The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof1915

I said it before and ill say it again. When will the county board realise that parents with young lads on the team and over county teams/development squads is a complete disaster.  We need to be looking at fresh former players or people with the profile of derek mcgrath who have no club bias or agendas behind them. I know it didnt affect the game today but the last 4 years have ultimately been brutal with the talent available. The talent is there in laois but needs proper development. Not sold to the highest bidder as was the case this year.
This years manager left out 2 of the best prosects that i know off over personal squabbles or vendettas. Would that happen in any other serious hurling county.
Young stephen murphy from The harps was the best full back by a country mile in this years club championship and marked offaly danger man Luke carey off the field i believe in a leinster final for johnstown against birr earlier this year. But because he left the panel at u14 of his own accord the laois manager refused to put him on the panel this year.

The Rover

No.1to 15 Offaly put in a better performance.
our have back line could not in any 50/50 ball.
forwards persisted in trying to run trough the Offaly defense all the time.
free taking was very poor compared to Offaly.
when you come up against a team you have to win the majority of 50/50 tussles we were completely dominated all over the field
and looked like a tired team bereft of ideas and drive.
very very disappointing result for a team that went intothe championship with such high expectations.

mountrath1

It's unfair at these times to place the blame on management or players. They tried to work to a system that unfortunately needed huge time to develop and unfortunately with covid the time to develop this was hindered. My one negative value would lie with our county board. To put the development of players with quality into the hands of (leaving d McGrath out of this) coaches Dunne and Quinlan. Sorry no track record, never worked underneath someone of stature or quality to learn from. A morale victory in a shield competition 2yrs ago doesn't make them the best people to oversee these players. No strength and conditioning coach in place, nó long term development plan in place. Where is the future for these players now. The county board need to analyse there future selections better and at least make sure those in place have knowledge and a good track record

Keyser Söze

Unfair to blame management....and then....!!
Were you looking for a job Mountrath? Not good to hear that they had no S&C coach, most unusual if true?
At the same time there are S&C guys who seem to want to be involved with every team in the county at the same time, that's not good either.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

on the hop

Quote from: mountrath1 on October 17, 2020, 06:20:46 PM
It's unfair at these times to place the blame on management or players. They tried to work to a system that unfortunately needed huge time to develop and unfortunately with covid the time to develop this was hindered. My one negative value would lie with our county board. To put the development of players with quality into the hands of (leaving d McGrath out of this) coaches Dunne and Quinlan. Sorry no track record, never worked underneath someone of stature or quality to learn from. A morale victory in a shield competition 2yrs ago doesn't make them the best people to oversee these players. No strength and conditioning coach in place, nó long term development plan in place. Where is the future for these players now. The county board need to analyse there future selections better and at least make sure those in place have knowledge and a good track record

They had two listed in the programme today?

Spiritof1915

This man makes perfect sense. The laois management pulled a stroke to get the job by bringing in derek mc grath as an advisor. With Derek mcgrath it takes a couple of years (covid or no covid) to get up to speed with his system and to ask u17s to play that way is not right eitheir.
County board are not serious about laois hurling on

quote author=mountrath1 link=topic=26390.msg1999077#msg1999077 date=1602955246]
[/quote]

mountrath1

Who were they??. Keyser Iv enough on my plate at the moment lol. But been completely honest as I said in end of message, the county board need to look at themselves when hiring people to looking after the next line of hurlers tgat our county teams will be looking to in the not to decent future. Willy nilly half hearted s/c programme isn't the way forward. All we hear is the laois lads are to small, no size. Put in place a programme directed at increasing the players capability to deal with the demands of today's game is what's needed along with good coaching. There is some very good players in that squad so hopefully our county board now will look at all avenues for progression.

on the hop

The programme listed Tim Fahey and Connie Conroy as the s and c coaches.

mountrath1

Connie left that setup months ago. Tim isn't a qualified SC but his heart is in the right place regards fitness and preparation. Conor Sammon the new GDO will have a good knowledge of sports science and SC so I could see him overlook the development of the underage squads. It really is a crucial area of development that needs huge attention from 14yr and upwards in our young development squads. Coaches with up to date coaching knowledge and applications are a must sought-after person. The county board need to role out these seminars a d have all our coaches up to spec/date with new knowledge of the game as its ever evolving from a tactical to technical aspect. We need to nurture the talent we have at our disposal and really sow the seeds of development ASAP

clonadmad

When this group played Offaly at u14

What did they beat them by?

I heard 52 points of a beating

Is this true

Can anyone confirm?

Spiritof1915

Correct and right.
quote author=clonadmad link=topic=26390.msg1999281#msg1999281 date=1602976166]

Is this true

Can anyone confirm?
[/quote]

clonadmad

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on October 18, 2020, 08:41:36 AM
Correct and right.
quote author=clonadmad link=topic=26390.msg1999281#msg1999281 date=1602976166]

Is this true

Can anyone confirm?
[/quote]

So a 64 point turnaround in the space of 3 years!!!!!

Any serious hurling county

Management would be lynched and there would be a full scale inquiry as to how this was allowed happen with learnings applied for the future

But this is Laois where indifference reigns

Giovanni

Offaly must have had good strength and conditioning in the meantime

Keyser Söze

Probably unhelpful at this stage. CB were never going to turn down what was put before them, particularly when it was not going to cost them anything more than other years. Had they done so, and the same result played out yesterday, it would probably be all over social media that they had turned down D McGrath and look what happened.
There's an element of insider trading to the above too. You could question the objectivity and actions of an individual in a prominent CB position.

Eitherways, it's unlikely this management would have wished to stay on no matter how the year went, and probably impossible to do so now. It's akin to a club set up where a group of parents follow a strong team up the line and then step aside.

On the other side of the coin, there is still potential in the players that we knew had it before yesterday. One swallow doesn't make a summer, one bad or good performance doesn't define a young hurler.
As Mountrath says, how we handle them over the next 3 years is vital, but a lot of this will come down to their clubs. Accessing them centrally in this void between 17 & U20 is extremely difficult.
With the facilities that exist at the COE & the ability of Laois GAA to centralise S&C conditioning something can be done.
Would the players & clubs buy into committing to regular blocks of work together at specified times over the next two years? With individual programmes (taking account of loading from other commitments) in between these blocks.  So that whoever is Laois U20 manager in 2023 has access to a pool of suitably strong, athletic and mobile players in December 2022. A group fit to train and spending time on developing a system of play, rather than a group training to get fit.
Is this even possible? The same players will be pulled between club, school, college & county u20 during that time as it stands.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

finbar o tool

There is a fully functioning S&C/Athletic development program in place for all development squads now, up and running for the last 2 years, granted we are at least 10 years behind a lot of other counties in this regard but it is now up and running. And we also now have a fantastic gym in CoE to facilitate this. I know the U20s and the minors last year did plenty of gym work with a qualified S&C coach. Can't comment on this year's minors but it seems that wasn't the case.
Also lest we forget there was major disruption to preperations this year, but, you can say the same for offaly I guess! But what I've heard is that players and parents were very happy with the set up and the support players received during the summer lockdown.
I have no doubt this was led by McGrath, but I was surprised at how poor the decision making and skill execution was yesterday considering McGrath was involved for a fair bit of the year. Also surprised at the tactics and don't know who to place blame on for that. They played into Offalys hands.
Also it would have been very easy motivate Offaly yesterday. Think the goalie or someone else should have taken the penalty, if that had of gone in we could have turned it around and it may have ended differently. Instead Offaly were buoyed by the save and kicked on from there. We also missed 2 good goal chances in the first half. Small margins and fine lines.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy