Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: No1 on August 14, 2015, 12:33:11 AM
For the marathon lads here. Into week 7 of a training program. Missed last nights 10 miler, missed tonight's 7 miler and more than likely to miss the next 6 miler and this weeks long run of 17 miles. Am I fucked? Or will I be ok if if I pick it up again next Tuesday starting with a 7 mile tempo and stick rigidly to the program from then on in?

You can't catch up, so just continue with the programme paying some attention to how you feel. Cut off the longer run by 1 or 2 miles if you really need to and move onto next week. Assuming its not injury, you shouldn't have to do this but may need to go easier. They can advise after missing a week with injury to perhaps just take a steady week rather than a full week back into the programme to ensure no after affects of the injury and to get back running.

Bingo

Another week down. Decent week again. 45 miles in total but a lot more speed work involved.

Raced a local 10mile race yesterday with a 4 mile warm up. Ran it again as a guide runner for a visually impaired runner. Was a warm day on a tight enough route, lots of turns, corners, hills, bumps etc to negotiate but managed the best. Organisers let us get away before the main body of runners as was another visually impaired runner and a wheelchair competitor. We ran very steady splits and finished in decent shape. Finished in 1.08.55 which was a 10 sec PB for the runner, so was delighted with that.

Big week with 55 miles planned with 2 x 12mile runs and a 20mile on Sunday. Legs feel grand today though, so must be doing something right!

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 10, 2015, 12:48:55 AM
Did the Knocknarea 8 Mile Loop in 1:18:16 today which I'm happy with. Was aiming for something around 1:20. Should mean I'm able to complete the Warriors Run (approx. 9.3 miles) over a similar route in sun 1:40 which is number 1 running goal this year (did it in a shade under 1:47 last year but felt I could improve a decent bit). I reckon there's no need for a very long run next weekend - maybe 9/10k handy - and just keep it between the ditches midweek. Warriors is on August 22nd (Sat week). Any advice? I've a club football game next weekend which is playing on my mind. Really want to play it but is it worth it with all the work I've done (in case something goes wrong)???

Warriors run tomorrow Seanie. Did ye play the match in the end (and did ye win!).

Best of luck tomorrow anyways, hope you hit the PB from last years time and enjoy the event.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on August 21, 2015, 11:41:42 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 10, 2015, 12:48:55 AM
Did the Knocknarea 8 Mile Loop in 1:18:16 today which I'm happy with. Was aiming for something around 1:20. Should mean I'm able to complete the Warriors Run (approx. 9.3 miles) over a similar route in sun 1:40 which is number 1 running goal this year (did it in a shade under 1:47 last year but felt I could improve a decent bit). I reckon there's no need for a very long run next weekend - maybe 9/10k handy - and just keep it between the ditches midweek. Warriors is on August 22nd (Sat week). Any advice? I've a club football game next weekend which is playing on my mind. Really want to play it but is it worth it with all the work I've done (in case something goes wrong)???

Warriors run tomorrow Seanie. Did ye play the match in the end (and did ye win!).

Best of luck tomorrow anyways, hope you hit the PB from last years time and enjoy the event.

Thanks Bingo. Didn't play the match. We lost 1-5 to 1-13 so pretty sure even my undoubted brilliance wouldn't have tipped the scales in our favour. Several of the lads had "enjoyed" the Fleadh (including the night before) so it eased the guilt of putting my running first.

Nerves beginning to hit. Can't wait to get started. Just want to enjoy the last couple of hundred metres unlike last year. Fingers crossed.

laoislad

Best of luck magpie. I have the Race series 10mile myself in the Phoenix Park tomorrow.
Hoping for a good PB for myself even though I havent done a whole lot of running the past fortnight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Good luck Seanie.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Best of luck lads.

You'll be fresh anyway LL. Nice and steady at start and build into to finish strong.

Enjoy.

ballinaman

Good luck Seanie.

laoislad

11 minute improvment compared to last years time in the race series 10mile for me today.
Happy enough with that but missed out on my target time by about a minute.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on August 22, 2015, 01:10:18 PM
11 minute improvment compared to last years time in the race series 10mile for me today.
Man LL. Quality.

Milltown Row2

11 minutes improvement!! my goodness must have been walking last year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on August 22, 2015, 01:17:18 PM
Man LL. Quality.
Thanks BM. My old foe ,the hill on the upper glen road towards the finish line knocked the wind out of me again.
My pace slowed by about 2 mins per mile for the last 2 miles going up it.
Happy enough over all, looking forward to the half marathon now.

Any word from seanie?

muppet

Wow. What time did you do it in?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Last year - 1:46:57 in my first attempt. Felt I could improve considerably. Training went well, a good bit more done. Very confident of a PB and honestly expecting sub 1:40 - this is how it went down.

Start is always congested but positioned myself more towards the front than last year - reckoned it saved more energy being passed than weaving through slower runners. After a couple of k's and out of the village I was mildly concerned. I couldn't seem to get into a comfortable rhythm. Maybe I'm going too fast? Didn't think so. Farther on I passed a girl I know who'd be slower than me, but I'm not comfortable. First big test - the Glen Road. For the first time in my life going up this hill I have to stop and walk. Get going again but have to stop again. And a third time before we turn off the road into the field for the mountain. At this stage I check the watch and I'm a minute ahead of last year but feel awful. It's walking up the mountain from here but I'm struggling to keep up with the person in front. The pain in the legs is brutal. Higher up there are a few spots where you can run and I try to break into a jog but can't keep it going. Seriously thinking about packing it in. Imagining the pain that lies before me - we're not halfway yet. The sight of the cairn is a huge relief. I know a friend is there with bottles of water and I take one and sip away on the descent. Somehow I'm 2 minutes up on last year at the cairn but I'm in survival mode so don't push the descent too hard. A good boost coming back onto the raod with some mates cheering me on but not long til I'm walking again and cursing the world. Downhill to the next turn and I've struck up a chat with a fellow struggler. Lots of friends at the turn and it lifts me. Am able to drive up the next hill and I've lost my buddy. One two occasional walking breaks along the brae but when I'm running I'm moving ok. It just feels like I've not energy. Down the hill and round the corner towards the village and a sign says "pain is just weakness leaving your body"....I smile. Still having to stop every now and then but finally the last hill is behind me and it's less than 1k downhill to the finish line. I know I'm going to do a PB at this point despite everything so at least that's something. 150m from the end a guy I know pulls up beside me. "Let's push it out to the end" he says. I go with him but have to ease off, I just can't. Clench both fists and punch the air going over the line. 1:44:26. Wouldn't have taken it beforehand but in the circumstances a good effort. Never again, and I mean it this time. Absolutely shattered. Can't go for pints after. Home and bed early.

Legs aren't too bad today. I've had an extremely stressful 10 days work/career wise and that must be what sapped my energy. I know my food and hydration was fine. The training was fine. Slightly disappointed after all the work I put in but what can you do. Sometimes you hit days like that. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

magpie seanie

Well done LL also.