Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaUmpire

Surprised fight not live. Hpefully it will be half as entertaining as his last fight. ne1 been watchin Hatton- Pacquiao 24/7?wats ur toughts on them?

Tony Baloney

No reports on the Duddy fight? All I know is he was bate on a split decision!

bigfrank

Derry middleweight John Duddy suffered a shock first defeat as a professional when he lost on a split decision to Billy Lyell in New York.

Lyell, beaten seven times in a 26-fight pro-career, had been regarded as a safe opponent for the Irish boxer, but Duddy failed to produce the goods.

The result ends any hopes Duddy had of getting into the ring with WBC and WBO champion Kelly Pavlik.

Lyell from Ohio won 97-93 and 98-92 on two of the judges' cards.

The third judge gave it to Duddy 96-94.

Tyrones own

Quote from: DaUmpire on April 23, 2009, 10:04:11 PM
Surprised fight not live. Hpefully it will be half as entertaining as his last fight. ne1 been watchin Hatton- Pacquiao 24/7?wats ur toughts on them?

Looking forward to it...I don't fancy Hattons chances in this one though :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ludermor

Quote from: bigfrank on April 25, 2009, 06:28:41 PM
Derry middleweight John Duddy suffered a shock first defeat as a professional when he lost on a split decision to Billy Lyell in New York.

Lyell, beaten seven times in a 26-fight pro-career, had been regarded as a safe opponent for the Irish boxer, but Duddy failed to produce the goods.

The result ends any hopes Duddy had of getting into the ring with WBC and WBO champion Kelly Pavlik.

Lyell from Ohio won 97-93 and 98-92 on two of the judges' cards.

The third judge gave it to Duddy 96-94.

That is some difference in the scoring! the judges must have pretty much got every round scored differently!

Tony Baloney

Highlights of Froch v Taylor on ITV at 11.15 tonight.

AFS

Highlights of Duddy getting bate is on in 10 mins on BBC1.

screenexile

Watched Duddy and the Froch fight and have to say Duddy is a long way from the finished article or even close to getting a World Title Fight. Yeah I know he changed Trainer and changed his style a bit but this guy was a journeyman and Duddy was expected to beat him comfortably yet he was well beaten in the end up.

Stumbled across Froch Taylor last night and it was riveting stuff. Both lads went at it hell for leather and when Froch needed to pull it out of the bag he managed to do just that when it mattered. It was great stuff!

whiskeysteve

Would cringe if Calzaghe came out of retirement. Nothing to gain by fighting Froch. Taylor has a record of starting brightly and getting worn down by tough but limited fighters. Froch was lucky enough and will be found out eventually, another fighter would have finished him off after the 3rd round knockdown. I would like to see him fight Kessler or Hopkins, think he would be showed up.

Read about this fella Juan Manuel Lopez knocking out Gerry Penalosa at the weekend (though havent seen it yet). Broke compubox records by throwing over 1000 punches and landing 444 in nine rounds, some hype about him now hes 25-0 with 23 knockouts and is being widely tipped to clean up the jr. featherweight division. This division already has 3 of The Rings top 10 pound for pounders as well as our own Bernard Dunne  :)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

CiKe

Whiskeysteve. "Juanma" is being talked about quite a bit. Is looking for fight with Marquez or Vazquez which could be brilliant. He knocked out Daniel Ponce de Leon in one last year (massive puncher himself who previously knocked out Rey Bautista in one or two rounds). Should be some cracking fights in that division over enxt 18 months

Rav67

Quote from: CiKe on April 27, 2009, 08:25:02 PM
Whiskeysteve. "Juanma" is being talked about quite a bit. Is looking for fight with Marquez or Vazquez which could be brilliant. He knocked out Daniel Ponce de Leon in one last year (massive puncher himself who previously knocked out Rey Bautista in one or two rounds). Should be some cracking fights in that division over enxt 18 months

Yes its easily the best division at present, I hope Dunne can manage to get a fight against one of the big boys, he'd need to do it soon really as he only probably has a couple of years left at the top when you consider the peak years usually for fighters around that weight.

Froch looked very cumbersome all fight and have to agree with judge's scorecards that he was a few rounds down, he knew that himself and really went for it last round.  That was a massive win, didn't expect him to beat Taylor in America.  I think Kessler would be his next realistic target to fight as can't see Calzaghe coming out of retirement.  Pavlik will more than likely fight at middleweight for a while now so I don't think he's a viable option.

The Iceman

De la Hoya was a much bigger fighter too but it didn't do him any good.
Hatton definitely worth a punt at those odds though - he definitely has the tools to win this but does he want it as much as Manny?!?!?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DownFanatic

I have a fleeting interest in boxing and to be honest I dont really know a hell of a lot about its structures.

Tell me this, how many organisations are there (i.e - WBO, WBC etc) and are some organisations more prestigous than others?

Also, can a boxer hold titles in different organisations?

Rav67

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 28, 2009, 01:51:34 PM
I have a fleeting interest in boxing and to be honest I dont really know a hell of a lot about its structures.

Tell me this, how many organisations are there (i.e - WBO, WBC etc) and are some organisations more prestigous than others?

Also, can a boxer hold titles in different organisations?

WBC, WBO, WBA, IBF would be the four respected sanctioning bodies.  IBO is a bit of a mickey-mouse title and you won;t find their title holder on a list of champions usually.  You can hold different belts at once.

Ring magazine in the past few years have had their own 'linear' champion who would generally be the best in the division.  They work it through who the champions would be were there still one belt in each division, by working through the line of champions and who beat them each time.  If the line has broken then to win the Ring title one of its top 3 ranked boxers in the division has to beat the other to become champion.  Ring would be the real definitive champion in each division which has a Ring champion.

It is a bit shit that there are so many world titles.  Great as it was to see Dunne win his belt and everyone saying it was great to have an Irish world champ, the reality is he's not even in the top 5 or 6 in his division.

The Claw

Does anyone know if 24/7 can be watched online? Its an amazing show, some of the training scenes you could watch over and over again.