American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Syferus you might be jumping the gun on Cousins being "fully guaranteed". Your man Andrew Brandt on Twitter, an ex- Green Bay executive and a very good follow on contracts and the business end of NFL reckons teams always have contingencies built in to contracts and as regards Cousins being fully guaranteed he tweeted "we will see".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on March 14, 2018, 12:46:39 PM
Syferus you might be jumping the gun on Cousins being "fully guaranteed". Your man Andrew Brandt on Twitter, an ex- Green Bay executive and a very good follow on contracts and the business end of NFL reckons teams always have contingencies built in to contracts and as regards Cousins being fully guaranteed he tweeted "we will see".

Either way Minder, it's significantly different to the announcement of other contracts. Generally speaking the contracts are announced as '3 year 75 million dollars, with 30 million guaranteed.' The back end is loaded and unless the player is really producing, they trade or cut them and the player never sees the remaining 45.

This case seems to be different. I've never known that word to be used and the money not to be guaranteed.

Clov

Carlos Hyde to the Browns.
Hard to evaluate Hyde - very highly rated out of college and although he looked good at times and played behind some awful o-lines he also tended to rack up a lot of his yardage in 'garbage time' (I know there was a lot of that in SF the past few years!).
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 12:50:53 PM
Quote from: Minder on March 14, 2018, 12:46:39 PM

Either way Minder, it's significantly different to the announcement of other contracts. Generally speaking the contracts are announced as '3 year 75 million dollars, with 30 million guaranteed.' The back end is loaded and unless the player is really producing, they trade or cut them and the player never sees the remaining 45.

This case seems to be different. I've never known that word to be used and the money not to be guaranteed.

Yeah it stuck out for me too, usually you ignore the first number and look at the guaranteed number. Will be interesting to see the finer detail on it. Probably making a few owners and front offices a bit nervous.

Clov

Quote from: Clov on March 14, 2018, 12:53:13 PM
Hard to evaluate Hyde - very highly rated out of college and although he looked good at times and played behind some awful o-lines he also tended to rack up a lot of his yardage in 'garbage time' (I know there was a lot of that in SF the past few years!).

I guess this means they're going with a QB at no1.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

magpie seanie

I think Carlos Hyde is an excellent player. The Browns are killing the offseason.

Syferus

Quote from: Clov on March 14, 2018, 05:50:27 PM

I don't see how Hyde effects that either way, Barkley will be there at 4 but their #1 QB may not be. He was always likely to be their top pick. Wouldn't discount Barkley being picked fourth even now. You need a good rotation at RB and if you have Hyde it would allow you to get the best from a player like Barkley.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 06:06:22 PM
Quote from: Clov on March 14, 2018, 05:50:27 PM

I don't see how Hyde effects that either way, Barkley will be there at 4 but their #1 May not be. He was always likely to be their top pick. Wouldn't discount Barkley being picked fourth even now. You need a good rotation at RB and if you have Hyde it would allow you to get the best from a player like Barkley.

Agree. I don't think this changes much. That said I wouldn't be surprised if they go Barkley at 1 especially if they aren't completely in love with one of the top 4 over another.

Minder

Joe Thomas retires, one of the best

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on March 14, 2018, 08:09:58 PM

And just when Cleveland might actually turn a corner.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 08:12:34 PM

Said his body couldn't do it anymore, I suppose he values his health above a possible 5-11 season. Seems like a very bright guy

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on March 14, 2018, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 08:12:34 PM

Said his body couldn't do it anymore, I suppose he values his health above a possible 5-11 season. Seems like a very bright guy

He has a podcast on the go for a few years. Will be picked up by Fox/CBS/ESPN.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

Biggest upset in college sports in the US. And it wasn't even close. They blew out the top ranked team in the country
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

Jesus Christ. So hard to explain the extent of just how big a shock that is. I'd imagine a fraction of a percent of brackets picked them.