Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 02:03:26 PM
20% of people in NI have a single passport which is the Irish passport.

looking forward to seeing that source

Smokin Joe

I could see how a huge swathe of Northern Irish catholics would only have an Irish passport, so (whilst I have no dog in the fight) I could see a 20% figure.

vallankumous

Even if that stat is true it doesn't mean anything politically.

naka

Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 08, 2016, 03:02:36 PM
I could see how a huge swathe of Northern Irish catholics would only have an Irish passport, so (whilst I have no dog in the fight) I could see a 20% figure.
I would see it as higher than 20%
not lower

Applesisapples

Quote from: AQMP on December 08, 2016, 03:16:06 PM
Quote from: naka on December 08, 2016, 03:07:22 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 08, 2016, 03:02:36 PM
I would see it as higher than 20%
not lower

I was in a queue to check in for a flight from Aldergrove a few years ago (maybe around 2010).  In front of me were two couples (I'd guess early to mid 20s).  Two of the men and one of the women were wearing GAA county branded wear (OK it was Tyrone).  All three were carrying British passports.  Only the cutty too ashamed to wear Tyrone gear had an Irish passport.  When only 25% of the population consider themselves exclusively Irish and some of these won't hold a passport then 21% (or nearly 24% with dual passports) could be considered high.
I regularly chide my republican relatives for sporting their Brit passports. I would rather not travel than use one.

seafoid

Quote from: vallankumous on December 08, 2016, 03:04:34 PM
It does. It means the UK govt has to treat NI differently. Take England out of the EU by all means and strip Nigel and Debs of all those rights but don't f**k with NI.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

vallankumous

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 04:15:13 PM
It does. It means the UK govt has to treat NI differently. Take England out of the EU by all means and strip Nigel and Debs of all those rights but don't f**k with NI.

I don't see why.if it was to be treated different it should not have taken part in the referendum. It did and the result is the result.
Europe is awash with dual and emigrant passports.
The only thing Britain need to do is recognise irish and EU citizenship, which it does.

The responsibility of Irish passport holders lays in Dublin, not London.

seafoid

It means that anyone with an Irish passport benefits from  the advantages of being in the EU
So for example if junior wants to go to university  the Erasmus programme is open to her
while the poor loyalist family down the road will have to go to some uni in England which may not have funding 15 years after Brexit

An Irish passport makes a lot of sense for red white and blue Prods the way things are going.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 05:10:42 PM
So for example if junior wants to go to university  the Erasmus programme is open to her

Is this true? Is Erasmus based on citizenship and not residence? Can an Irish citizen in San Francisco go on Erasmus?
The UK may well stay in academic schemes though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2016, 05:26:32 PM

Is this true? Is Erasmus based on citizenship and not residence? Can an Irish citizen in San Francisco go on Erasmus?
Not sure about US but NI would qualify

The UK will not have a choice. Switz rejected free movement in 2014 and was kicked out of Erasmus

Visa free travel within Europe is another perk.
Also jobs in Euro institutions
More school/uni  exchanges
Funding for regional projects (Cornwall will really miss out)
The Irish passport will be far more welcome

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 08:26:43 PM

The UK will not have a choice. Switz rejected free movement in 2014 and was kicked out of Erasmus.

And Irish citizens in Switz were kicked out also. NI will only qualify if there is a "deal", which of course there should be.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2016, 08:50:05 PM

The UK will not have a choice. Switz rejected free movement in 2014 and was kicked out of Erasmus.

And Irish citizens in Switz were kicked out also. NI will only qualify if there is a "deal", which of course there should be.

There will be a deal for the occupied territories. Barnier explicitly mentioned it. But England is banjaxed. Nice for a change.

The Erasmus thing is a big deal for Swiss universities.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2016, 05:26:32 PM

Pretty sure Erasmus eligibility is based upon your home university rather than what type of passport you have.

vallankumous

It means that anyone with an Irish passport benefits from  the advantages of being in the EU
while the poor loyalist family down the road will have to go to some uni in England which may not have funding 15 years after Brexit

An Irish passport makes a lot of sense for red white and blue Prods the way things are going.

Yes. I'd advise people to get as many passports as they are entitled to. Not only Irish or UK.

michaelg

Quote from: seafoid on December 08, 2016, 10:03:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 08, 2016, 08:50:05 PM

There will be a deal for the occupied territories. Barnier explicitly mentioned it. But England is banjaxed. Nice for a change.

The Erasmus thing is a big deal for Swiss universities.
Occupied by who?