FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah it doesn't look good and is typical of up here with zero attempt to be inclusive. Agree about ireland's call. I don't like it but it is an attempt to be inclusive which should be applauded.

rodney trotter

It's idiotic. Northern Ireland is an inconvenience to the UK. The North does its best to try to be British and then cry when Catholic northern players declare for the republic

michaelg

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 08:09:26 AM
Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2018, 07:20:58 AM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 15, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2018, 11:00:02 PM
Did the OWC Parachute Regiment fleg get hung out at the Aviva? 

I scanned the away section a few times and didnt see it. Someone did have a St Patrick flag up with a NI crest. Bit more refreshing!
Seems like folk on here were willing the NI fans to let themselves down.  Bar a few boos for JMcC, it all seemed fairly "friendly".  Actually thought that the "He's one of our own" chant was quite amusing, but there you go.  I imagine a NI flag / banner with Rangers emblazened on it would have sparked quite a reaction.  Double standards anyone?

The thing about the RoI fans is that NI is just another team.
But for too many people in NI their identity is defined as not Irish.
Which means that RoI can never be just another team.
That would be why the vast majority of the crowd booed GSTQ.  Also, have a squiz at the YBIG forum and tell me that NI is just another team to ROI fans. 

BennyCake

I think the reluctance of the ifa, unionist leaders etc to do anything inclusive leads to this perception that the north is a bastion of Britishness and unionism. That's ideally what they want. And last nights match to an outsider, would probably draw the same conclusion. North - Protestant/British. South - catholic/Irish. And every northerner hates southerners and vice versa.

Nothing Irish, catholic, cultural etc do they want here. Compromising with ILA, GAA, flags, anthems etc dilutes their version of Norn Iron. In a way, it's perfectly understandable they think that way. I mean, Norn Iron was created as a ring fenced, hotbed of Protestantism/unionism that unionists were given in the 20's and allowed to freely discriminate, trample on and intimidate catholics at will.

It was a Protestant state for a Protestant people, and any compromise with catholics on certain issues would lead to the states foundation collapsing around them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
I think the reluctance of the ifa, unionist leaders etc to do anything inclusive leads to this perception that the north is a bastion of Britishness and unionism. That's ideally what they want. And last nights match to an outsider, would probably draw the same conclusion. North - Protestant/British. South - catholic/Irish. And every northerner hates southerners and vice versa.

Nothing Irish, catholic, cultural etc do they want here. Compromising with ILA, GAA, flags, anthems etc dilutes their version of Norn Iron. In a way, it's perfectly understandable they think that way. I mean, Norn Iron was created as a ring fenced, hotbed of Protestantism/unionism that unionists were given in the 20's and allowed to freely discriminate, trample on and intimidate catholics at will.

It was a Protestant state for a Protestant people, and any compromise with catholics on certain issues would lead to the states foundation collapsing around them.

Any neutral looking in on this game last night obviously only had one channel working..

some balloon on here said no self respecting catholic should play for N.I.. for all those catholics that played for N.I shame on you? Get a grip.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2018, 09:00:57 PM

Any neutral looking in on this game last night obviously only had one channel working..

some balloon on here said no self respecting catholic should play for N.I.. for all those catholics that played for N.I shame on you? Get a grip.
No use repeating what you remember about what one balloon once wrote, as if  that represented some body of opinion on here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on November 16, 2018, 09:17:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2018, 09:00:57 PM

No use repeating what you remember about what one balloon once wrote, as if  that represented some body of opinion on here.

I'll repeat what I want, and at no point in my post did I say it represents everyone on here. I said some balloon . Now keep your knickers on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Irelands Call isn't good enough for northern protestants either. They don't sing it at the rugby.

Itchy

Ireland relegated as Denmark beat Wales. A fully deserved relegation too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 16, 2018, 09:40:55 PM
Irelands Call isn't good enough for northern protestants either. They don't sing it at the rugby.

I know plenty of northern prods that sing it. More bullshit but carry on

michaelg

I'll be there tomorrow and I assure you I will be singing it.  Also, all Ulster players, bar maybe big Hendo, always belt it out.  So not sure where you are getting this notion from.

JoG2

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2018, 09:43:10 PM
I'll be there tomorrow and I assure you I will be singing it.  Also, all Ulster players, bar maybe big Hendo, always belt it out.  So not sure where you are getting this notion from.

Was thinking the same, would be at a game every year and to say northern protestants don't sing IC is wrong. We travel in a crew of 12, half would be 'themmuns' and we all belt it out. Though I wouldn't keen on it personally

Capt Pat

Quote from: JoG2 on November 16, 2018, 09:46:33 PM

Was thinking the same, would be at a game every year and to say northern protestants don't sing IC is wrong.

I should have said the northern protestants on the team don't seem to be getting behind it when it is played.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2018, 09:41:38 PM
Ireland relegated as Denmark beat Wales. A fully deserved relegation too.

I hope that means O Neil plays Obafemi on monday as we have nothing to gain or lose.

michaelg

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 16, 2018, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 16, 2018, 09:46:33 PM

Was thinking the same, would be at a game every year and to say northern protestants don't sing IC is wrong.

I should have said the northern protestants on the team don't seem to be getting behind it when it is played.
Rugby is an intense sport.  Players will prepare / psyche themselves up in the best way that suits them.