Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciaran1988

Well lads what do we all make of the new Hurling Structure and how it will effect our game

Milltown Row2

Will make it even harder for Antrim to get to Croke park, giving teams two bites at the cherry means they usually win the next match..

Antrim need to win the Christy Ring, never thought I'd be saying that!! We need to look at our development stage and see how can we improve our worth?

Location was never helping us, the ability not just for our senior teams but also our club teams having challenge matches with strong neighbouring counties to help raise the standard, what club has the resources to have regular challenge games for a few weekends a year with players able to commit to it? Unlike being positioned centrally and a hours drive will take you to top Dublin Kilkenny Galway Tipp or even north Cork and East Clare teams!

Our county teams need to be doing that at all levels.. if we continue to play the same teams every week we'll continue with same results...

Coaching the right way is so important, too many people turn up and do the same thing, working on the finer skills of the game is as important as the fundementals...parent participation is massive getting them to buy in will keep the kids at it for longer, once the child is hooked then you have them..

We could go on and on. Have we ever had a hurling boss of sorts that overseen hurling throughout the county, grassroots right through to senior, monitoring clubs coaching and commitment levels and looking at ways to help a club that's struggling in those areas, arranging coaching sessions and games ? Jim Nelson would have been perfect for that role and I certainly remember going to a few sessions he took at Casement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: ciaran1988 on October 01, 2017, 04:41:22 AM
Well lads what do we all make of the new Hurling Structure and how it will effect our game

If we win the Christy ring we'd play 3rd place in the Munster/Leinster Championship. So possibly Wexford, Dublin, Cork, Clare. That would be played in Antrim. Win that and you're into the All Ireland quarter final proper.

The only remaining problem is .........we're shit.

hurlingstick

Sarsfields winning 20-10 v Blaney .......really good team at Intermediate level.

hurlingstick

Sarsfields won 1.27 - 0.11 .......big scoreline

imtommygunn

Lavey won by a massive score too. Should be a interesting game if they meet.

hurlingstick

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 01, 2017, 04:00:45 PM
Lavey won by a massive score too. Should be a interesting game if they meet.

37 - 10 .....massive. That could make a great game.

NAG1

Bit of a disgrace that Lavey should be playing at this level tbf.

old timers

Seen on Social media today that Rossa minors won the minor hurling league at the weekend without any defeats along the way.  Well done to them.  Nice to see hurling in Belfast is still alive and kicking.

theskull1

Quote from: old timers on October 02, 2017, 01:07:54 PM
Seen on Social media today that Rossa minors won the minor hurling league at the weekend without any defeats along the way.  Well done to them.  Nice to see hurling in Belfast is still alive and kicking.

I'm not sure Rossa folk who know the pedigree of that squad will take much consolation from winning the league. How would anyone in the city who follows the sport not know just how commanding that team were through juvenile? Ballycastle chinned them in the 1st round of the Championship.....still trying to work out how that happened.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on October 02, 2017, 01:23:40 PM
Quote from: old timers on October 02, 2017, 01:07:54 PM

I'm not sure Rossa folk who know the pedigree of that squad will take much consolation from winning the league. How would anyone in the city who follows the sport not know just how commanding that team were through juvenile? Ballycastle chinned them in the 1st round of the Championship.....still trying to work out how that happened.

I doubt you are overly worried either Skull  ;D

Link

Quote from: NAG1 on October 02, 2017, 11:40:17 AM

New hurling structure within derry this year. seems everyone is fairly happy with the amount of fixtures and the structure of everything.

Do you have a proposal for who should represent derry at intermediate level given Na Magha beat Coleraine easy and Coleraine can't represent Derry at junior level?

I would currently rank the derry teams in this order - SL, Banagher, KL, Screen, Lavey, Swatragh, Na Magha, Coleraine.

NAG1

Quote from: Link on October 02, 2017, 01:33:10 PM

New hurling structure within derry this year. seems everyone is fairly happy with the amount of fixtures and the structure of everything.

Do you have a proposal for who should represent derry at intermediate level given Na Magha beat Coleraine easy and Coleraine can't represent Derry at junior level?

I would currently rank the derry teams in this order - SL, Banagher, KL, Screen, Lavey, Swatragh, Na Magha, Coleraine.

Not my responsibility to be proposing anyone, my point was that a club like Lavey playing in Im. Championship is not good for anyone.
It is not solely a Derry problem, I also think that Sarsfields are too good to be playing at that level too.

There has been a trend within Antrim in recent years to just drop down that level to get a championship run. Smacks of taking the easy route for me. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on October 02, 2017, 01:42:31 PM

Not my responsibility to be proposing anyone, my point was that a club like Lavey playing in Im. Championship is not good for anyone.
It is not solely a Derry problem, I also think that Sarsfields are too good to be playing at that level too.

There has been a trend within Antrim in recent years to just drop down that level to get a championship run. Smacks of taking the easy route for me.

Sarsfields are a div 3/4 team this year, they were relegated the year before and stayed at Intermediate, and could have played in the Junior championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2017, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 02, 2017, 01:42:31 PM

Sarsfields are a div 3/4 team this year, they were relegated the year before and stayed at Intermediate, and could have played in the Junior championship

Thats correct MR2 but I am talking about the talent that they have within the club, there is no way they should be a 3/4 team begin with.

It was a general point.