Senior Hurling Club Championship 2015

Started by redsetanta, March 06, 2015, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Draw made last night.

Clogh Ballacolla v Camross the stand out draw.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Esmarelda

redsetanta, I think you need to be more specific with your thread titles.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Esmarelda

I think the word you're missing is Laois? Maybe I'm wrong.

redsetanta

We are in a Laois GAA forum! Dunno, do we put Laois into every thread then?

Esmarelda

Fair enough, but when posters/viewers open http://gaaboard.com/ they see a thread called Senior Hurling Club Championship 2015 and a similar one for football.

Without Laois it suggests it's a national thread. I'm aware now so it doesn't bother me.

redsetanta

This is a sub forum so if I want to look at or discuss GAA at a national level I will go to the main forum. If I want to check out the Offaly football championship then I will go to the Offaly forum.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

2015 Laois Hurling Championship Draws

Laois Shopping Centre 2015 Senior Hurling Championship

Ballinakill v Castletown
The Harps v Borris in Ossory Kilcotton
Camross v Clough Ballacolla
Rathdowney Errill v St Lazerians Abbeyleix

Laois Shopping Centre Laois Senior "A" Hurling Championship

St Fintans Mountrath v Ballyfin
Borris in Ossory Kilcotton v Colt
Shanahoe v Clonaslee St Manmans
Rosenallis v Portlaoise

Laois Shopping Centre Laois Intermediate Hurling Championship

Camross v The Harps
Timahoe v Clonad
Park Ratheniska v Rathdowney Errill
Trumera v Portlaoise;

Laois Shopping Centre Junior Hurling Championship

Group A - Castletown; Borris in Ossory Kilcotton; Slieve Bloom; Kyle; Clough Ballacolla;
Group B - Ballypickas; Mountmellick; The Harps; Rathdowney Errill;

Laois Shopping Centre Junior "B" Hurling Championship

Camross v Borris in Ossory Kilcotton, Winners v Colt
St Fintans Mountrath v Ballinakill
Portlaoise v Rathdowney Errill
Rosenallis v Clonad, Winners v Slieve Margy
Ballyfin v Clough Ballacolla, Winners v St Lazerians Abbeyleix

Laois Shopping Centre Junior "C" Hurling Championship

Last Nights Draw declared Void, as Mountmellick were omitted from Draw. Competition will be redrawn on next Monday evening in association with Juvenile Draws.

Laois Shopping Centre Under 21 Hurling Championship

Abbeyleix Gaels v Rathdowney Errill, Winners v St Fintans Gaels
Camross v Na Fianna, Winners v Castletown Slieve Bloom
Portlaoise v Borris in Ossory Kilcotton, Winners v Rosenallis
Clough Ballacolla v The Harps, Winners v Qualifier Round Robin Winner (Ballinakill Gaels, Clonad Park Ratheniska Timahoe, St Fintans Mountrath)

Laois Shopping Centre Minor Hurling Championship

Clough Ballacolla v Borris in Ossory Kilcotton
Abbeyleix Gaels v Castletown Slieve Bloom
Portlaoise v Harps Gaels
Rathdowney Errill v Na Fianna.

Laois Shopping Centre Minor "B" Hurling Championship​

Camross v Clonad Park Ratheniska, Winners Graiguecullen
St Fintans Mountrath v Rosenallis
Slieve Margy v St Fintans Gaels.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Hard to see anything but wins for:

Ballinakill, Borris-Kilcotton, Clough-Ballacolla and Rathdowney-Errill in the first round.

Castletown to send Abbeyleix packing.

Clough-Ballacolla to beat Rathdowney-Errill in the final.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

merman

Looking forward to this weekend and I wouldn't see any of the games being quite as clear-cut as G@@ has them. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with many of his predictions but I don't foresee any one-sided games.

First game Saturday is Borris/Kilcotton vs The Harps at 6pm
The Harps have struggled this year but will be buoyed by a good win over Rathdowney/Errill last day out. They are a dangerous outfit but are coming up against one of the definite championship favourites this weekend. They probably lack a couple of forwards and John Brophy's injury struggles are a massive loss, perhaps insurmountable. They will be very fearful of a loss as the losers section of this year's championship is fraught with danger.
B/K will have found the league frustrating as they were short 7 players due to senior county commitments as well as another 3 with the minors. They may take time to get into their stride but if they can overcome The Harps they will really relish 4 weeks of good hard training and if they put all their parts together they could be the team to beat this year. The fitness of Neil Foyle could be pivotal for their Championship hopes and it will be interesting to see how much he has in the tank Saturday evening.

The Harps to cause a few scares but I'd have to see B/K finishing stronger.
B/K by 6

At 7:30 Camross face Clough/Ballacolla
Camross will likely have been happier with this draw than CB. They have moved through to a league final after a clinical dismissal of R/E last week where I was very impressed with how they played. Zane and Palmer will be massive boosts coming back from the County and with a couple of fresh faces home from Australia they will be confident of completing a hat-trick of wins over CB.
CB for their part have a 100% record in Laois this year winning the Palmer Cup and topping the league. The switching of Mick Mac to defence looks a positive move but it may leave them short ball-winners if messrs Hyland and Maher can be shackled at the other end. It will be interesting to see if or where Lee Cleere from the Laois minors can slot into this team; he has had two seriously impressive years with the county minors.

I wouldn't back against Camross if this one goes to the wire...
Could be a Draw!

First up Sunday is the intriguing battle between Castletown and Ballinakill at 6.
Castletown finished ahead of Ballinakill in the league but one would have to think that with Cha Dwyer in such brilliant form for Laois that Ballinakill will receive the bigger boost as county players are reintegrated.
Castletown have a huge Ben Conroy-sized hole to fill in attack and a lot will be expected of Ben Reddin and minor full-back Conor Phelan who is likely to be deployed in the forwards. They will have been happy enough to have drawn Ballinakill and will feel that if they can hold Cha then they will have the nous and experience further forward to get over the line.
Ballinakill will similarly have been happy enough with the draw. Their big hope now will be that Sean Downey and James Walsh will slip seemlessly back into a system that is built around Dwyer. They are a solid team with no glaring weaknesses and should be able to match up physically with Castletown. They finished the league as second-highest scorers behind CB and if their other forwards can contribute with 8-12 points then they should progress.

Ballinakill by 4

County champions Rathdowney/Errill will look to see off Abbeyleix in the last game of the weekend.

R/E, in my opinion, start every year as the team to beat. They have the best hurler in the county in Joe Fitzpatrick and they have a lovely mix of youth and experience right throughout the team. Questions will need to be answered over the coming weeks and the losses of Ross and Darren King are considerable. Roddy had hoped to feature against Abbeyleix but I understand that will come too soon; he is likely to be back for the next round. RE struggled against Camross and have definite problems between the sticks. They had their scare against Abbeyleix last year so they should be well-warned and prepared for a battle.
My concern with Abbeyleix is that 1B might not have them prepared for the physicality and speed of senior hurling. They clocked up some comprehensive wins during the league but were soundly beaten by Portlaoise in the league final. They are a young side and such a result could be a demoralising blow. They will be confident of putting up a decent score but I don't think they carry a huge goal threat and they might just need goals to topple our champions.

R/E by 6

finbar o tool

spot on Merman, great post.
i think Camross v CB will be the game of the week end, CB will have to play to their full potential to get over Camross i think.
BK v Harps could be closer than people think but i would still go for BK just.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Jimmy P

Excellent post Merman.

Just a note re Abbeyleix. I think league form cannot be used as a form guide. Abbeyleix finished 3rd from bottom in 1A last year and should have beaten the county champions the first day. Their defeat to Portlaoise is demoralising but Portlaoise to be fair would consider themselves a top 4 senior team let alone Senior B.

I can't see Rathdowney being in too much bother against Abbeyleix but for both the Senior championships I think league form has to be discounted especially given the unavailability of county players for the majority of the league games.

Would be great to see a new team make a breakthrough someone like Ballinakill but the sheer panel sizes of Camross,Ballacolla and R/E make them the teams to beat. Relegation could be interesting. losing the first round game is massive. Abbeyleix , The Harps and Castletown will all be keen to avoid that quagmire at all costs.

In the Senior B this weekend you have Portlaoise v Rosenallis and B/K v Colt.

Portlaoise are obviously hot favourites to return to the senior ranks at the first time of asking. Rosenallis are a young side with some quality in their ranks but not enough to bother Portlaoise. Portlaoise by 10-12 for me.

Colt suffered a horrific Division 1 campaign but as said league form goes out the window now and may have had the handier draw of the 8 with B/K second string especially with BK 1st team out this weekend as well. BK had a fine win over Shanahoe in Division 2 league final and Colt will depend heavily for scores on Murray. Will be tight be I'd expect Colt to shade it.

In the last two games of the round played on the weekend of the 25th Ballyfin play Mountrath and Shanahoe play Clonaslee.

Mountrath were last years beaten finalists yet endured a torrid 1A this year losing 5 out of 6 with the only victory being over R/E second string in their final game to avoid the drop. They will depend heavily on Dan Russell again for scores and this may be their downfall as they don't seem to have many others that trouble the scoreboard. Ballyfin will be without Sean Lowry from what I hear (knee trouble) but have a couple of quality players up from Na Fiannas minor victory last year as well as George Lanham up front should do enough to keep the scoreboard ticking. Their 1A form isnt too hot either suffering a heavy defeat in the semi final to Abbeyleix but again league form will go out the window in this local derby and again I can't see much between the sides. A draw for me!

Clonaslee and Shanahoe will be a physical battle with who ever is disciplined enough to keep the free count down likely to win. Leigh Bergin scored some 15 points in the Division 2 league final with a large portion from frees so Clonaslee be warned. Darren Rooney back at 6 for Clonaslee will stiffen the spine of their defence up no end but there are talks of Will Young gone to the states and he would be a huge loss. Shanahoe to win here for me between 4 and 6.

Here is to a great club championship. Be great to hear from other posters on the other championships ie junior and intermediate. Often times these forums only concentrate on the Senior championship with little or no coverage given elsewhere. Match reports, predictions and  banter are all welcome to keep the interest in all levels of Laois hurling strong!

blueandwhite1

The league semi final win by Camross over R/E was a big kick in the arse for R/E. Camross were excellent, R/E were very poor. If the county final were to be played in July / August, R/E would be easily beaten. However, they have plenty of time to get things right and  need Ross King fit.

Again, this year looks like being another very exciting club championship. B/K, C/B, Camross and R/E are serious outfits with a great chance of winning silverware and the other 4 will also fancy themselves. To say that the weakest teams of the 8 can realistically beat the best teams says a lot about the quality of hurling in the county.

Plain of the Herbs