Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

I wouldn't really pay much heed to the actual u21 competition run within the county.
Its a dud comp and played at a time of year when its hard for players to give a sh!te.
I was more thinking of the large % of players who play regular top tier football for their clubs or have shown pedigree at Ulster Colleges level beforehand.
Would have thought that the stronger/bigger clubs in Down would have decent 21s lining out for them regularly.

TooLongRef

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 12, 2015, 11:55:34 AM
I wouldn't really pay much heed to the actual u21 competition run within the county.
Its a dud comp and played at a time of year when its hard for players to give a sh!te.
I was more thinking of the large % of players who play regular top tier football for their clubs or have shown pedigree at Ulster Colleges level beforehand.
Would have thought that the stronger/bigger clubs in Down would have decent 21s lining out for them regularly.

I think a lot of us in this county under estimate the talent coming through our underage. although we have not performed well at county standard this past while if we look at each club there are a number of quality young individuals who are all probably good enough to break into senior teams, but is it a case that some club senior managers are afraid to play a youngster over someone who has been around longer?

'ifyoure good enough youre old enough' ???

rosskarr

Quote from: TooLongRef on March 11, 2015, 04:21:27 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on March 11, 2015, 01:00:02 PM
You get more from making polite points than swearing but at least Our-Fella was making a valid case. Ross did well for a debut and for me never wasted possession which is more than can be said for a lot of our players. His only error was a missed point attempt but that was hardly a crime. He played a lot better than Jerome did when he came on (and I am a huge fan of Jerome). But what part of his performance was not up to standard?

As for the comment that he never proved himself in division 2!!!!! Are you for real?

Think he's trying to say that playing division 2 last year Ross hasn't proved himself as good enough for county standard boss. Hard to disagree because any wise man knows division 2 is a poor standard as is intermediate football.
Is Div 2 not Intermediate?

TooLongRef

Quote from: rosskarr on March 12, 2015, 12:13:38 PM
Quote from: TooLongRef on March 11, 2015, 04:21:27 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on March 11, 2015, 01:00:02 PM
You get more from making polite points than swearing but at least Our-Fella was making a valid case. Ross did well for a debut and for me never wasted possession which is more than can be said for a lot of our players. His only error was a missed point attempt but that was hardly a crime. He played a lot better than Jerome did when he came on (and I am a huge fan of Jerome). But what part of his performance was not up to standard?

As for the comment that he never proved himself in division 2!!!!! Are you for real?

Think he's trying to say that playing division 2 last year Ross hasn't proved himself as good enough for county standard boss. Hard to disagree because any wise man knows division 2 is a poor standard as is intermediate football.
Is Div 2 not Intermediate?

unless youre calling the ulster intermediate championship div2 then no it isnt

T O Hare

Where did big Grimley go?? He impressed me when he played minor.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Line Ball

Quote from: NP 76 on March 12, 2015, 10:07:25 AM
Down team tonight was
Mark Reid Bryansford
Aaron Mc Donald Bryansford
Aaron Beattie Newry bosco
Aidan Fulcher kilcoo
Anthony Doherty Downpatrick
Rory Burns Castlewellan
Ruairi Wells Bryansford
Conor Devlin Bryansford
Joe Mc Kinney daragh Cross
Martin Devlin kilcoo
Cathal Foy Burren
Aaron Magee Warrenpoint
Pat Havern saval
Rory Mason loughisland
Conal Gallagher Newry Bosco

Four of the seven in defence from Bryansford and another who doesn't play for his club senior team enough said!

Quote from: TooLongRef on March 12, 2015, 12:07:27 PM

I think a lot of us in this county under estimate the talent coming through our underage. although we have not performed well at county standard this past while if we look at each club there are a number of quality young individuals who are all probably good enough to break into senior teams, but is it a case that some club senior managers are afraid to play a youngster over someone who has been around longer?

Seriously, if a lad hasn't made it onto his senior team at 21, then is there really much hope for him?  Many of the lads on the team last night I just would not know.  The management got the panel wrong in the first place leaving lads out and then when they went back to them (knowing they made a mistake) the lads told them where to go.  They must shoulder alot of the blame for not even getting the best panel together never mind the best team.  Dawson's horrors at county level continue.

Highlander3

Quote from: Down Follower on March 12, 2015, 11:28:33 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 12, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Shocking low representation from South Down clubs in there.
Not often you see county side with little or nobody from Mayobridge, Clonduff, Rostrevor, Burren on it.
Maybe this is the way things are going. Is the talent all residing in East Down now?

A Final of 2014 was Warrenpoint v Burren
B Final of 2014 was Rostrevor v Carryduff

3 out of 4 finalists from South Down

And no one from Carryduff in the down team either

We do a really bad job of developing players from the north of down even though they are good at underage! I think it's because we think they will not stick at GAA, but if we don't pick them we are not helping them to stay playing football

imagine

Quote from: T O Hare on March 12, 2015, 05:31:47 PM
Where did big Grimley go?? He impressed me when he played minor.
Tom  is trying to transfer out of here to the continental array
of stars in St Galls which is a pity for us and Down
As for last night it would appear we were beaten by a half strength
Derry team.

imagine

Quote from: Highlander3 on March 12, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
Quote from: Down Follower on March 12, 2015, 11:28:33 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 12, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Shocking low representation from South Down clubs in there.
Not often you see county side with little or nobody from Mayobridge, Clonduff, Rostrevor, Burren on it.
Maybe this is the way things are going. Is the talent all residing in East Down now?

A Final of 2014 was Warrenpoint v Burren
B Final of 2014 was Rostrevor v Carryduff

3 out of 4 finalists from South Down

And no one from Carryduff in the down team either

We do a really bad job of developing players from the north of down even though they are good at underage! I think it's because we think they will not stick at GAA, but if we don't pick them we are not helping them to stay playing football

We don't stick at it. Full stop. My previous post being the latest example.

T O Hare

Quote from: Line Ball on March 12, 2015, 05:49:06 PM
Down team tonight was
Mark Reid Bryansford
Aidan Fulcher kilcoo
Rory Burns Castlewellan
Ruairi Wells Bryansford
Conor Devlin Bryansford
Martin Devlin kilcoo
Cathal Foy Burren
Aaron Magee Warrenpoint
Pat Havern saval
Rory Mason loughisland

Four of the seven in defence from Bryansford and another who doesn't play for his club senior team enough said!

Seriously, if a lad hasn't made it onto his senior team at 21, then is there really much hope for him?  Many of the lads on the team last night I just would not know.  The management got the panel wrong in the first place leaving lads out and then when they went back to them (knowing they made a mistake) the lads told them where to go.  They must shoulder alot of the blame for not even getting the best panel together never mind the best team.  Dawson's horrors at county level continue.

A wee bit hard on the lad from Kilcoo. Their defence is quite hard to break into and playing regulary for the top four teams in the ACPRL is as good and if not better on some occassions as playing in the second division.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Line Ball

Quote from: T O Hare on March 12, 2015, 08:34:34 PM
Down team tonight was
Mark Reid Bryansford
Aidan Fulcher kilcoo
Rory Burns Castlewellan
Ruairi Wells Bryansford
Conor Devlin Bryansford
Martin Devlin kilcoo
Cathal Foy Burren
Aaron Magee Warrenpoint
Pat Havern saval
Rory Mason loughisland

A wee bit hard on the lad from Kilcoo. Their defence is quite hard to break into and playing regulary for the top four teams in the ACPRL is as good and if not better on some occassions as playing in the second division.

Mc Corry was never slow about whipping men off if they weren't at the races in any game, that lad has never played any senior championship game for Kilcoo that I have ever been at.  It shows you how far he is off the pace and as a man who plays for his reserves is expected to produce the goods for a County team. Poor selection if you ask me.

The other point people have made about the number of East Down v South Down players.  Everyone knows that South Down have always dominated this competition, like many others,yet the management makes poor selection choices.  It just doesn't make sense.  This was a Derry team that were at least 8 short of their strongest line-up and we can't get close to them. Dawson may be magic at club level but at county his record speaks for itself,awful.

SHEEDY

lads this has been going on for years. the whole set up from u21 to minors, to the development squads is a joke. how many of these players will ever grace a down senior jersey? we should be looking to bring in at least 2 or 3 u21s to the senior set up, no offence but i cant see many of these guys making it.
nil satis nisi optimum

Line Ball

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 12, 2015, 09:10:22 PM
lads this has been going on for years. the whole set up from u21 to minors, to the development squads is a joke. how many of these players will ever grace a down senior jersey? we should be looking to bring in at least 2 or 3 u21s to the senior set up, no offence but i cant see many of these guys making it.

I have never seen such a poor U.21 squad with absolutely no-one on the senior panel.  So much for progression and what will this mean for our senior squad in a few years if we cannot produce anyone good enough to be in both Senior and U.21 in the same year?  It is along time since we have been so poor and with even worse performances at minor level over the last year or two I can't see things getting any better.

TooLongRef

Down team tonight was
Mark Reid Bryansford
Aidan Fulcher kilcoo
Rory Burns Castlewellan
Ruairi Wells Bryansford
Conor Devlin Bryansford
Martin Devlin kilcoo
Cathal Foy Burren
Aaron Magee Warrenpoint
Pat Havern saval
Rory Mason loughisland

Cory Quinn can't find a starting place in the mayobridge senior team at the minute and he's one of the hottest talents in the county.

Dawson tries to make it more about himself than about the players. Dropped the big names for 'not working hard enough'. Quinn was scoring for fun before he was dropped, apparently scored 1-7 in a challenge game 2 days before hand too, find it hard how Dawson could justify that no matter how hard the lad works, he's there to score.

NP 76

That's the probelm to much emphasis put on work,tracking back , this roaring and shouting pressure pressure yet managers seem to forget you have to score to win the game. These vests will show up who is not doing the work but will not tell you if a man has taken 3 steps one way to open up space for another man or how many points you scored. The game has gone to hell and people will soon start talking with their feet and not attending games. Who wants to go to watch borefests week after week