Punchestown Festival

Started by doire na raithe, March 28, 2008, 11:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doire na raithe

Me and a few are thinking of heading down to the festival for a days craic and rip. Does anyone know would you need to buy the tickets early or does it generally not sell out? Also is it worth buying the €40 tickets instead of €30 ones?

And if anyone lives in that direction can they tell me if there is regular buses from Naas to the racecourse?

Louth Exile

I have been to punchestown every year for the last nine, usually for two days. There is no needed to pre book tickets, the only chance of any of the days selling out is the Friday and it would have to be absolutely brilliant weather and our top hurdlers would have the wind in their sails to attract a bit of interest (which is not the case at the moment). Plus with the Saturday now being part of the festival it will be interesting to see how this affects it. We had great weather on the Friday last year and a great card and it still didn't sell out. The only possible benefit of pre booking is that if there is enough of you that you get a discount for group booking (but what always happens here is that some lad lets you down and you are out of pocket)

In some race tracks there can be benefit in buying the reserve enclosure tickets (Leoparstown eg.) but if it is a bunch of lads going down to enjoy the racing and have a few pints there is absolutely no benefit buying reserve enclosure tickets in punchestown. If you are going down to drink lashings of champagne and all that then buy reserve enclosure!

Buses can be tricky in my experience, you will get a taxi out alright, but you may need to blag your way onto a minibus on the way back!

Naas is one of the most underated towns in Ireland for a night of craic, a number of good pubs where you can enjoy drinks after racing! What day(s) are you going??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

doire na raithe

We were thinking of heading on the wednesday to facilitate visiting the fine establishment in Belfast that nite, the Botanic Inn. Was currently thinking of getting train down from Belfast to dublin then bus from Dublin to Naas but just from looking about there doesn't seem to be much public transport from Naas to Punchestown, or for anywhere to Punchestown for that matter. I know at the Oxegen festival they constantly run a free bus in and out of Naas.

Louth Exile

There is a bus direct from Busaras to the racecourse (or there used to be anyway). Best job for yourself, given that simply get off in Conolly and walk across to Busaras, Bus straight to the course! Bobs your uncle

One warning on this though, the bus will leave the track bang on time after racing! Three of us travelled down from Dublin one year on this bus and missed the one back! ended up walking into Naas on a fine summer evening and enjoying a couple of the Naas pubs before getting the last bus back to Dublin  :)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

doire na raithe

will bare this in mind thanks for the advice!

Rav67

Quote from: doire na raithe on March 28, 2008, 01:40:46 PM
We were thinking of heading on the wednesday to facilitate visiting the fine establishment in Belfast that nite, the Botanic Inn.

Is that the new place up past Queen's? What's it like?

doire na raithe

Its good enough spot only been in it once since it opened, very modern and seems to be trying to gather in the student crowd. you heard of it alright? its just opposite the eg.

Our Nail Loney

That sounds like a good day out doire, might join ya!

Louth Exile

Festival preview on TV3 this Friday at 11.40 (repeated at 10am the next morning)

Their Cheltenham preview was very well put together and this one might also be worth a watch