Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

The big difference between Hatton and Eubank/Hamed/Calzaghe was that Hatton fought for proper world titles, never hid. The other 3 all hid behind the WBO title, which meant many easy defences. The odd time they'd unify when the right fighter/money came along, but then they'd always ditch the WBC/WBA/IBF version because there'd be too many strict conditions on who they could defend against. This strategy helped Eubank and Hamed become very wealthy, but IMO prevented Calzaghe attaining the legendary status he had the ability of attaining.

Hatton's an excellent fighter. For in and around his weight category, he's probably the best European of his generation. Fabulous wins in particular against Tzsyu and Castillo - two excellent fighters. But P4P the best in the world? No. He's clearly not up to the level of Mayweather and Pacman.

ONeill

Yea, and Pele said Beckham was the best player in the world a few years back whilst in England.

McGuigan was a good fighter, brave as any fighter to come out of here. But he defeated a tiring champion and only defended it twice I think. He also strategically avoided Nelson. McGuigan a stylish boxer - no!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DaUmpire

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 04:12:43 PM
Yea, and Pele said Beckham was the best player in the world a few years back whilst in England.

McGuigan was a good fighter, brave as any fighter to come out of here. But he defeated a tiring champion and only defended it twice I think. He also strategically avoided Nelson. McGuigan a stylish boxer - no!
Hows this relevant?thought this was a boxing thread.
Like i said earlier,think your getting stylish and class mixed up

ONeill

Quote from: Hound on May 04, 2009, 04:05:33 PM

Hatton's an excellent fighter. For in and around his weight category, he's probably the best European of his generation. Fabulous wins in particular against Tzsyu and Castillo - two excellent fighters. But P4P the best in the world? No. He's clearly not up to the level of Mayweather and Pacman.

Tzsyu was ageing, had hardly fought in a few years and had serious surgery a few times before it. Hatton wouldn't have counted against him in his prime. I think Tzsyu also struggled to make the weight.

ONeill

Quote from: DaUmpire on May 04, 2009, 04:19:20 PM

Refering to a poster basing their opinion on someone by what another boxer said.

A boxer can be labelled as world class because he's the best in the world at a time of mediocrity but to the discerning eye doesn't deserve that title when being compared to the top of the tree. Being a stylish boxer is a different matter completely and cannot be sugar-coated.

DaUmpire

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 04:21:17 PM
Quote from: DaUmpire on May 04, 2009, 04:19:20 PM

Refering to a poster basing their opinion on someone by what another boxer said.

A boxer can be labelled as world class because he's the best in the world at a time of mediocrity but to the discerning eye doesn't deserve that title when being compared to the top of the tree. Being a stylish boxer is a different matter completely and cannot be sugar-coated.

Apologies mustn have seen that comment,as i stated earlier i believe hatton is a world class boxer after i compare him to the best of the past and present.
Think you believe that a stylish boxer is a world class one whereas another boxer who mighnt be as pretty to watch isnt even though he may have just as good a record.

Minder

Hatton v Pacman on Sky Sports 1 now for anyone hasnt seen it, be quick though..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

aontroim

Met Hatton on Monday night in Vegas - him and his entourage were out on the town and to be fair to him he was happy enough to have photos taken with those who actually recognised him - was in an Irish bar of all places too!

Archie Mitchell

Anyone for the Odyssey on Friday night for Rogans's fight?

Archie Mitchell

In 2 minds to go or not. Could be an expensive enough night. No sell out yet. Done a quick search on ticketmaster there and got 4 tickets at £44 and floor tickets at £155!

magpie seanie

What time will the Rogan fight be tonight? Who is he fighting and does the visitor have much hope?

Archie Mitchell

Programme on Sky Sports starts at 10pm and due to finish at 12. There is 3 or 4 undercard fights on before Rogan so can't see Sky showing them live. Rogan might be on around 10.30pm or 11pm im guessing.

Minder

Rogan is 1/6 to win but reckons he is the underdog  ???  ???

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on May 15, 2009, 09:31:40 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 15, 2009, 09:27:06 PM
Rogan is 1/6 to win but reckons he is the underdog  ???  ???
He's an overweight taxi driver from the Springfield. He knows that.

Now living in salubrious Crunlin i believe.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on May 15, 2009, 09:36:17 PM
Less people offer ya a random digging match up there.

Met him in the Glenavy off licence shortly after the Harrison fight. Think he's actually living in Glenavy. McGeown's packed out tonight.