Brian Dooher Retires

Started by Tubberman, September 23, 2011, 01:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - couldn't see one on the first page anyway.

Just heard on News on One on Radio 1 that Brian Dooher has announced his retirement.

Some warrior of a player. I was at the final in 2008 and can still vividly remember that run he made along the Cusack stand side of the field before scoring the point of the Championship.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

NP 76

Just heard that myself . Some engine up and down the field from start to finish . Class act

mannix

He was a good one alright, do Tyrone have a replacement for him?  They were lucky a bunch of fellas like him arrived on the scene at the same time, remember caravan all on his own in the mid nineties.

sheamy

Quote from: mannix on September 23, 2011, 01:59:07 PM
He was a good one alright, do Tyrone have a replacement for him?  They were lucky a bunch of fellas like him arrived on the scene at the same time, remember caravan all on his own in the mid nineties.

Dooher was about for a good while along with Caravan. It was only with the addition of the young fellas that he came into his own. Fantastic man both on and off the field. A real genuine gael.

I too remember him for the best point I've ever seen in the 2008 final. I also remember him for being one of the few county players with balls to defy the threatened GPA strike of 2008. He is quoted as saying (something like), 'I'll take to the fckin pitch myself if I need to'. (Most of) the other lads followed his lead as they've always done.

I'd expect him to still be involved with the team in some way although I could be wrong.

Applesisapples

Every bit as iconic for Tyrone as Geezer was for Armagh. Scored some cracking points as well.

magpie seanie

A brilliant player who had a fine career at intercounty level. Good luck to him and thanks for the many awesome memories. The point mentioned above will stay with me forever for one.

lynchbhoy

Best of luck with the future Brian Dooher. A fantastic footballer and a nice chap too. Great Gael.

Shamrock Shore

Best wishes to Brian Dooher. A man with an engine I admired and he could score some superb points.

fitzroyalty

Class player and one that won't be replaced anytime soon. Like all Tyronies he liked a wee dive now and again but this was overshadowed by his workrate, endeavour
and commitment. Great role model and a huge loss to Tyrone GAA. 

Goats Do Shave

Jasas he's not dead lads!

I think he should have went out at the top in '08 - but it's testament to him that he obviously had more faith in that team to keep winning.

Fine player, hugely under rated outside Tyrone.

quit yo jibbajabba

yawn. ill believe it when i see it. them tyrone wans are the worst at stayin retired that ive ever seen!

jordan, oneill, mulligan. Anyone?  ;D

nrico2006

He din't score that much but most of his scores were crackers.  Loved watching him glide them over from wide right with the outside of his boot.  Had some cracker passages of play against the Dubs in the rain in 2008, never forget the one where he dummied two Dublin defenders at the same time.  I remember watching him play for Aughabrack when he was younger as my uncle was on the same team.   The 3 lasting memories I will have of him are:

1) Meath 1996 with the bandage
2) Running away with the ball like a greyhound at the final whistle of the AIF in 2003
3) Politely telling Adrian Logan that he couldn't hear him during the 2008 celebrations.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ross4life

One of Tyrone's best ever players a true inspiration for the young guys coming through.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Nally Stand

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 23, 2011, 03:55:23 PM
He din't score that much but most of his scores were crackers.  Loved watching him glide them over from wide right with the outside of his boot.  Had some cracker passages of play against the Dubs in the rain in 2008, never forget the one where he dummied two Dublin defenders at the same time.  I remember watching him play for Aughabrack when he was younger as my uncle was on the same team.   The 3 lasting memories I will have of him are:

1) Meath 1996 with the bandage
2) Running away with the ball like a greyhound at the final whistle of the AIF in 2003
3) Politely telling Adrian Logan that he couldn't hear him during the 2008 celebrations.

Forgot about that. Any footage of it online anywhere I wonder?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore