Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Highlander, there was no negative comment on John Kelly, who was a brilliant half back, but the suggestion was that Kevin McKernan mght be a slightly better all-round footballer who has represented his country with distinction, covers his defence, wins the ball down the middle and gets up to take exceptional scores. Are you saying that Kelly was better than McKernan ?

thebar

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 14, 2015, 12:41:25 AM
Highlander, there was no negative comment on John Kelly, who was a brilliant half back, but the suggestion was that Kevin McKernan mght be a slightly better all-round footballer who has represented his country with distinction, covers his defence, wins the ball down the middle and gets up to take exceptional scores. Are you saying that Kelly was better than McKernan ?

I'd take Kelly over Mckernan for what he brought to the team you cant compare the two Kelly was a wing half back? Mckernan is a more central player if I was picking the team for the 91 all ireland final and I had the wing back berth to fill John Kelly would have been my pick. Kevin McKernan is still a good footballer and probably in the top 3-4 footballers when he is on song in the county today.

Gaa for life

This might be a bit of a random post. But did anyone see this weeks mourns observer? There is three down players pictured playing against Derry and all 3 are wearing different types of socks? One of them is wearing black Nike tennis socks? Is this not a bit indisciplined? Maybe I'm old fashioned but should each member of the team not be kitted out exactly the same? Especially on a big championship day like last Sunday?

Mourne Rover

On today's performance, we are far better off in the qualifiers than taking on Donegal in an Ulster semi final. The result at Celtic Park was disappointing, but it may not do us any harm if we can get some sort of a back door run.

SHEEDY

Down will play Wexford away in the qualifiers after Wexford were beaten 1-21 to 0-15 by Westmeath today.
nil satis nisi optimum

Ed Hardy

Wonder will there been any changes made to the panel before the Wexford game?

The Raven

Just looking at league tables on new website. One team caught my attention, Newry Shamrocks. What's the story there. If they don't pick up a few wins they end up in div. 3. They play Dromara next who have had their first 2 wins of the year over the weekend

east down gael

Shamrocks are a young team,but fairly poor.in the old league divisions they would be a mid to lower tier division 3 team.bosco are probably worse,which is surprising as only a few years ago they looked like pushing on to a higher level.they have a few quality players, but those guys are ploughing a lonely furrow. Newry football is at an all time low,something which would need to be addressed. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say that a small club just outside newry with a small pick such as glenn,ballyholland or saval would in all likelyhood beat the pick of the three town teams at present.

Down Follower

Position   Team   Played   Won   Lost   Drawn   For   Against   Diff   Points
1   Burren     7   7   0   0   156   76   80   14
2   Bryansford   7   5   1   1   119   87   32   11
3   Bholland   8   5   2   1   97   86   11   11
4   Cwellan   8   5   3   0   119   107   12   10
5   Saval   7   5   2   0   102   81   21   10
6   Clonduff   8   4   3   1   136   97   39   9
7   Cpn      8   3   2   3   100   104   -4   9
8   Mbridge   7   4   3   0   119   107   12   8
9   Rostrevor   8   3   4   1   111   101   10   7
10   Glenn   7   3   2   2   77   78   -1   7
11   Annaclone   8   3   4   1   80   93   -13   6
12   Kilcoo   6   2   2   2   63   62   1   6
13   Longstone   7   1   4   2   88   118   -30   4
14   RGU     8   2   6   0   103   118   -15   4
15   C na B   8   1   7   0   60   143   -83   2
16   Liatroim   8   0   8   0   79   151   -72   0
* Glenn had -1 points deducted. Annaclone had -1 points deducted. For the following reason: CCC Meeting 2nd June

Seems to have been a decision made on the Glenn/Annaclone game. The standings show the game being awarded as a draw with both teams getting 1 point - then the comment below the table states they have been deducted 1 point each, leaving it an effective NIL points decision for the two teams.  Is my reading of this correct?

charlieTully

Quote from: east down gael on June 15, 2015, 12:41:20 AM
Shamrocks are a young team,but fairly poor.in the old league divisions they would be a mid to lower tier division 3 team.bosco are probably worse,which is surprising as only a few years ago they looked like pushing on to a higher level.they have a few quality players, but those guys are ploughing a lonely furrow. Newry football is at an all time low,something which would need to be addressed. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say that a small club just outside newry with a small pick such as glenn,ballyholland or saval would in all likelyhood beat the pick of the three town teams at present.

ballyholland always had a good pick from the town, went to school in newry and a good few of the lads played for the harps and they were all from the town, maybe its different now.

5 Sams

Quote from: charlieTully on June 15, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

ballyholland always had a good pick from the town, went to school in newry and a good few of the lads played for the harps and they were all from the town, maybe its different now.

Traditionally we got a few players from the old point road, Chapel St area (60s and 70s) but a few of the visionary lads about the club cast the net wider in the 80s and 90s and we ended up with quite a few lads from further afield. Currently from the starting lineup V RGU last Fri night 10 of the lads were born and bred in Ballyholland with other lads like the Whites, Tommy Kane, etc brought up only a mile down the road.....while Paddy McAteer and Damien McCrinks folks are Ballyholland people. We have never had a poaching policy unlike some clubs. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

charlieTully

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 15, 2015, 05:33:21 PM

Traditionally we got a few players from the old point road, Chapel St area (60s and 70s) but a few of the visionary lads about the club cast the net wider in the 80s and 90s and we ended up with quite a few lads from further afield. Currently from the starting lineup V RGU last Fri night 10 of the lads were born and bred in Ballyholland with other lads like the Whites, Tommy Kane, etc brought up only a mile down the road.....while Paddy McAteer and Damien McCrinks folks are Ballyholland people. We have never had a poaching policy unlike some clubs. ;)

sorry if I gave the impression I thought yis were poaching players, never crossed my mind tbh, the lads in question were from the old point rd, the point rd, high st, rathfriland rd etc. what would the boundaries be if any?

thewobbler

It's looking very likely Shamrocks will play in the JFC come 2016.

That's just wrong. Much as it drove me mad that they beat us in every cruel fashion imaginable throughout the 2000s, it'd annoy me more if a generation of Ballyholland players missed out on this derby experience.

Sort it out the Rocks.

5 Sams

Quote from: charlieTully on June 15, 2015, 05:47:01 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 15, 2015, 05:33:21 PM

sorry if I gave the impression I thought yis were poaching players, never crossed my mind tbh, the lads in question were from the old point rd, the point rd, high st, rathfriland rd etc. what would the boundaries be if any?

Don't worry Charlie I know you weren't implying anything of the sort. As for boundaries there probably aren't any really. We are in the Parish of Newry so probably fully entitled to recruit throughout the town...but we are in a different electoral constituency...we are South Down. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

Is the Burren v Kilcoo game on tomorrow???
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"