Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

DaUmpire, not sure what fight you were watching between DLH and Mayweather but GalwayBayBoy is right, Mayweather is about as elusive as they come. In some respects he is like James Toney in the way that he rolls the shoulders and takes a lot of shots on the arms, shoulders and gloves. Toney however tended to do that as he stood right in front of someone, whereas Mayweather tends to be constantly on his toes with great lateral movement - he very very rarely gets hit cleanly. When Pacman-Mayweather does happen, it will be Manny's constant power punches against Mayweather tending to pick his punches. If it goes to the judges then Pacman's all action constant motion style could swing it (I still don't see how one of the judges could score the DLH fight in favour of Oscar despite him being the busier fighter...) - I think Floyd will know exactly what he has to do it. Unless he is clearly picking Pacquiao off, he may have to KO him rather than let it go to the judges. As I said before, I think JMM can make things difficult for Floyd on his comeback but ultimately lacks the power/strength to stop Mayweather, whereas Manny will bring Floyd into the trenches like he has never experienced before

DaUmpire

CiKe, i was watchn the fight were De La Hoya was the aggressor throughout and he managed to get through Mayweather's defenses in the early rounds, Mayweather moved away and counterpunched without great effect. Mayweather has a great defence but i think if pacquiao and mayweather fight, pacquiao will prove he isnt as elusive as previously thought. Would agree that unless mayweather is landing clean, tidy and effective punches then he will have to KO pacquiao. If it goes to the judges, pacmans aggression and hard work will see him score well.

ONeill

Goes to show - you can put fodder in front of a man for so long but it'll harm them in the long run. Happened to Nasem, Khan, Hatton...though maybe without fighting dummies they wouldn't get where they did.

Who was the last class British/Irish fighter? Lewis doesn't count.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2009, 11:18:09 PM
Goes to show - you can put fodder in front of a man for so long but it'll harm them in the long run. Happened to Nasem, Khan, Hatton...though maybe without fighting dummies they wouldn't get where they did.

Not sure its really fair to say Hatton's been fighting dummies. Former undisputed light-Welterweight champion and a Welterweight world champions as well. Ok he was found a bit short at the very very highest level but still a class fighter surely.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

I cannot really equate Hatton and class.

Hard as nails determination to die for but always thought he was as wooden as any fighter at that level. But also thought the same about McGuigan.

Declan

QuoteBut also thought the same about McGuigan

Well that shows that really you shouldn't comment on something you don't know anything about!

ONeill

McGuigan was all pressure. He'd drive forward mixing head and body blows but was always predictable although his ferocity and guts made it difficult to anything about him. Wooden not the word but not what you'd call a stylish boxer. You disagree? You must be another annoyed rugby head.

Great work.

The Iceman

there is no denying Hatton's ability at this level.  The fact of the matter is that Manny is a different class of fighter.  His training is top drawer stuff, his determination and unbreakable spirit is commendable and to top it all he is a humble and very likable little guy.
FMW does have that same lightning speed but he does not have the same power.  He may be able to frustrate Manny but in the end I do see him getting caught and stopped for the first time.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Declan

QuoteMcGuigan was all pressure. He'd drive forward mixing head and body blows but was always predictable although his ferocity and guts made it difficult to anything about him. Wooden not the word but not what you'd call a stylish boxer. You disagree? You must be another annoyed rugby head.

Completely disagree. To describe McGuigan as not stylish is a joke and shows you haven't a clue about the game. I was in the stadium when the great Lazlo Papp came in to the ring and raised his hand as a 17 year old and described him as a great boxer and future champion and he was proved correct in his assessment.  So think I'd take his opinion more seriously than yours.

Not an annoyed rugby head either just someone who knows what he's talking about and who knows a bullshitter when he sees one.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 03, 2009, 11:27:32 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2009, 11:18:09 PM

Not sure its really fair to say Hatton's been fighting dummies. Former undisputed light-Welterweight champion and a Welterweight world champions as well. Ok he was found a bit short at the very very highest level but still a class fighter surely.

Hatton was a very good fighter. His two losses have been against probably two fighters who were considered the pound for pound best in the world when he fought them so no shame in losing to genuine class like that. He's just short of their level but he's had a great career and has always looked to fight to best.

DaUmpire

Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2009, 11:32:45 PM

Hard as nails determination to die for but always thought he was as wooden as any fighter at that level. But also thought the same about McGuigan.
Define what you mean by class.
I think your getting stylish and class mixed up.Hatton mightn be the most stylish boxer, you could see that particularly agaisnt pacquiao and mayweather but to say he isnt a class boxer is a joke.Hes a 2 weight world champion,not every average boxer can do that.Hattons a world class boxer but just not on the same level as mayweather and pacquiao.

ONeill

Quote from: Declan on May 04, 2009, 01:51:01 PM
QuoteMcGuigan was all pressure. He'd drive forward mixing head and body blows but was always predictable although his ferocity and guts made it difficult to anything about him. Wooden not the word but not what you'd call a stylish boxer. You disagree? You must be another annoyed rugby head.

Completely disagree. To describe McGuigan as not stylish is a joke and shows you haven't a clue about the game.

Jaysus lad it's not a game. What gave you that idea for the love of God? You shouldn't resort to personal abuse too young man. It suggests you are a little insecure but that can be a cute thing too.

I see you still haven't really attempted to desribe why you think McGuigan was a stylish boxer. But keep it up anyways.

ONeill

Quote from: DaUmpire on May 04, 2009, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 03, 2009, 11:32:45 PM

Define what you mean by class.
I think your getting stylish and class mixed up.Hatton mightn be the most stylish boxer, you could see that particularly agaisnt pacquiao and mayweather but to say he isnt a class boxer is a joke.Hes a 2 weight world champion,not every average boxer can do that.Hattons a world class boxer but just not on the same level as mayweather and pacquiao.

That's where i'd have a different opinion. You  can say he's World Class in terms of the era he fought/fights in (Eubank was also a double champ/hefty no. of defences but world class?). He beat most of what was left in his divisions. However, true world class is what you saw in Mayweather and Pac. They can stand up in the annals of World Class fighters. A world class fighter is not pummelled in 2 rounds, after being mullered by Floyd. Hatton has limitations.

Declan

QuoteJaysus lad it's not a game. What gave you that idea for the love of God? You shouldn't resort to personal abuse too young man. It suggests you are a little insecure but that can be a cute thing too.

I see you still haven't really attempted to desribe why you think McGuigan was a stylish boxer. But keep it up anyways.

Game in the parlance of describing boxing as a sport. Personal abuse  - take a look back at your post describing me as an annoyed rugby head before admonishing me though being called a young man is something I take as a compliment!! I haven't been called in a good few years.

In terms of the debate re McGuigan I said that I valued a triple gold medal Olympic winner's opinion of his "style" and boxing ability over yours. The fact that I saw him demolish a European champion when he was just 17,followed his career closely over the years and I might even know something about the sweet science means I'm very secure in myself and my opinions.     

DaUmpire

A world class fighter is not pummelled in 2 rounds, after being mullered by Floyd. Hatton has limitations.
Every boxer has their limitations,even the best,you could write a list of who you think are world class boxers and every single one of them would have limitations,some more than others.

Id agree 100% that in order to consider a boxer to be one of the best and a world class talent then you have to compare them to great boxers of the best. IMO when i compare hatton to the best i believe hes a world class fighter.