2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Parisse MOTM.

Player of the tournament for me. Unless O'Driscoll leads us to the Slam.
MWWSI 2017

AFS

Big win later today will probably sew up the championship.

18 point lead the minute, what do yous reckon that'd need to be pushed out to in order to make things relatively safe?

ziggysego

15mins

Scotland 6 - Ireland 3
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

20mins

Scotland 9 - Ireland 3
Testing Accessibility

maggie

Ireland would need to tighten up.

unforgiven

I think Kaplan is going blow Ireland off the pitch.  He's given Scotland a few handy penalties already.

Carmen Stateside

Oraisteach

RTE Radio 1 is carrying the game

unforgiven

stringer you little legend!

Capt Pat

Stringer got man of the match, hopefully Kidney won't buy into that and bring O'Leary back in for Cardiff as he is the better player imho. Stringer got the break for the try when half the pitch opened up in front of him after some consistent Irish pressure but O'Leary still does that type of thing a lot better. Overall a solid performance from the team today and not too big a win to get us over confident going into the Cardiff match. I don't know whether we are good  enough to win that game or whether the Welsh will raise their performance levels as they seem to be running out of steam after good form in the Autumn internationals and at the start of the 6 nations. It is in Cardiff where we are usually second to none and all the cards seem to be falling into place. So retain Darcy in the team and bring back Heaslip Flannery and O'Leary and I will go for ireland by 3 poiints.

5 Sams

Despite the talk about BOD, ROG and POC...I thought Ferris was magnificent...unsung hero in my opinion....and has been deadly all year.....monster of a man driving forward.
The Aristocrat Years

Hound

Personally would have given POC man of the match, very close call with BOD. But as said Ferris has been playing really well too. Thought Heaslip was excellent during his time on the pitch. Leamy's a tough nut but not in Heaslip's class. Leamy is not a top class international 8, possibly a 6, but not ahead of Ferris.

I thought Stringer was poor in the 1st half but good in the 2nd. Did exceptionally well for the try but was blessed not to give away one when his kick was blocked down yards from the line.

Really looking forward to Cardiff next week.

muppet

Yeeeeeeeesssssssss!

A win in Murrayfield is a win. Take it and run.

15. good solid game from Kearney, one pass not taken from D'Arcy when something seemed on but otherwise good game. Surprised to see him taken off 7 points up. Lee Byrne still ahead for the Lions but the gap closed today.

14. Solid if unspectacular. Little chance to shine but gained ground on Leigh Halfpenny and may now be ahead of him for the Lions.

13. Another awesome display. Certain starter in SA and probable skipper.

12. I feel sorry for Paddy Wallace as he did nothing wrong but D'Arcy is back, is younger and will hold his place.

11. Good game, little chance to shine but still looked very dangerous.

10. Back to normal, how much of that was Stringer? One missed kick but otherwise a good game.

9. I though he was fine in a bruising forward 1st half. 2nd half he was brilliant (blockdown aside) and I can't believe he was taken off. We ran out of fizz the second he left.

8. Off his game completely. Heaslip will start next week and will go on the Lions.

7. Great game. Pinged a couple of times by a fussy ref in the first half but showed up everywhere including catching the Scottish wing from behind and pulling him off his (not fast enough) legs. The Scottish 10 thought he had hit him hard until he got up seeing Wallace 20 yards behind him.

6. A phenomenon. Will start in SA.

5. Fantastic performance as we have come to expect. He will kill VereWynn Jones next week, thankfully.

4. Great behind the scenes game. He only shows up in the stats these days normally but his early 2nd half lineout steals caught the eye also. Will go to SA.

3. Bolshy ref. Rock on Bull.

2. Good game except for 1 crooked throw (I think). He will start in Cardiff.

1. Did well on You-an, Iaian, Ewean..............fat Scottish prop.
MWWSI 2017

maggie

ONeill

Did anyone read Stuart Barnes' article in today's Sunday Times. He pens a scathing enough article on Ireland and their style of play, intimating that they're making a hames of winning the GS in a year when everyone else is crap. He finishes by saying there'll be nothing grand about the Grand Slam if Ireland win it.

What is curious is that they have a watered down version online - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/stuart_barnes/article5908570.ece

They've taken many of the controversial/strong comments out. I wonder why that is.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.