Mayo lads re: Tom Parsons

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 10, 2008, 01:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

What's that all about? I thought he had no interest in AFL.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/

Monday, November 10 2008 @ 08:08 PM EST
Contributed by: Brett

The first Gaelic football players from player agent Ricky Nixon's talent search program in Ireland are arriving in Australia. Nixon has sought to become the conduit by which Irish players are introduced to AFL clubs (see Nixon makes good on Irish scouting pledge).

The Age has reported that Conor Meredith (18) and Niall McKeever (17) arrive this week in Australia, McKeever to spend 1 week each with North Melbourne and Richmond, and similarly Meredith with Richmond and St Kilda. James Kielt arrives later to trial with the Roos and possibly the Saints.

Two more players are reportedly due in soon, and 20 year old Tom Parsons has stayed on since the International Rules Tests to look for an AFL contract.

"We have got to look to new markets to find talent, especially with the two new teams (Gold Coast and West Sydney) on the horizon in the next four years and us being hamstrung in the draft by the concessions they will receive," said Richmond football manager Craig Cameron.

Tubberman

First I heard of it. Last I heard he said "I love Mayo football. I love Charlestown football" and was looking forward to coming home after the Int'l rules.  ???
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good man TOM loyal as ever..... i
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Aghdavoyle

mattockranger

as far as i know he's a underage player for antrim
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

joemamas

you may want to verify , before you start the character assassination.

mattockranger

verified.....just got the word of our gerry!!

will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

imtommygunn

Niall McKeever is from Portglenone.

Not sure what age he is now but think he's a few years older than 17??

Played in the county final last year against Galls.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

There nothing in the online edition of The Mayo News about this - hopefully the Aussie reporters have got it wrong, because I haven't seen it anywhere in the Irish media.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

OirthearMhaigheo

I heard from a "source" that he was extremely keen on a move down under but I was relieved when I read that he was committed to Mayo. Unfortunately it looks like they were right.

stephenite

I don't think he'll make it at AFL to be honest, what position would he play?

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on November 11, 2008, 11:44:27 PM

I'd say he'd fit in at half forward. I hope this isn't true anyway. Fairly depressing if it is.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

moysider

Dont know enough about the game to speculate whether he d make it or not. But they might think he s worth a look.

I did a bit of digging last night when heard about this and I was informed he was back in this country.
Hard to blame any young fella looking for this option now. We re looking at a lot of players being lost to this recession. I can see a lot of small clubs amalgamating now as a lot of the small rural clubs were full of construction workers who are going to have to look further afield.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on November 12, 2008, 12:14:31 AM

Dont know enough about the game to speculate whether he d make it or not. But they might think he s worth a look.

I did a bit of digging last night when heard about this and I was informed he was back in this country.
Hard to blame any young fella looking for this option now. We re looking at a lot of players being lost to this recession. I can see a lot of small clubs amalgamating now as a lot of the small rural clubs were full of construction workers who are going to have to look further afield.

It'll cost any club feck all to see if he's worth a look, still don't see him making it to be honest. He'll probably get a contract if he wants one - play a year or two getting the shite hammered out of him in the reserve VFL (see Kevin Dyas) and head home with 2 years full time training under his belt - still 22 years of age