2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Apologies if there is another thread started but I can't find it so here goes.

Who is nailed on at the minute?
Who blew their chances in the quarter finals?
Who needs to do what in the semis to get one?

I'll get my own thoughts up later.

The Aristocrat Years

Banana Man

Brogan has to be a cert doesn't he, Johnny Doyle probably in with a real shout, marty clarke edging ahead now too

Dinny Breen

Don't get the Marty Clarke hype he was poor in the first 20/25 mins against Kerry and then was very good admittedly,  saw him against Tyrone and he was poor too...qualifier performances won't count in the All-Star selector minds...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

James Kavanagh must be a serious contender. Marty Clarke will get one now unless he implodes against Kildare. MOTM against the All Ireland Champions. I'd imagine it'll be a fresh looking All Star lineup this year. There's no obligation to give Kerry any, although Gooch may well get one.

Johnny Doyle may get one, but I think he's probably been quiet, and poor by his standards from frees, although his workrate is immense and he deserves one for other years, even though that's not how it's *supposed* to work.

George Foreman

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Norf Tyrone

The guy Kavanagh from Kildare has been class whenever I ave seen him. Brogan is a show in, as is Doyle IMHO. I think Clarke will get one as well.

For Tyronies McConnell should be in with a holler, but Tyrone's loss has probably cost Penrose. Saying that Mickey McVeigh's performance v Kerry if repeated might earn him a star.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ross4life

We will get a few nominations (Shine,Claffey) but no All Star's

Down Goalkeeper McVeigh deserves All Star IMO
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

WeePeteIsALegend

Kavanagh's a cert imo

Can't be having Marty Clarke at all. Maybe a nomination.

Hughes has been tremendous for us and deserves a nomination, as does McVeigh.
''Im very glad you won dat fight Matt, but Im a not imprezzed by your performance''

Onion Bag

If Bernard Brogan can keep up his performances for another couple of matches

(This is assuming they beat cork)

he is a dead cert for an all star + Player of the year
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

haze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 03, 2010, 04:49:11 PM
Don't get the Marty Clarke hype he was poor in the first 20/25 mins against Kerry and then was very good admittedly,  saw him against Tyrone and he was poor too...qualifier performances won't count in the All-Star selector minds...

Agree with the above- though i think based on the hype so far if he has a good one against Kildare regardless or result he will get one.

I think Paddy Keenan is a certainty, i'd be shocked if Louth's exploits go unrewarded by All Star selectors. All Johnny Doyle and Brogan have to do is to avoid calamitous performances in next game.

Graham Reilly should be nailed on with something like 1-15 from play this year but considering the chimps on the Sunday game had Joe Sheridan ahead of him three weeks ago in their team of the championship i think he will miss out

Rossfan

Cluxton will get the goalkeeping position anyway.
Sure isnt he the greatest goalie of all time in the world according to Canning and McStay. When he let a ball go wide Saturday Mc Stay went into ecstasy about this man knows what he's doing  ::). FFS .
We'll get Geoff and Donie nominated and maybe Finneran but that's as far as she goes.
Whoever wins Sam will get about 8 ( 12 if it's Dublin), Runners up 3 ( 6 if Dublin) then the others divided between the losing Semi finalists ( 3 to Dublin if they lose to Cork)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

With regard to the initial question, I think the only real nailed on ones are probably James Kavanagh and maybe Johnny Doyle. I think a good semi final is needed for the likes of O'Gara from Dublin, Brogan, Coulter and Clarke (although I think Clarke will get one).

The Kerry lads blew it in the quarter final, because no one is going to give Kerry a sympathy All Star. Gooch might get one, but with Brogan, Shine, Doyle, Coulter, etc etc in the reckoning, I'd say he's goosed.

haze

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:09:52 PM
With regard to the initial question, I think the only real nailed on ones are probably James Kavanagh and maybe Johnny Doyle. I think a good semi final is needed for the likes of O'Gara from Dublin, Brogan, Coulter and Clarke (although I think Clarke will get one).

Jaysus, O Gara would want to score a hat trick in both the semi final and final for me to think he deserves one!

Dinny Breen

Peter Kelly in the corner from Kildare is another one, has kept Freeman, E Bradley and S Bray to something like 2 points from play, contender for young layer of the year too..
#newbridgeornowhere