Irish Travellers arrested on slavery charges

Started by Tubberman, September 11, 2011, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

What defence will be trotted out this time? Can this be part of their culture as well?
I suppose I'm being racist now, seeing as they have their own unique ethnicity  ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at Greenacre travellers' site

It is thought some had been kept against their will for up to 15 years

Twenty-four men suspected of being held against their will have been found during a raid at a travellers' site.

Four men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of committing slavery offences in the raid at Greenacre travellers' site, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, on Sunday.

The men, who are English, Polish and Romanian, were found in "filthy and cramped" conditions, police said.

Detectives believe some may have been there for up to 15 years.

"They were told they could not leave and if they did they would be beaten up and attacked"

Those arrested are being held on suspicion of committing offences under the Slavery and Servitude Act 2010.

They are being held at police stations across Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.

Weapons, drugs and money were also found at the site, police said.

More than 200 officers were involved in the raids.
'Shockingly filthy conditions'

The men, all believed to have been victims of slavery, were taken initially to an undisclosed medical centre for treatment.
Shed at Greenacre travellers site The men were kept in appalling conditions, police said

They have been placed in the care of the local authority.

Det Ch Insp Sean O'Neil said: "The men we found at the site were in a poor state of physical health and the conditions they were living in were shockingly filthy and cramped.

"We believe that some of them had been living and working there in a state of virtual slavery, some for just a few weeks and others for up to 15 years."

He added that the men appeared to have been "recruited" from soup kitchens and benefits offices and included people with problems such as alcoholism.

He said: "They're recruited and told if you come here we'll pay you £80 a day, we'll look after you give you board and lodgings.

"But when they get here, their hair is cut off them, they're kept in in some cases [in] horseboxes, dog kennels and old caravans, made to work for no money, given very, very small amounts of food.

"That's the worse case. Some are treated a little bit better, but they were told they could not leave and if they did they would be beaten up and attacked.

"But in fact some people did leave and told us what was going on and when we looked back since 2008 we were aware of 28 people who had made similar accusations."

Police have appealed for help and ask anyone with any information to contact them in confidence.

During the operation, Bedfordshire Police were assisted by officers from the UK Human Trafficking Centre.

Police joined forces with dog handling sections, helicopter and firearms support units, to execute search warrants at the traveller site.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

4father

Look at people individually, not what they are.  The people involved are bad people, just like the thousands involved in such things across Ireland.  I'd say an awful lot of them are your bog standard next door neighbour type Irish people.

Nevertheless, you seem well chuffed with yourself.  Kinda the same way a white american racist might be if he caught a black man trying to steal his car. 

Tubberman

Quote from: 4father on September 11, 2011, 07:38:15 PM
Look at people individually, not what they are.  The people involved are bad people, just like the thousands involved in such things across Ireland. I'd say an awful lot of them are your bog standard next door neighbour type Irish people.

Nevertheless, you seem well chuffed with yourself.  Kinda the same way a white american racist might be if he caught a black man trying to steal his car.

Would you? You think an awful lot of them are in full time employment, have no criminal record and pay their taxes?

Saying it's just a few bad eggs is the standard excuse whenever another traveller story makes the headlines. There have been far too many bad egg stories for that excuse to work anymore. It's about time there were less excuses made, and more of an effort made to treat traveller's the same as 'your bog standard next door neighbour'.

I'm not chuffed with myself, it has nothing to do with me. I'm surpised, even a bit shocked, but it just goes to reinforce my impression of this 'community'. I've had many experiences with travellers, and can count the positive ones on one hand.
Don't think I could say that about any other race/nationality/social group.

4father

Quote from: 4father on September 11, 2011, 07:38:15 PM
Look at people individually, not what they are.  The people involved are bad people, just like the thousands involved in such things across Ireland. I'd say an awful lot of them are your bog standard next door neighbour type Irish people.

By them, i didn't mean travellers, i meant like the thousands of people involved in such things across Ireland being your bog standard next door neighbour type.

Quote from: Tubberman on September 11, 2011, 07:52:58 PM
Would you? You think an awful lot of them are in full time employment, have no criminal record and pay their taxes?

Saying it's just a few bad eggs is the standard excuse whenever another traveller story makes the headlines. There have been far too many bad egg stories for that excuse to work anymore. It's about time there were less excuses made, and more of an effort made to treat traveller's the same as 'your bog standard next door neighbour'.

I'm not chuffed with myself, it has nothing to do with me. I'm surpised, even a bit shocked, but it just goes to reinforce my impression of this 'community'. I've had many experiences with travellers, and can count the positive ones on one hand.
Don't think I could say that about any other race/nationality/social group.

Let's face it, you are a bigot and it's very clear that you are.  They aren't a race or a nationality you idiot, they are as Irish as you and me.  Your logic is like saying that all Germans are scum because of the Nazi's.  If one individual does something bad, then that one individual needs brought to book, not his 10 year old son or his 80 year old granny.  I live not too far away from a travelling community and have had varied experiences, the same way I live next door to a maniac Irishman and at the other side, a lovely old couple who play with their grand kids in the garden.

So do you think they are born to be horrible?  Should we burn them out or tell them to go, move, shift?

Tubberman

Quote from: 4father on September 11, 2011, 08:09:15 PM

Let's face it, you are a bigot and it's very clear that you are.  They aren't a race or a nationality you idiot, they are as Irish as you and me.  Your logic is like saying that all Germans are scum because of the Nazi's.  If one individual does something bad, then that one individual needs brought to book, not his 10 year old son or his 80 year old granny.  I live not too far away from a travelling and have had varied experiences, the same way I live next door to a maniac Irishman and at the other side, a lovely old couple who play with their grand kids in the garden.

So do you think they are born to be horrible?  Should we burn them out or tell them to go, move, shift?

I'm not a bigot, but if anyone criticises the travellers, that's the label they're given.
Neither am I an idiot - the traveller's are trying to get themselves recognised as an ethnic group. I was just making the comparison with other races and nationalities to show that I don't generally tar whole populations with the one brush - but I have had overwhelmingly negative experiences with travellers.

I definitely don't think they are born to be horrible - I think the lifestyle they live is a product of their upbringing and the easy ride they get from the authorities - social welfare, gardaí etc
And I never mentioned, nor do I support, "burning them out" or "tell them to go, move, shift". Stop putting words in my mouth and being hysterical.

I would like to see them integrated into normal society, but for that to happen a lot of things would have to change, which is probably goiing off topic.

4father

Yes attitudes like yours would need to change.

All of a Sludden

99% of travellers get the rest of them a bad name.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 11, 2011, 08:42:02 PM
Not much point in using the actions of a handful of evil c**ts in isolation to tar a large community on its own, whatever the reputation it may or may not have. A bit like using Josef Fritzl as a prime example of Austrian fatherhood.
and tarring is what they do..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

carnaross

Any significance in the timing of this action? Especially in view of the apparent public support for the residents on Dale Farm?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

ludermor

id hope you're not suggesting that police knew there was people being held as slaves and they didnt nothing about it until it was the right PR time...   ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 11, 2011, 09:37:41 PM
99% of travellers get the rest of them a bad name.

If you had 1000 of them camped next to you do you think 10 of them would be nice people?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

Where is it said they are Irish travellers? 

Evil people who carried this out.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...