Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

QuoteAlso believe we need to deploy Barry Moran at midfield

You wouldn't put him near the county side on his performance in the U21 Championship semi-final during the week. Was cleaned at midfield against Burrioshoole. Castlebar won but Moran was bullied out of the game by young McManamon over the 60 minutes. Tom Cunniffe looked immense at times playing center half back and will be one for the future. 

Barney

Liam O'Malley is not good enough for the corner. Maybe worth a shot on the wing but has always been exposed defensively

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayoman dan on August 31, 2007, 03:41:08 PM
I would like to see Howley at wing back and let Higgins and O Malley man the corner back positions.Regarding the no 6 jersey i think Heaney is the man for this position as we have a number of options at midfield and i would hate to see Heaney at fb again.We are in desperate need of a fb and i for one would like to see Ger Cafferky given a shot.Has any fb stood out during the club championship dat could be given a chance?

I keep saying to people who know me that if John Brogan was a few inches taller, our no 3 position would be solved. He's outstanding for Knockmore but lacking the height for an inter-county fullback.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayo51

i rememberr brogan as a minor and was very impressed with him.always thought he would have made ithe county team but for some reason it never happened for him.also m.j menaghan from tourmac . was the other corner back on the mayo minors and again i thought he would have been a county player but he never made the grade either.i would like to see howley  to be given a chance at c.h.b .even tho he lacks the height he is pretty robust and takes no prisoners and i think his pace may be a bit suspect for corner back

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on August 31, 2007, 01:23:50 PM
I would have thought Howley has the makings of a top class corner back, I don't think he's nearly big enough to play Centre back at inter-county level though

Howley, IMO, is not a corner back, hes not a man marker but he is the best reader of a ball since peter butler in knockmore, and i'd love to see him at CHB,its defo his best position by far
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Barney

Any news on Pearse Hanley. Is the decision made?

Tubberman

I presume he is going, but haven't heard anything definite.
He said he'd love to win a county title with Ballagh before he goes (which suggests he is planning to go).
But what happens if Ballagh do go on and win the county title? Will he ask the Aussies to let him stick around for another while to help Ballagh in the Connacht championship?
Or will he just have to bite the bullet and leave the chance of a Connacht medal and possible All-Ireland behind?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

big piece on sean malee in the mayo news this week . he looked very promising a few years back when he cam back from the US  . is he made of the right stuff?
any cuilchies on board?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

mayo51

mallee scored 4 points today and was m.o.m. in win v swinford

stephenite

Still too small, big difference between that and inter county

joemamas

agree does not have a lot to offer at county level.  never liked the way he tackled foot first.

Barney

Mayo Intermediate Football v Intercounty team fulcrum.

We've enough midgets. If we need a fulcrum for a team at number 11 we must look elsewhere. If we need a small nippy corner forward we have one.

The local press in any county can create superstars very easily.

Mayo4Sam

Malee was always an impressive soccer player, but very small for county football, will be interesting to see how he does in the senior championship nex year. Deserves a chacne given his form this year
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.