Photos and videos of Tyrone over the years

Started by Fuzzman, December 03, 2014, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Club Rossa on December 09, 2014, 09:30:48 AM
This thread has got me thinking about the best Tyrone 15 I've ever seen.Started going to Tyrone games around 82-83.

1.F. McConnell
2.R. McMenamin
3.C. McAnalllen
4.F. Devlin
5.K. McCabe
6.C. Gormley
7.P. Jordan
8.E. McKenna
9.P. Donaghy
10.B. Dooher
11.B. McGuigan
12.S. Cavanagh
13.S. O'Neill
14. F. McGuigan
15. P. Canavan

I know Cormac only played a few games at fb but he just edges Chris Lawn and Ciaran McGarvey for me.Toss of a coin between John Lynch and Ricey.They were the only 2 positions I had bother picking.

Hard to argue with that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2014, 09:48:37 AM
This thread has got me thinking about the best Tyrone 15 I've ever seen.Started going to Tyrone games around 82-83.

1.F. McConnell
2.R. McMenamin
3.C. McAnalllen
4.F. Devlin
5.K. McCabe
6.C. Gormley
7.P. Jordan
8.E. McKenna
9.P. Donaghy
10.B. Dooher
11.B. McGuigan
12.S. Cavanagh
13.S. O'Neill
14. F. McGuigan
15. P. Canavan

I know Cormac only played a few games at fb but he just edges Chris Lawn and Ciaran McGarvey for me.Toss of a coin between John Lynch and Ricey.They were the only 2 positions I had bother picking.

Hard to argue with that.

Don't see why anybody would suggest Cavanagh at wing forward though.  He would be a cert in midfield.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Club Rossa

No he wouldnt.
McKenna and Donaghy were much better fielders of a ball in midfield.

Tyrone Gaa

In fairness Cavanagh could play any position from midfield onwards.  Class act. 
Living the dream!!!

Club Rossa

That's why I had him at 12,more versatile than Plunkett.

tyrone86

1.F. McConnell
2.R. McMenamin
3.C. McAnalllen
4.F. Devlin
5.K. McCabe
6.C. Gormley
7.P. Jordan
8.E. McKenna
9.P. Donaghy
10.B. Dooher
11.B. McGuigan
12.S. Cavanagh
13.S. O'Neill
14. F. McGuigan
15. P. Canavan

Funny, I did a similar exercise in 2009 on the board and wasn't a million miles away from what you selected. Ricey got in by a hair and 4-15 were exactly the same by position but I went for Cricko as opposed to Cormac or McGarvey at 3 and Skelton instead of Finbar.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Club Rossa on December 09, 2014, 10:45:56 AM
That's why I had him at 12,more versatile than Plunkett.
Eugene got  all stars at MF, CHF & FF so pretty versitile aswell!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

WT4E

Quote from: LeoMc on December 05, 2014, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on December 04, 2014, 12:22:56 PM
Plenty of chat outta ye but not many pics. C'mon lads
Anyone wanna have a stab and naming this crew?
73 was an important year for Tyrone
I was born.

Pat Scullion, Sean Gormley, Joe Cunningham, Martin Lennon, Colm McAleer, Bosco O'Neill, John McGee, Barry Campbell, Pat McCluskey, Michael Quinn, Hugh Mooney, Patsy Kerlin.

Eugene McKenna, Eugene Devlin, Sean O'Kane, Gerry Goodwin, Des McKenna (Captain), Justin O'Doherty, Kieran Currie, Tony Marlow, Seamus Coyne.

I knew Martin Lennon AKA George was in that photo but couldn't pick him out and then when I realised were he was I always heard he wore a headband! KWT brought the style back in '73  ;D

nrico2006

Quote from: Club Rossa on December 09, 2014, 10:22:58 AM
No he wouldnt.
McKenna and Donaghy were much better fielders of a ball in midfield.

Since when has the definition of the best midfielder been the person who is better at catching a ball? Cavanagh was a better midfielder than both.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Club Rossa

McKenna,Donaghy and Cavanagh in my opinion have been the 3 best midfielders I have seen playing for Tyrone.Both Eugene and Plunkett were better fielders and could also play a bit too,they weren't just one trick ponies.Cavanagh's biggest strength is his running at defenders which he could do from no.12 as well.
If I had to pick one between Donaghy and Cavanagh(which I didn't have to) I would pick Sean but I put him at wing forward.Simple really.
Anyway keep your hair on,it's not like we're going to send this team out to play a game!!

Mikhailov

Quote from: Club Rossa on December 09, 2014, 01:06:53 PM
McKenna,Donaghy and Cavanagh in my opinion have been the 3 best midfielders I have seen playing for Tyrone.Both Eugene and Plunkett were better fielders and could also play a bit too,they weren't just one trick ponies.Cavanagh's biggest strength is his running at defenders which he could do from no.12 as well.
If I had to pick one between Donaghy and Cavanagh(which I didn't have to) I would pick Sean but I put him at wing forward.Simple really.
Anyway keep your hair on,it's not like we're going to send this team out to play a game!!

Whilst Cavanagh is undoubtedly a modern day great, both McKenna and Donaghy were exceptional footballers who are indeed worthy of their place on any all time Tyrone 15. Both of these men would have excelled in the modern day game with their natural ability and athleticism. Remember these men played when training more than twice a week was deemed extreme, nutrition was a funny word and S&C was unheard of. To me Donaghy was better than Cavanagh at midfield but Sean is a more rounded and overall better player as he has much more versatility in his game. McKenna was a great who played with a very elegant style but was hard with it and has 3 all stars at Midfield, CHF and FF to show for it.

Fuzzman

Trying to steal my thread are ye lads. Haha
I was up home at the weekend and well known member of the club kindly sent me these great pics.
Anyone wanna stab a guess at what matches they were for.

Look at who was No 12 in the 3rd pic team sheet

God14

Some great pictures there Fuzz
Look at the head of hair on Noel McGinn  ;D

Bensars

Top Picture was 1986 AI final
Second was Galway  86 semi final

team sheet was pre 84 i think. At that stage (1984) Patsy Kerlin was establihed at  No.10  And Mickey Harte and Pat King werent involved do i would put it about 82 ?

4th - no idea

5th  1973 minor patsy Kerlin in white boots - midfield.     Vs Cork ?

nrico2006

Good pics fuzz.  You got any old late 80s or 90s Aughabrack team photos from any age group?