its a much quieter road. I suppose it depends on what time of the day you are travelling, if its before 8am you'll have no problems between enniskillen and sligo.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: thebandit on August 13, 2009, 03:10:24 PM
To Castleblayney, this route is about 10 minutes shorter than Bingobus's ....

Galway - Roscommon - Longford - Granard - Cavan - Cootehill - Ballybay (mind now) - Blayney

On to Belfast

Blayney - Culloville - Crossmaglen - Newry (on to Bypass) and up the M1 to Belfast.

That is a brutal stretch of road.

thebandit

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 16, 2009, 07:32:08 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on August 16, 2009, 07:05:35 PM
Ignore all those suggesting a route via Dublin.
The roadworks and temporary speed limits at Newry, Sheepbridge,Loughbrickland, Banbridge x2 and Hillsborough will break your heart. 

I take it you have been near Enniskillen, Omagh to Dungannon recently.

I travelled to and from Galway from Omagh in the last week.  Enniskillen to Sligo is a terrible road.  Avoid coming into Enniskillen from Sligo direction as it can take a long time to queue in to the bridge, expect queues of over 2/3 miles at peak times.  Ballygawley to Dungannon can be a problem with on-going road constructions and eejits on tractors.

I would advise heading to Dublin and then down M1 as far as Ardee junction, head to Castleblaney,
Armagh, Portadown, M1 to Belfast if travelling during the day to avoid road construction problems.

Galway and Mayo must have some of the most useless TDs in the country given the terrible roads on the way up North with the exception of around Knock.

If you want to go to Castleblayney from the M1, Take the 2nd exit for Dundalk (Dundalk Central/Castleblayney). 5-10 mins quicker.