Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 18, 2016, 12:59:08 PM
Quote from: Dualta Duane on April 18, 2016, 12:25:18 PM
maybe taking this slightly off centre - anyone see any of the Feile games at the weekend? Sars v Stinsons (F), Rossa V Eire Og/ Brides (h)  I watched the sars game (football game) - some serious big units on that team.

A lot of work going in and Sarsfields at underage level - bigger numbers across age groups than I have seen them with.
Rossa were favourites for the hurling and were strong as expected - have seen them before. Good also to see some hurling from south belfast ;)

Plenty of hurling in South Belfast, on the right side of the Lagan thankfully..

Very good JC!
The increased interest in Bredagh & Carryduff players maybe says something about the Ards teams strength?

hurlingstick

Facilities are so important for attracting children. Sarsfields have done well in that regard.  It's difficult for the city teams though for obvious reasons.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on April 18, 2016, 02:24:03 PM
Facilities are so important for attracting children. Sarsfields have done well in that regard.  It's difficult for the city teams though for obvious reasons.

Getting more difficult for teams in NA to outside the big 4 of C'Dall, Dunloy, Shamrocks & B'Castle.

Did Cloughmills & Glenravel not have to get together a few years back to field at underage? Same as C'Dun & Carey & Armoy?

hurlingstick

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 18, 2016, 02:50:54 PM

Getting more difficult for teams in NA to outside the big 4 of C'Dall, Dunloy, Shamrocks & B'Castle.

Did Cloughmills & Glenravel not have to get together a few years back to field at underage? Same as C'Dun & Carey & Armoy?

PJ....think we've our wires crossed....I was chatting about facilities and how they're important in attracting new players.  Correct about Naomh Padraig  (Armoy, Carey & Cushendun)

Na Glinntí Glasa

cmills combined up a few years ago to form St. Brendans. They won a north antrim feile but the set up fell to the wayside.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 18, 2016, 02:06:57 PM
maybe taking this slightly off centre - anyone see any of the Feile games at the weekend? Sars v Stinsons (F), Rossa V Eire Og/ Brides (h)  I watched the sars game (football game) - some serious big units on that team.

A lot of work going in and Sarsfields at underage level - bigger numbers across age groups than I have seen them with.
Rossa were favourites for the hurling and were strong as expected - have seen them before. Good also to see some hurling from south belfast ;)

Very good JC!
The increased interest in Bredagh & Carryduff players maybe says something about the Ards teams strength?

Not sure your point, but IMO the development of Bredagh and Carryduff is a breath of fresh air in Down hurling, especially at underage where its no longer a three way dogfight and certainly with both taking regular underage titles we've had to rethink our structures and how we do things and I know Ballycran are following suit after a few years where they did very little at underage.
Back in the day we'd think we're great fella's and pick up a county underage championship if we could beat our neighbours. If they were poor then all we had to be was just that bit better. With the greater competition from South Belfast and the amalgamations that spring up once in a while in the rest of Down we're having to raise our game and that's a good thing.

Could you possibly be implying that both entered the Down hurling leagues due to the ease at which they could pick up underage titles?
Considering both have been affiliated to Down in footballing terms for donkeys years, I'd think that was unfair and inaccurate.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on April 18, 2016, 02:59:08 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 18, 2016, 02:50:54 PM

Sorry bud, read your post wrong..

PJ....think we've our wires crossed....I was chatting about facilities and how they're important in attracting new players.  Correct about Naomh Padraig  (Armoy, Carey & Cushendun)

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on April 18, 2016, 03:15:53 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 18, 2016, 02:06:57 PM

Very good JC!

Not sure your point, but IMO the development of Bredagh and Carryduff is a breath of fresh air in Down hurling, especially at underage where its no longer a three way dogfight and certainly with both taking regular underage titles we've had to rethink our structures and how we do things and I know Ballycran are following suit after a few years where they did very little at underage.
Back in the day we'd think we're great fella's and pick up a county underage championship if we could beat our neighbours. If they were poor then all we had to be was just that bit better. With the greater competition from South Belfast and the amalgamations that spring up once in a while in the rest of Down we're having to raise our game and that's a good thing.

Your bit above was exactly my point! I was just interested was that an internal Down/Ards opinion also.

Could you possibly be implying that both entered the Down hurling leagues due to the ease at which they could pick up underage titles?
Considering both have been affiliated to Down in footballing terms for donkeys years, I'd think that was unfair and inaccurate.

No - not my point at all! As far as I know a club can play in any league - but must enter its own county championship - therefore them entering Antrim C'ship is never an option.

Brocky

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 18, 2016, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Brocky on April 17, 2016, 01:10:30 PM
Cushendall v loughgiel match rearranged for monday is now off as county play b castle in a friendly on Tuesday. Do the powers that be not communicate?

Is this for real?
Our top two club teams don't play a competitive game - so our county team can play a challenge game against a different club team?
Please tell me this is wrong!
If true I'm ranking this alongside all the other scandals of recent weeks!

Thurles yesterday was a bit strange as both games were effectively over before the final whistle - even given that the physicality and speed is always a wake up call to the different levels that exist. And it wasn't even championship yet! Waterford play that system so well although a lack of goals (penalties) still worries me for the summer.
I don't think anyone in Thurles believed the Clare win would count for much come championship - they'll have to do it all again.

If we're at the business of cancelling top club games in preference for a county challenge game then such matches will always be out of our reach. Regardless of the season we've had - to cancel club games for Christy ring is inhibiting our hurling and merely prolonging the quagmire we are in. I'm struggling to get my head round this if it's true!
It's true, although in saying that cdall don't seem to care to play Loughgiel just yet so it seemed to suit and with the manager being who he is, well you know!!

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Brocky on April 18, 2016, 11:17:24 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 18, 2016, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Brocky on April 17, 2016, 01:10:30 PM
Cushendall v loughgiel match rearranged for monday is now off as county play b castle in a friendly on Tuesday. Do the powers that be not communicate?

Is this for real?
Our top two club teams don't play a competitive game - so our county team can play a challenge game against a different club team?
Please tell me this is wrong!
If true I'm ranking this alongside all the other scandals of recent weeks!

Thurles yesterday was a bit strange as both games were effectively over before the final whistle - even given that the physicality and speed is always a wake up call to the different levels that exist. And it wasn't even championship yet! Waterford play that system so well although a lack of goals (penalties) still worries me for the summer.
I don't think anyone in Thurles believed the Clare win would count for much come championship - they'll have to do it all again.

If we're at the business of cancelling top club games in preference for a county challenge game then such matches will always be out of our reach. Regardless of the season we've had - to cancel club games for Christy ring is inhibiting our hurling and merely prolonging the quagmire we are in. I'm struggling to get my head round this if it's true!
It's true, although in saying that cdall don't seem to care to play Loughgiel just yet so it seemed to suit and with the manager being who he is, well you know!!
Woody???

paddyjohn

Any feedback from the county game last night?

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 20, 2016, 08:50:54 AM
Any feedback from the county game last night?

Just saw online last night that Ballycastle were congratulating their lads on how well they played in the game.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Antrim won 1-21 to 1-19 was up on the FB page
https://www.facebook.com/AontroimGAA/
hurl like f**k boi!

MoChara

I'm guessing the Ballycastle County boys played for the town?

Bonamargy

Have Cushendall appointed a new manager yet?