Yes it happened.
9 (60%)
No it was a government/other lie.
4 (26.7%)
Don't know.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Gunpowder Plot, was it a real event or a government/other anti-catholic/anti-Spanish motivated hoax or perhaps a method of fooling James I into not trusting Catholics. It is a certainty that the later Popish Plot was a failed hoax, so how likely is it that the Gunpowder Plot was also a hoax?

Was it plausible to get hold of 36 barrels in James the I military state, which had a monopoly on gunpowder?

How were all these barrels trasported in one of the busiest parts of one of one of the busiest cities in the world (even back then)?

The river was not a transport option, as the gunpowder would have got damp.

How likely is it that Catholics would be allowed to rent property in the English Parliament?

They checked the cellers that day, at that time. This was not a normal practice, what an amazing coincidence!

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hardy

Ah no, they were definitely planning to blow the place up and the barrels of gunpowder were in place.

Antonia Fraser's account of it is a good read with great detail on the plot and the plotters.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

Maybe Nally Stand could let us know the truth about this one!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

ziggysego

Ziggy says there's a 5.2% possibility it was a hoax.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ziggysego on November 03, 2011, 02:24:24 PM
Ziggy says there's a 5.2% possibility it was a hoax.

Sams wondering what chance it was a huge politically motivated exageration?

Olly

WTF? No mention on Sky News. Saw a helicopter hovering above Newry a while ago but didn't think much of it. When did this happen?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2011, 01:06:57 PM
Ah no, they were definitely planning to blow the place up and the barrels of gunpowder were in place.

Antonia Fraser's account of it is a good read with great detail on the plot and the plotters.

Asking people to inform themselves about a historical event before commenting on it is an outrage. How do you expect them to maintain their prejudices and flights of fancy?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2011, 02:38:36 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2011, 01:06:57 PM

Asking people to inform themselves about a historical event before commenting on it is an outrage. How do you expect them to maintain their prejudices and flights of fancy?

Who is to say that no one here will have a look at that book. The sectarian nature of Guy Fawkes is not just about if the plot was real or not, but also how the event was used as a tool supress and oppress for a hundred or so years afterwards. In fact the event mostly died out in the enlightenment but the bigoted Victorians brought it back with a vengence.

Puckoon

Ive been invited to a Guy Fawkes party myself on Saturday night - many thousands of miles away from big bad old England.

Should I go, or should I stay in and close the blinds and turn the music up?

Guy Fawkes day is also my birthday - should that influence the decision at all?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 03:19:46 PM
Ive been invited to a Guy Fawkes party myself on Saturday night - many thousands of miles away from big bad old England.

Thats your choice Puckoon, I have made mine.

Olly

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2011, 03:23:03 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 03, 2011, 03:19:46 PM

Thats your choice Puckoon, I have made mine.

WTF's going on here? You two invited to same party about something in the current affairs? WTF???
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Puckoon

I'm just trying to think of a reason to not go to my friends party, that doesn't sound like I'm a raving lunatic.

Hardy