Padraic Joyce has retired

Started by Tubberman, November 29, 2012, 08:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

One of the all-time Galway and Connacht greats. A top-class out-and-out forward. I cursed him from the crowd so many times, but you had to admire him all the same!
It must have been very frustrating for him over the last few years. His inter-county career started off with such glory days and brought nothing but disappointment over the last 4 or 5 in particular.

QuoteGalway great Padraic Joyce announces retirement
52 minutes ago

One of Galway's greatest ever servants Padraic Joyce has announced his retirement from inter-county GAA.

By Declan Whooley

The 35 year-old leaves with two All-Ireland medals and six Connacht titles and now breaks the final link to the 1998 Sam Maguire winning team that ended a 32 year wait for All-Ireland success.

On of the most gifted players of his generation, Joyce has been tormenting defenders all over the country since bursting onto the scene as a 17 year-old in the 1994 All-Ireland Minor Final.

In recent years he has had to contend with injuries and last February declared himself available to new manager Alan Mulholland after a troubling Achilles injury. His substitute appearance in the disappointing qualifier defeat to Antrim was his last time to don the maroon jersey.

"I can't go on playing forever. I gave it some thought as other lads called a halt in recent years, but decided to persevere. But now the time is right to get out," Joyce said.

Galway have not won a Connacht title since 2008 and their fortunes have taken a turn for the worse, but no-one has fought hard for the Tribesmens' cause than the Killererin marksman.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

A great player and a Bearna Dearg laoch.

It might be a good while before we are back in Croker for the big matches but when it comes around again it is fellas like Joyce who will be the  inspiration for the players on the pitch.

98 will be remembered as long as fuball is played around Tuam. Meathies will never forget 2001 either.

ballinaman

One of the best ever. Broke our hearts so many times.

I remember the panic in the crowd anytime he got the ball in the 2004 Connacht Club final for Killererin.....lethal.

orangeman

They talk about good players and great players.

Joyce was a Rolls Royce.

blanketattack

With Joe Bergin also retired who's left from the '01 team?

Joyce will go down as one of the all time greats and fair dues to him for continuing to play even when Galway football entered the doldrums. They haven't won a qualifier since '04.

screenexile

He's taking it from the wrong f**king spot ref!!!

stephenite

Quote from: ballinaman on November 29, 2012, 09:05:42 AM
One of the best ever. Broke our hearts so many times.

I remember the panic in the crowd anytime he got the ball in the 2004 Connacht Club final for Killererin.....lethal.

That day back in the park in 2004 was the first thing I thought of as well, panic is a better word than fear.

That Galway forward line of Meehan, Savage and Joyce was some combination. Donnellan sitting outside them too, some team, the f**kers

Rossfan

Quote from: Tubberman on November 29, 2012, 08:01:10 AM
One of the all-time Galway and Connacht greats. A top-class out-and-out forward. I cursed him from the crowd so many times, but you had to admire him all the same!

+ 1 esp the cursed bit  ;D

Will refs now insist on frees from the hand being taken from the right spot?
He was a right bucko for stealing 5 or 6 metres
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

He gave the best performance I ever saw in an All-Ireland final. Leaving aside any distaste for the sporting travesty that is "International Rules", he captained his country with dignity and class. One of the very best. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Declan

Great player. Enjoy your retirement Padraic

GalwayBayBoy

A sad day for all Galway GAA fans but time stands till for no man. An unbelievable servant. Will be back later with some of my own memories of the man but HS have gathered a selection of reaction online.

QuoteIrish rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll has led the Twitter tributes to Galway legend Padraic Joyce who called time on his illustrious intercounty career last night.

O'Driscoll and a large number of Joyce's gaelic football colleagues have joined the chorus of praise for his achievements during his 14 years in the maroon and white jersey.

Here's a taste of what's being said about the great man from Killererin ...

Brian O'Driscoll (@BrianODriscoll)

A huge congrats to Págraic Joyce on a brilliant county football career. 14 years is no joke at that level!

Steven McDonnell (@Killeavy13)

Padraig Joyce calls it a day. What a player. One of the best I ever played alongside. He was pure class. #TopForward #Legend

Emmet Bolton (@EmmetBolton)

What a player Padraig Joyce was, the main man for Galway for the last 14 years, all the best to him in his retirement!

Joe Sheridan (@Squarecut84)

Best of luck to #padraigjoyce on his retirement 3rd best left foot in recent history after @colmcooper13 & #ciaranmcdonald #top3

Aidan O'Shea (@AIDOXI)

Just seen the gr8 PJ has retired. Some player one i looked upto growing up...& then managed to share the same pitch as him. #ClassAct

Paddy Bradley (@PaddyB14)

PJ retires.One of the all time greats.As sweet a left foot to ever grace a field #legend

Donie Shine (@donie_89)

All the best to Padraig Joyce on his retirement. What a player! #padraigjoyce

Conor Mortimer (@Conmort)

Padraig Joyce was always one my favourite players . Seen him play club and county for years and was always unreal to watch #topclass #joycer

Colm O'Neill (@crossbar13)

Padraig Joyce retires from inter county football. What a player.. #weaponofaleftleg #letalinfrontofgoal #oneofthebest

Colm Begley (@Begz_17)

All the best to Padraig Joyce in his retirement, exceptional player and leader who will be greatly missed by Galway. #padraigjoyce

Alan Costello (@AlanCos1)

the best compliment we could pay to the grea t#PJ on is retirement is to get him trending #genius

Anthony Masterson (@antomasterson1)

Best of luck to paraic Joyce in his retirement!! On the plus side we won't have to face him in the league this year #legend #oldschool

Colm Parkinson (@Woolberto)

All the best to Padraic Joyce in his retirement - played with him and against him... what a player

AQMP

A joy to watch in his heyday.  Like all the greats he made the game look easy.  Hope he enjoys his retirement.  Deserved a better county swansong than a defeat to Antrim.

ross4life

One of the greats and wouldn't have looked out of place in the great Kerry sides.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

yellowcard

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 29, 2012, 01:09:48 PM
A sad day for all Galway GAA fans but time stands till for no man. An unbelievable servant. Will be back later with some of my own memories of the man but HS have gathered a selection of reaction online.

QuoteIrish rugby captain Brian O'Driscoll has led the Twitter tributes to Galway legend Padraic Joyce who called time on his illustrious intercounty career last night.

O'Driscoll and a large number of Joyce's gaelic football colleagues have joined the chorus of praise for his achievements during his 14 years in the maroon and white jersey.

Here's a taste of what's being said about the great man from Killererin ...

Brian O'Driscoll (@BrianODriscoll)

A huge congrats to Págraic Joyce on a brilliant county football career. 14 years is no joke at that level!

Steven McDonnell (@Killeavy13)

Padraig Joyce calls it a day. What a player. One of the best I ever played alongside. He was pure class. #TopForward #Legend

Emmet Bolton (@EmmetBolton)

What a player Padraig Joyce was, the main man for Galway for the last 14 years, all the best to him in his retirement!

Joe Sheridan (@Squarecut84)

Best of luck to #padraigjoyce on his retirement 3rd best left foot in recent history after @colmcooper13 & #ciaranmcdonald #top3

Aidan O'Shea (@AIDOXI)

Just seen the gr8 PJ has retired. Some player one i looked upto growing up...& then managed to share the same pitch as him. #ClassAct

Paddy Bradley (@PaddyB14)

PJ retires.One of the all time greats.As sweet a left foot to ever grace a field #legend

Donie Shine (@donie_89)

All the best to Padraig Joyce on his retirement. What a player! #padraigjoyce

Conor Mortimer (@Conmort)

Padraig Joyce was always one my favourite players . Seen him play club and county for years and was always unreal to watch #topclass #joycer

Colm O'Neill (@crossbar13)

Padraig Joyce retires from inter county football. What a player.. #weaponofaleftleg #letalinfrontofgoal #oneofthebest

Colm Begley (@Begz_17)

All the best to Padraig Joyce in his retirement, exceptional player and leader who will be greatly missed by Galway. #padraigjoyce

Alan Costello (@AlanCos1)

the best compliment we could pay to the grea t#PJ on is retirement is to get him trending #genius

Anthony Masterson (@antomasterson1)

Best of luck to paraic Joyce in his retirement!! On the plus side we won't have to face him in the league this year #legend #oldschool

Colm Parkinson (@Woolberto)

All the best to Padraic Joyce in his retirement - played with him and against him... what a player

Behind Ciaran McDonald?? I presume he is taking the piss.

From the Bunker

One of those players who will be talked of in years to come when fathers and grand-fathers tell tales of Galways former glory days. Many of the new generation ( the 16 year olds and under) will not totally appreciate the class of the player, as they did not see him do his stuff at the top table. Probably the best Footballer Galway has ever produced, and believe me there have been allot of fine footballers in the Tribes County.

Although, he could probably keep going to 40. As he is smart and still skilled enough of a player to hide his loss of pace. Thought he should have packed it in a few years ago. But credit to the man for staying on, even though Galway football has declined since 2001. The easy thing to do would have been to walk away.

Despite the lack of success at the tail end of of his career, he still has the two Celtic crosses in the back pocket. Bar Kerry and Tyrone players of this recent era, there are not many that can beat of equal that achievement.

Legend