Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Might as well start this one also - still awaiting on JOM to make a decision

mayo51

the reason that j.o.m did not take the job last year was that the c.b offered him the job but would not discuss club fixtures or team finance which eventually became huge problems for m. Moran.my guess is that this time it will be on j.o.ms terms and that the c.b will have to give him the job as they will not want anymore bad publicity after the m.m affair

stephenite

While I hope that JOM takes it, i hope he do so for the right reason,ie, not to enhance his profile in order to gain to entry to Dail Eireann. The County Board are consistent in one thing, they will not bow to any manager regarding issues like finance and club fixtures, they have proven that in the past.
I think JOM will take it, if he was to turn it down now he woud run the risk of alienating a large swthe of potential voters, and if he takes it we then have a sitting TD who is in charge of the County senior team, I also wonder is this a healthy scenario?
I would not discount on JOM cutting a deal to take it for a year, get his seat and hand over the reins to someone like the Connelly / Holmes combo in the future

muppet

Stíopháinigh, the right reason would be to win for personal and local glory.

I don't care if he does it for every wrong reason imaginable, just give it to him and let him win.

This site will take a bit if getting used to.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Fair enough Muppet, tried replying to that PM but for some reason couldn't get it to send from the new office here. Am still away, and will be for a while I'd imagine. Might have a wedding in either March or July ( everyone pary for July please, might get to a championship game ) so will drop you a line close to the going home date

muppet

QuoteMight have a wedding in either March or July
Is there something we should know?
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Not me, i'd know the f**king date if it was this close. A former Mayo footballer/ panellist and All Ireland winning club captain, an old school mate, so could be either of the two recent captains from Mayo ;)

MacDanger

I reckon JO'M will probably take the job, he's just playing the waiting game with the county board so that he gets the job on his terms rather than theirs and rightly so IMO.

As regards taking the job for the wrong reasons, I don't think O'Mahoney is the kind of fella to do that for the sake of a Dail seat; it would tarnish his reputation too much; and indeed the risk of people thinking like that might well be a reason why he might not take the job.

In terms of time available to manage the team, it should be no problem considering the Dail only sits 3 days a week and must surely get more holidays than any other job in Ireland.

If he decides against taking the position, we are left in the unfortunate position of it being mid/late November and managerless which isn't exactly ideal. The new man would also be painfully aware that he wasn't the first choice. On the other hand, the expectation level would be v low with a different manager whereas people will expect Johnno to deliver immediately.

Barney

Phew, found the way over here. Like the new set-up.

I think the JOM deal will be sorted out fairly quickly, but it needs to be.

Somebody mentioned above a 1 year deal. Its not what we want. We need somebody committed to changing around the team, and replacing the likes of Heaney, Nallen, Brady and McDonald over the coming 2/3 years. If he is not prepared to do that I would not give him the job.

Anyway I don't think he'll have to worry about Dail business. And of course the best way for FF to sell things - the county has the football manager it wants, why jeopordise that by voting for him!

ildanach

If JOM takes the job.You would imagine that this time around the county board will not be appointing one of his selectors. So anyone have any idea of who his selectors will be or who they would like to see. I would like Kieran Gallagher & Tommy Lyons (ballina)
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

intoDwest

the sooner its done the better. before we know it the whole season will  be on again.

cicfada

Mayo will finally win one if he becomes manager!Must be agony waiting for him  though!!

venter

Are we allowed to start putting our ideal 15 on the board yet or do we have to wait for Johnno?

If he takes the job, he will have a few of those Ballagh lads on the squad. I think Drake, Kilcullens, Derek Moran, Andy Moran and Barry Regan will all get a shot.

Would any of ye be inviting Jimmy Nallen back next year if ye were in charge. I'd have him there anyways. Another Crossmolina addition might be Brian Benson.

Barney

Venter I'd like to see Brian Benson given a go.

Jimmy Nallen is a legend but his best days are behind him. He still has a role to play though and I would not even contemplate dropping him completely from the squad. You never know JOM may reinvigorate him - he did help Ray Silke win an AI after all. 

Of the Ballagh contingent I would rate David Kilcullen very highly. Not sure about Drake - he' certainly no Jimmy Nallen. Barry Regan looked to have potential but he looked like a fish out of water against Laois. In fairness he was thrown in at the deep end but I don't think he has the pace for Summer football.

The first XV needs tweaking in the backs in particular. Otherwise the rest of our team is as good as we have got unless somebody puts down a marker.

Clarke

x                   x                  Higgins

Higgins          x                 Gardiner

McGarrity        Harte

Dillon          McDonald         x

Mortimer        Mortimer        x

DJGaliv

Jaysus lads, another 40,000 replies to go until O'Mahoney decides it's not for him. It would be great for Mayo to get him, but wll it solve your lack of aerial ability in your full back line.

Who'll be the first Mayoman to start a topic "Connacht final 2007 Mayo v Roscommon"?