NFL Division 2 2011

Started by Jinxy, January 31, 2011, 11:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

In a lot of ways, it's actually better than division 1.
Discuss.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Good ol Division 2

Almost as sought after as the bihatimber
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on January 31, 2011, 11:44:56 PM
In a lot of ways, it's actually better than division 1.
Discuss.
You can still get promoted.

SLIGONIAN

Glad to be joining ye, looking forward to it.

Despite the usual shite talk from charlie in the papers on about promotion for Sligo, its totally inrealistic imo, staying up is a must. Anyone familiar with Sligos back to back promotions alot of it had to do with luck.

I dare say whoever loses between us and Donegal on Sat will be relegated so big game, we have Meath away and tyrone at home next 2 so i cant seeing getting much change there tbh.

We have problems to be sorted in some certain important positions, if we stay up and sort out these positions during the league aswell i will be well satisfied.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Jinxy

Welcome to division 2 Sligonian.
We're all great pals here.
Not like that mean old division 1.

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 31, 2011, 11:52:50 PM
Good ol Division 2

Almost as sought after as the bihatimber

If we could win division 2 it would be some small consolation for last Saturday.

thejuice

Well Colm reckons Meath or anyone for that matter cannot win the All-Ireland if they play in any division other than 1. SOOoooo I guess we should probably try and get there then. No harm in trying is all I'm saying.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: thejuice on February 01, 2011, 12:32:10 AM
Well Colm reckons Meath or anyone for that matter cannot win the All-Ireland if they play in any division other than 1. SOOoooo I guess we should probably try and get there then. No harm in trying is all I'm saying.
Thats rubbish from colm, Down were in div2 last yr, kildare are still there and both were in AI semis and Final. This is the same re run of shite talk we hear every yr. Tyrone ffs some team to have in Div2.... it would be stupid to write them off for the AI.

There will be suprise packets in the summer like every other yr, some teams will confirm league form is relevant, and some other teams will blow that logic apart like roscommon, louth and mayo for other reasons last yr to name a few.

Its an exciting league for me, some great teams and games to look forward to, I reckon we'll stay up just with donegal, antrim or laois heading down.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

never kickt a ball

Hello................ Anybody here...............Right Pascal, Ricey, Hub, Sean, Philly, Davy.........follow me

Hardy

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2011, 12:27:15 AM
Welcome to division 2 Sligonian.
We're all great pals here.
Not like that mean old division 1.

I think we're hero members of Division 2. Welcome to all the newbies.

Gold

To stay up would be class.

Big game at home to Kildare on sunday--home wins are a must.

All in all though unreal to be in Div 2 --some change from the disaster of 08 when 1 point from last 2 games away in Ardfinnan to Tipp and home to Waterford would have seen us finally out of Div 4--i thought those 2 defeats would set us back and swore i'd never go to another game

But the last 2 yrs have been class--importand not to do a Tipp last yr or Fermanagh the year before and get relegated in 1st season
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Donnellys Hollow

Promotion:

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/nfl-division-2/winner

Relegation:

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/nfl-division-2/relegation

Can't have Kildare as second favs for this. McGeeney doesn't appear to have taken the league too seriously in his three years in charge so I'd be surprised if this year was any different.

We're missing plenty of our better players at the moment - Dermot Earley and Peter Kelly will not play any football this spring and it's unlikely Mikey Conway will feature either. Andy McLoughlin, Morgan O'Flaherty and Gary White will miss the first few rounds at least and Daryl Flynn is suspended until March. Johnny Doyle is only coming back now after an injury so he might not start this weekend. I think James Kavanagh went back to Australia after Ballymore's defeat at the weekend so I presume he won't be home again for a few weeks.

I think we'll struggle without our starting midfield and both our first choice corner-backs. We do have 4 home games for the first time in a good few years though so I'd expect Kildare to finish mid-table again.

I think Meath and Derry will be the teams to beat. McEnaney always seemed to have Monaghan well primed for the league so I'd expect Meath to go well. Traditionally Derry have always performed well at this time of year and they look to be in good shape going on their McKenna Cup results. It's hard to know where Tyrone stand. They've obviously had a very difficult time of things over the last month but you'd expect them to come back as strong and unified as ever. You have to wonder how seriously they'll take the league though with so many of their big names having plenty of miles on the clock. I think a lot of them will be saving themselves for the summer.

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare team v Antrim:

1. Shane Connolly (Naomh Lorcan)
2. Hugh McGrillen (Cill Droichid)
3. Mick Foley (Áth Í)
4. Ciarán Fitzpatrick (Cill Chóca)
5. David Whyte (Achadh Mordha)
6. Mark Scanlon (Na Cloigthithe)
7. Emmet Bolton (Baile Éide)
8. Hugh Lynch (Confaigh)
9. Pádraig O'Neill (Naomh Lorcan)
10. Éamonn Callaghan (Nás na Roigh)
11. Eoghan O'Flaherty (Cairbre)
12. Tommy Moolick (Léim an Bhradáin)
13. Karl Ennis (Má Nuad)
14. Willie Heffernan (An Urnaí)
15. Alan Smith (Na Sairséalaigh)

Can't see that fifteen lining out. Ciarán Fitzpatrick is supposed to have a broken hand. I'd say there'll be one or two changes in the forward line too.

Dinny Breen

No chance of that team playing. Agree with your assessment, 4 wins will be a good return and should ensure Division 2 status.

I actually think Newbridge is a handicapp for Kildare, small tight grounds don't suit our style of football at all, plus it's a sh*thole (our sh*thole I know)...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Newbridge should have been levelled about forty years ago - asbestos roofed stand, iron bars blocking your view of the pitch, a terrace that suddenly ends at the twenty one yard line, dressing rooms that you couldn't swing a cat inside, the state of the jacks!

Still though, the old girl can generate a great atmosphere. Looking forward to the Meath and Laois matches. I can't remember the last time we played Meath at home in the league.