Pro Hurling Survey

Started by Onehandedhurler, July 31, 2015, 02:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onehandedhurler

Just wanted to get your take on this survey done by some American kid. It says almost 66% of people would support a pro league in the U.S.  Former President Liam O'Neill said that some people are afraid of the games taking off in America as they might cut relations to Dublin.  What do you guys think of this?  Is Dublin really afraid that if the games catch on overseas they'll divorce from Ireland?  If they are afraid, then why doesn't Dublin do something to keep these overseas units attached?

finbar o tool

When you say pro league, do you mean proffesional, as in, they get paid?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

deiseach

Quote from: finbar o tool on July 31, 2015, 10:42:02 PM
When you say pro league, do you mean proffesional, as in, they get paid?

If you build it, they will come.

Onehandedhurler

Yes, a professional league.  Is Croke Park afraid that the growth of the games in America will lead to professionalism? 

LCohen

Quote from: Onehandedhurler on July 31, 2015, 02:07:40 PM
Just wanted to get your take on this survey done by some American kid. It says almost 66% of people would support a pro league in the U.S.  Former President Liam O'Neill said that some people are afraid of the games taking off in America as they might cut relations to Dublin.  What do you guys think of this?  Is Dublin really afraid that if the games catch on overseas they'll divorce from Ireland?  If they are afraid, then why doesn't Dublin do something to keep these overseas units attached?
What does this mean?

66% of who? I appreciate that it is 66% of people who were asked but that is not 66% of americans - was it 66% of people at a hurling match in America?

What does "support" mean? A pro league needs players of a certain standard, a geographic spread of teams, a substantial fixture programme, big crowds, TV audiences and money, money, money. I would support the idea of a professional rugby set up in Fiji. I won't do a damn thing to contribute it. Support is meaningless if it doesn't bring about some of the requirements for success.

What does professional mean? Paid to play or fully professional (i.e. no need to do any other paid work)?

And what age was the "american kid"? Was it written in crayon?

deiseach

Quote from: Onehandedhurler on August 01, 2015, 09:44:30 AM
Yes, a professional league.  Is Croke Park afraid that the growth of the games in America will lead to professionalism?

No.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Onehandedhurler on August 01, 2015, 09:44:30 AM

Thats enough for me to oppose it then! GAA should never turn pro.

I would safely say croke park are not afraid! There IS a lot of clubs springing up across America and a lot of those are mainly by American folk, i think it will be many years before Croke Park need to worry about anything like that. Also, would croke park not have to have a say in the sport turning pro anywhere in the world?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Premier Emperor

Onehandedhurler

The survey is posted at www.americanhurlingstudy.wordpress.com/survey-results.  A few other answers from what I can glean from the site. 

Support isn't really defined.  Could be season ticket buyers to mere lipservice.

66% of "players, coaches and administrators" who I'm assuming filled out the survey. 

It was done by an American college student for what I think was a term paper, as the associated paper is pretty long.  Not in crayon on some cave wall,  I'd imagine the 20-26 age range.

Semi-professionalism or full professionalism isn't really distinguished.  The associated paper mentions semi-professionalism as a likely model should the games go that route stateside.

Onehandedhurler

Finbar, that's a good question.  Would croke park have a say?  If a company is set up in America does dublin have anysay Iin that?  I would suspect no, but I'd imagine they would make rules like what existed before wherr GAA members were barred from attending soccer game, or like rugby with the league/union split.  I'd think this would create bad blood that would last generations.  If players did get paid but the pro league folded could players rejoin theGAA?