Promising Players for Mayo 2018

Started by mrhardyannual, September 30, 2017, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

Four Claremorris players called into the extended Mayo pre-season training group...... Aidan Butler, James Stretton, James McCormack and Conor Diskin.  Stretton (22) was in two years ago but needed shoulder surgery and missed out. Outstanding for Claremorris all year he has blinding pace, great tackling ability and is a natural leader. Butler (24) has played both Minor and U21 while the other two lads are both U21. Diskin is U20 for next year so might be left with that team.

Farrandeelin

Peter Naughton and Marcus Park called from Knockmore. How many players altogether are in the winter training panel?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orchard park

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 29, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
Peter Naughton and Marcus Park called from Knockmore. How many players altogether are in the winter training panel?

67 i believe

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 29, 2017, 04:24:05 PM

Two players with a lot of potential, would be surprised if at least one of them don't make the panel over the next couple of years.

What positions do those Claremorris lads play hardy?

mrhardyannual

Aidan Butler and James Stretton are corner or wing backs. James McCormack is a terrific fielder who has played from centre back to centre forward. Conor Diskin plays from midfield to full forward.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: bucko on October 27, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
Seen there today about Cian Hanley being released from contract by Brisbane. Could be worth a run next year in the league if he decides to come home?

They have re-signed him as a rookie. You can only be on a rookie contract for a limited number of years then have to be let go or promoted to senior list.

I believe Lions applied for a special dispensation for Cian, presumably due to his injuries and the fact he is an international rookie.
Hasta la victoria siempre

joemamas

Any players who are forwards with decent size and speed, with the ability to look a back in the eye and say "I am going to going get by you", oh and can kick the ball over the bar from 35-40 yards out.

Not asking a lot, but we all know what we need.

mrhardyannual

Some very impressive players on Westport's U21 side. Great to see the third town in the county beginning to emerge as a football power.

Never beat the deeler

Anybody have any report from the FBD game against Leitrim.

Plenty new faces due to the team holiday - anyone impress / look like a likely prospect?
Hasta la victoria siempre

mrhardyannual

Some nice touches at time but the conditions destroyed any attempt at good football. Positive displays for Park, Butler,McCormack, Douglas and Treacy of the starters and from Gibbons, Naughton and Gallagher of the subs. Big Barry had a poor 40 mins and a few of the new boys will hope for another chance. All in all ....not much to  see.

rosnarun

Well any one we didn't know about this time last year?
Sharoze seems to reinvented himself as a stocky hard man.
Neil douglas looks better than ever . but can he play county?
ballintubber and breaffy seemed to be backboned by lads we know or veterans we.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 10, 2017, 08:57:05 PM

Caolan Crowe and Shane Nally have been in the panel now for two years. Nally made a few league appearances and kicked two enormous points v Ros when the game was done. Crowe looked to be the understudy for Full back but when it cut to the chase he wasn't involved. Coen and Drake were the "go to" subs on most occasions. Coen had a poor year and confidence looked shot but will probably come good. Drake has looked comfortable at the back but a drake out of water up front. If management don't fancy or trust the Garry boys they are as well to let them go. Otherwise they need to play constantly through the league to be properly assessed.
[/quote]

I wouldnt judge them by time on the panel i believe Brendan Harrison was 2 years round the panel before he broke through and look how good he is now.I have to disagree with you about Drake.Maybe its just me but i dont see what he offers at all.Coen needs to be played at 6 for the league and let him develop in that role.He has potential but also a habit of giving the ball away needlessly. He gave the ball away very cheaply against Cork which led to their equaliser in normal time and he gave the ball away recklessly against Dublin which ended up with their free to win it.This needs to be worked on.The ideal situation for us is we use the league to find Coen possibly a midfielder and a forward to operate at the level required so we can have a bench including Boyle Andy and Seamus o se for the big games.
[/quote]

Just edited Coen's part about giving away the ball.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Has any of ye seen Darren corn play this year , he scores an awful lot
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rosnarun

Darren coen seens to be what mayo foorball needs badly but distrusts the most a natural scoring forward , think of our best scoring forward and there was always a slight unease abot the, I exclude Cillian form this as his is a far more robust type , Brian kilkelly  , jarlath Jennings Maurice Sheridan Connor mortimer , ends Varley even Ciaran Mcdonald for those of us with long enough memories  before his beatification.
. The hardworking tireless type who  always give some return is much more favored
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

larryin89

Quote from: rosnarun on October 17, 2018, 11:20:59 AM
Darren coen seens to be what mayo foorball needs badly but distrusts the most a natural scoring forward , think of our best scoring forward and there was always a slight unease abot the, I exclude Cillian form this as his is a far more robust type , Brian kilkelly  , jarlath Jennings Maurice Sheridan Connor mortimer , ends Varley even Ciaran Mcdonald for those of us with long enough memories  before his beatification.
. The hardworking tireless type who  always give some return is much more favored

I've always said that too , it's like we don't take to them at all and seem to never be willing to build a forward line around one . Sure ciaran Mac was cut too early as well with the trial saga shite.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .