Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clowry13

Downs best 15 that there could be: (when everyone Available)
1. Kane
2.Ohagan
3. G.McGovern
4.Howard
5. CMcGovern
6. Benny Mcardle
7. Gavrey?
8. Big Dan
9.Mckernan
10. Ryan Johnston
11.Clarke
12.Mooney
13.j.Johnston
14.RUSHE
15.O'Hare

NP 76

If you were at yesterday's game you wouldn't have Kane or Mc Kernan on that team.  My verdict is still a long way off on Mooney starting on any team as for Rushe are you serious ?

whitegoodman

Agree with NP, are you basing Mooney on his form for St Colemans? Tiernan Rushe, you are either on the wind up, drunk or just an edjit !!!

clowry13

Sorry. I meant to say Mcgarry, got completely mixed up between him and Rushe... Although, in reply to NP.. Mckernan will clearly start, he's been the best player in recent Ulster championship games. It's only feburary

clowry13

white goodman..... do you not rate rushe?? still only 18 in the end of the day

rosskarr

Quote from: clowry13 on February 08, 2016, 09:00:38 PM
Sorry. I meant to say Mcgarry, got completely mixed up between him and Rushe... Although, in reply to NP.. Mckernan will clearly start, he's been the best player in recent Ulster championship games. It's only feburary
clowry13, you wanted Rushe on the panel before Christmas (is he still devoted to Ballyholland and GAA or is he in soccer mode these months?)Last season you said McGarry hadn't done it in Div2 last year so how does he merit inclusion now when there has been no football recently?

TooLongRef

Quote from: rosskarr on February 08, 2016, 09:09:57 PM
clowry13, you wanted Rushe on the panel before Christmas (is he still devoted to Ballyholland and GAA or is he in soccer mode these months?)Last season you said McGarry hadn't done it in Div2 last year so how does he merit inclusion now when there has been no football recently?

No rosskarr he's still devoted to Ballyholland and also his county under 21's 'these months' ya wankbag. Hasn't kicked a soccer ball in 2 years either, shows how much you really know.

clowry13

Ross karr, I see huge potential in Rushe, how come the likes of Tyrone and Derry have teenage boys in their panel but down don't give young players the opportunity.
Tyrone have David mulgrew starting McKenna cups games and he's only 18. Where as Derry have 18 year old jack Doherty in there camp.
In relation to Mcgarry, I thought he hadn't proved himself in division 1 12 months ago but my perception has changed

rosskarr

Quote from: clowry13 on February 08, 2016, 09:16:48 PM
Ross karr, I see huge potential in Rushe, how come the likes of Tyrone and Derry have teenage boys in their panel but down don't give young players the opportunity.
Tyrone have David mulgrew starting McKenna cups games and he's only 18. Where as Derry have 18 year old jack Doherty in there camp.
In relation to Mcgarry, I thought he hadn't proved himself in division 1 12 months ago but my perception has changed
Just that I disagree but time will tell.

rosskarr

Quote from: TooLongRef on February 08, 2016, 09:12:11 PM

No rosskarr he's still devoted to Ballyholland and also his county under 21's 'these months' ya wankbag. Hasn't kicked a soccer ball in 2 years either, shows how much you really know.
Is it not bedtime up in the Hills?

mourneman9194

New to this discussion board. Been at the previous two games and must say Down were much better against Monaghan even in defeat with certain individuals doing much better all over the pitch. Was impressed with the way the midfield bounced back even with all the criticism they took from certain individuals on this who's comments where disgusting. Think we all need to realise that it's a work in progress and it's not going to happen overnight. Also in light of the 17 point defeat in newry last week, the way Donegal dismantled Cork yesterday might suggest that Donegal are a few steps ahead in their preparation than other division 1 teams.

PAULD123

I agree with an earlier comment about the best Tyrone schoolboys immediately being brought into senior training. By the time they were 22-23 years old Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly, Darren McCurry, Ronan O'Neill, Connor McAliskey, Connor Clarke, had all played with the squad for 3-4 seasons and were experienced county players.

We seem to have a trend of waiting until players are 22-23 before even giving them their debuts, so they are not experienced until a few years later when in fact they should be at their peak. A prime example is Ross McGarry, star forward for St Colmans and our All-Ireland semifinalists minors in 2009, wasn't brought into the county squad till last year then dropped this year.

Ross is just one example other people at other clubs will have similar stories to tell. So is it any wonder with a team of lads in their early twenties that it is a raw "work in progress" when it should be a work of refinement.

Mourne Rover

There is always going to be a debate about the best time to bring in young recruits to county football but most of the Tyrone players PaulD mentions were introduced via the u21s rather than the minors. The last time Down brought a minor into a senior team was probably Benny Coulter in 2000, and many people would say that Benny played too much rather than too little football in his early days. Ross McGarry is a talented forward but he is very much on the small side and promoting him straight from the minors into the senior county squad would simply not have worked. Even today, Eamonn Burns appears to have decided not unreasonably that he needs to use bigger and stronger options in our attack at this stage.

clowry13

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 09, 2016, 12:09:55 PM
There is always going to be a debate about the best time to bring in young recruits to county football but most of the Tyrone players PaulD mentions were introduced via the u21s rather than the minors. The last time Down brought a minor into a senior team was probably Benny Coulter in 2000, and many people would say that Benny played too much rather than too little football in his early days. Ross McGarry is a talented forward but he is very much on the small side and promoting him straight from the minors into the senior county squad would simply not have worked. Even today, Eamonn Burns appears to have decided not unreasonably that he needs to use bigger and stronger options in our attack at this stage.
we simply don't have big and stronger options in our attack though.

TooLongRef

Quote from: clowry13 on February 09, 2016, 02:31:28 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 09, 2016, 12:09:55 PM
we simply don't have big and stronger options in our attack though.

I think we should bring Anthony Devlin in, he has power, speed, experience, and can kick off both feet, plus hes on the healthier side of 15 stone, we could do with someone with his physicality