The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

I haven't seen a daddies/parents thread on here- if I have missed it let me know and I will delete.

My little girl is 17 months old now- she was a great sleeper until the last two weeks, went to her own cot and stayed there all night- she is getting her back teeth and its very sore on her at night. Using salts, gel and paracetamol etc. She now screeches when you leave her down in the cot- wants out won't lie down- no comforting her- screeches when you go to leave the room- it's like she is scared- happened all of a sudden. Whenever we do get her to sleep she usually wakes about 2 O'Clock to the same scenario.
She's been in our bed this last two weeks now-something I hate but at that time of the morning anything for peace. Mrs chalks it all down to teeth but I have my doubts that after this phase of teething that she will revert back to normal.

Anyone experience anything similar? We have people coming around tonight and they will be there through her bedtime. I am planning to have to go out for something and take her in the car where she will fall asleep.

Zip Code

Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
I haven't seen a daddies/parents thread on here- if I have missed it let me know and I will delete.

My little girl is 17 months old now- she was a great sleeper until the last two weeks, went to her own cot and stayed there all night- she is getting her back teeth and its very sore on her at night. Using salts, gel and paracetamol etc. She now screeches when you leave her down in the cot- wants out won't lie down- no comforting her- screeches when you go to leave the room- it's like she is scared- happened all of a sudden. Whenever we do get her to sleep she usually wakes about 2 O'Clock to the same scenario.
She's been in our bed this last two weeks now-something I hate but at that time of the morning anything for peace. Mrs chalks it all down to teeth but I have my doubts that after this phase of teething that she will revert back to normal.

Anyone experience anything similar? We have people coming around tonight and they will be there through her bedtime. I am planning to have to go out for something and take her in the car where she will fall asleep.

You will regret taking her into bed with you, break that cycle straight away.  Are these people you are having round adults, tell them excuse me it's my daughters bedtime, your daughter comes first - these people can wait.

Zip Code

I did the car thing with our second child, lasted for about a month where I had to drive for about 10 mile a night to get her down, thankfully it was only with our second child and it was only for a short time.

Under Lights

Quote from: Zip Code on July 09, 2014, 09:08:32 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

You will regret taking her into bed with you, break that cycle straight away.  Are these people you are having round adults, tell them excuse me it's my daughters bedtime, your daughter comes first - these people can wait.

Yes adults, If I don't take her out I will be leaving the wife to attend to them.

I already regret the taking her into the bed- disaster- she now expects and wants it. I'm blaming the wife. Although maybe a bit harsh I was in favour of the crying it out method. She is in great form during the day and in the evenings.

StephenC

Quote from: laoislad on July 09, 2014, 09:27:04 AM
A drop of Jameson in the bottle before bedtime usually works.

Aye, but how about the child?

Under lights - You know what to do yourself chief. Everyone has done the car thing on occasion but you need to be careful of developing bad routines like having the wane in bed with you. It's an incredibly tough situation though. It's the middle of the night ... your body is telling you to go back to sleep immediately ... you are absolutely knackered .... your child is crying their eyes out .... the easiest thing is to bring her into bed.

I think you have to let her cry it out a bit - it'll be a horrible situation but best for her. And don't forget, she's been a good sleeper for you, and she will again - this is just a bump in the road.

deiseach

The Jimmy McNulty school of parenting. None of that Protestant Bushmills muck!

Milltown Row2

Oh the joys of sleepless nights, was fortunate enough the girls were great sleepers and didn't give too much annoyance, the one rule though was never let them get into a routine of sleeping in your own bed, the odd night (and I mean they've been in their own bed but came in during the night) is fine.

Think my wife grew to hate me for a period when one of the kids would have cried before bed briefly, I would have let her cry on, of course this was after we knew she'd been fed poohed and winded. I miss those days, now they cry all the time, need money for this need money for that, asked them to clean their room is like the worst thing on earth!!

Oh the joys......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hereiam

Good idea for a thread.
Have 3 boys myself 5, 3 & 16 months.
Our 3 year old is a terrible eater, he has been from birth and was a nightmare with the bottle. I have to say a child that will not sit and eat is one of the most stressful things in life.

Under Lights

On a more fun and positive note we have been playing with home made moon sand recently. Brilliant. She loves it.

Recipe below.

http://theimaginationtree.com/2011/11/recipe-for-mouldable-sand.html

Also I bought a new Samsung fridge off Ao.com. B'jayus there was a quare box that it came in- tops for playing tunnels and houses.

Under Lights

Quote from: Hereiam on July 09, 2014, 10:16:05 AM
Good idea for a thread.
Our 3 year old is a terrible eater, he has been from birth and was a nightmare with the bottle. I have to say a child that will not sit and eat is one of the most stressful things in life.

Is he refusing it point blank or is it a case of you put it in his mouth and he spits it out?
Do you let him feed himself?

johnneycool

Quote from: StephenC on July 09, 2014, 09:33:07 AM

Aye, but how about the child?

Under lights - You know what to do yourself chief. Everyone has done the car thing on occasion but you need to be careful of developing bad routines like having the wane in bed with you. It's an incredibly tough situation though. It's the middle of the night ... your body is telling you to go back to sleep immediately ... you are absolutely knackered .... your child is crying their eyes out .... the easiest thing is to bring her into bed.

I think you have to let her cry it out a bit - it'll be a horrible situation but best for her. And don't forget, she's been a good sleeper for you, and she will again - this is just a bump in the road.

Yip,
let her cry it out, its normal enough and TBH better in the long run as they'll sleep better in their own cot.

Under Lights

I have no issue with the cry it out situation at bedtime but during the night at 2 or 3AM its a lot harder- cruel to leave her there.

We had a deal that if she slept all night in her cot she would get a new Mr Tumbles magazine and stickers. Deal off.

Note- I still bought the magazine this morning.

BenDover

We had this for a while but it was more a case of a lost dummy rather than teething pains. Reinsert the dummy, gentle pat on the back to let them know you're there and away back to bed

Hereiam

Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on July 09, 2014, 10:16:05 AM
Good idea for a thread.

Is he refusing it point blank or is it a case of you put it in his mouth and he spits it out?
Do you let him feed himself?
We let him feed himself. On a good day he will take some cereal for breakfast and a banana during the day. He just wont eat dinner, he would eat sweats and biscuits all day but I'm not giving into that.

Hardy

The best way to get kids out of the bed and never again wanting to come back is to have a good feed of stout before bedtime. Stuff the kid's head under the covers and let rip for a few minutes. No coming up for air.