New Rules For Next Season

Started by David McKeown, December 09, 2007, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Sorry if this has been covered already but I see that under new rules for next season there will no longer be tickings.  Instead now two yellow cards will result in a replacement coming on to the field.  Does anyone have any more info on this, will it apply at all levels etc?  I don't think I like the rule at all, gives referees even more room to not issue a straight red card for striking which is one of the things that annoys me most

Where any other new rules past?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

orangeman

Expect the subs benches to be emptied !!!

orangeman

I think it is only for the league alright.

Rav67

what a stupid idea, it will encourage very cynical football. It wont see past the experimental trial though I'm sure.

orangeman

This is their idea of being forward thinking - will the referees be looking for more money for a change in their working conditions ??  ;D

I can see shop steward Dessie sitting down this week and balloting the employees on strike action as a result of the change in work practices !!  :D :D :D

Pangurban

Stupid idea that wont be extended beyond the wasteful trial period

Star Spangler

This is a good idea - certainly an improvement on the "ticking" joke.  Wtf was that about anyway?  No player will want to be sent to the bench during a game.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: orangeman on December 09, 2007, 08:37:46 PM
This is their idea of being forward thinking - will the referees be looking for more money for a change in their working conditions ??  ;D

No - they will be looking for a quota scheme based on the number of cards they hand out.

No cash - no cards  ;)
i usse an speelchekor

AZOffaly

What about if the team has already used 2 or 3 subs? Will the lad coming on count as another sub in their total of 5 subs/20 players? How about blood subs? I can see this getting very confusing. If they've already used 5, will it be a 'sending off' in effect?

Maximus Marillius

dopy rule. Your plaing kerry, fill the bench with four of the counties best man markers and send on each one to pull the head off the gooch, replacing the player who has recieved his second yellow. If ever a rule was made to encourage pore personal fouling this is it.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quotefill the bench with four of the counties best man markers and send on each one to pull the head off the gooch, replacing the player who has recieved his second yellow. If ever a rule was made to encourage pore personal fouling this is it.

In fairness very few counties could afford not to have their best man marker on the likes of the Gooch. I've always thought that being sent off for 3 personal fouls is harsh which is probably why the rule is never fully enforced. I still think a 10 minute sin bin for 3 personal fouls is worth giving a proper trial with red cards only given for serious foul play.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

BennyHarp

Just when we thought that we'd finally banished the ridiculous black book/card/ticking rule - the GAA are now introducing a 2 handed wavy, gesture type thing to signal that a player is being sent off (though he can be replaced) after two rough tackles! The lunatics have officially taken over the asylum!!

That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

This is from Hoganstand!

New hand signal for referees
11 December 2007

A double-handed signal will replace the issuing of a second yellow card by referees to order players off the field under proposed new disciplinary procedures, it has emerged.

A disciplinary task force, headed up by Leinster Council chairman Liam O'Neill, has been asked to prepare a motion for next April's Congress in Sligo with a view to having them in place for the 2008 championships.

The task force made a presentation of how the new system would work with the tick abandoned, and the facility for just one yellow card to be shown by a referee for a cautionable offence, to last Saturday's Central Council meeting. A player who receives a second yellow card for rough play under the current system would be replaced under the proposed system.

The new concept is along the lines of the failed system used in the 2005 leagues when yellow carded players were 'sin binned', but were allowed to be replaced.

"We spoke to a very high profile manager who told us that in 2005 he actually had to coach his players how not to foul and how to commit an effective tackle," O'Neill explained.

"He told us he'd have to do that again if these rules were introduced because he stopped once the previous experiment was abandoned."

The Laois man said the new system was aimed at simplifying the process of disciplining players and disagreed that the use of red cards would diminish with referees being given an opt-out clause.

"A red card offence is still a red card offence. It is up to the referees to deal with that," he added.

That was never a square ball!!