The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

BBC's deferred coverage of Down v Armagh was good. The post match on-pitch chat between Oisin, Mark and Marty was entertaining.
The commentator's gaffes during the game just add to the enjoyment. McHugh? what can you say?  he's unique, the lack of coordination between thought, language, expression and time, is endearing.

Despite the sunday game going into extra time, BBC still rendered a full highlights edition of the Cavan Monaghan game.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Main Street on May 20, 2019, 08:10:19 PM
BBC's deferred coverage of Down v Armagh was good. The post match on-pitch chat between Oisin, Mark and Marty was entertaining.
The commentator's gaffes during the game just add to the enjoyment. McHugh? what can you say?  he's unique, the lack of coordination between thought, language, expression and time, is endearing.

Despite the sunday game going into extra time, BBC still rendered a full highlights edition of the Cavan Monaghan game.

If RTE matched the coverage of BBC they wouldn't get half the criticism they get and give me Mr McHugh over Joe attention seeking Brolly any day.

From the Bunker

Do people still watch the Sunday Game?

imtommygunn

On fast forward. Tg4 Monday show possibly better!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Itchy on May 20, 2019, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 20, 2019, 12:27:59 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2019, 12:06:01 PM
The "analysis" of the Sligo v Galway game last night was tremendous. Sean Cavanagh basically had a whinge about structures for 2 minutes and then Des goes "and now moving on". I didn't expect them to say much about the game as it probably didn't deserve more than a couple of minutes but at least make some kind of half hearted effort. All the other games got it but this one was just brushed aside.
Brolly did the same last week for Leitrim v Roscommon
Seems the Ulster boys are quite condescending towards connacht teams

And Cavan haven't exactly been overly competitive in Ulster for 3 decades. (97 excepted)

Check your facts then. Maybe it is your own county you are thinking of regarding not being competitive for decades?
What facts?
Cavan haven't won an Ulster in 22 years and before that it was 28 years
So that's 50 years and one title

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 20, 2019, 10:07:16 PM
The "analysis" of the Sligo v Galway game last night was tremendous. Sean Cavanagh basically had a whinge about structures for 2 minutes and then Des goes "and now moving on". I didn't expect them to say much about the game as it probably didn't deserve more than a couple of minutes but at least make some kind of half hearted effort. All the other games got it but this one was just brushed aside.

And Cavan haven't exactly been overly competitive in Ulster for 3 decades. (97 excepted)

Check your facts then. Maybe it is your own county you are thinking of regarding not being competitive for decades?
What facts?

Interestingly, in that time Down have only won 5, Monaghan 5 and Derry 6.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: BennyCake on May 20, 2019, 10:37:39 PM

What facts?

And the wait for an Ulster for two of those is stretching on much longer than either might have ever imagined.

BennyCake

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 20, 2019, 10:47:42 PM

What facts?

And the wait for an Ulster for two of those is stretching on much longer than either might have ever imagined.

Yeah, our wait of 17 years seemed like a lifetime when we finally won in 1999. Now it doesn't seem so bad compared to Derry and Down's wait.

Antrim Coaster

Thomas Niblock's commentary was refreshing and a damn sight better than Ger 'Bollix' Canning who couldn't commentate on a pillow fight.

The Sunday Game needs an overhaul - more action and less talk.

Why spend the guts of an hour yapping about 2 live matches that were shown a few hours previously and show longer highlights of the matches that weren't shown live.

Time to jettison the attention seeking Brolly and Spillane combination and get shot of Canning at the same time.

The best RTE football pundit I thought was Anthony Tohill and they didn't keep him in the seat for too long for some reason.

Keyser soze

EVERY time a player gets a goal Ger intones 'his **th ever championship goal'!! Wtaf. 

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on May 21, 2019, 02:37:15 PM

Thomas Niblock's commentary was refreshing and a damn sight better than Ger 'Bollix' Canning who couldn't commentate on a pillow fight.

The Sunday Game needs an overhaul - more action and less talk.

Why spend the guts of an hour yapping about 2 live matches that were shown a few hours previously and show longer highlights of the matches that weren't shown live.

Time to jettison the attention seeking Brolly and Spillane combination and get shot of Canning at the same time.

The best RTE football pundit I thought was Anthony Tohill and they didn't keep him in the seat for too long for some reason.

Cause big Tohill said it as it was and it didn't go down to well
A lot of people don't like the truth
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bennydorano

Quote from: BennyCake on May 20, 2019, 10:55:12 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 20, 2019, 10:47:42 PM

What facts?

Yeah, our wait of 17 years seemed like a lifetime when we finally won in 1999. Now it doesn't seem so bad compared to Derry and Down's wait.
Hard to believe it's 11 years since our last, doesn't be long going by. The USFC could be gone as we know it by the time 17 years comes round again. I wouldn't like too much money riding on Armagh winning an USFC in the next 6 years either come to think of it.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 21, 2019, 03:19:27 PM
EVERY time a player gets a goal Ger intones 'his **th ever championship goal'!! Wtaf.
Either that or he'll tell you how many minutes are gone, or indeed both. He does love saying "ever" a lot for some reason. Though I still find Morrissey more of a pain though, Canning mightn't be great to listen but all the same he seems not too determined to make the major moments about him, Morrissey came out with one seemingly well-received monologue before a hurling final a few years ago and seems insistent and trying to emulate that year after year, the numerous Dolores O'Riordan references in last year's hurling final were cringeworthy beyond belief.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 21, 2019, 04:43:53 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 21, 2019, 03:19:27 PM
Either that or he'll tell you how many minutes are gone, or indeed both. He does love saying "ever" a lot for some reason. Though I still find Morrissey more of a pain though, Canning mightn't be great to listen but all the same he seems not too determined to make the major moments about him, Morrissey came out with one seemingly well-received monologue before a hurling final a few years ago and seems insistent and trying to emulate that year after year, the numerous Dolores O'Riordan references in last year's hurling final were cringeworthy beyond belief.

Did you have to, did you have to, did you have to let it "linger on" until the end of your post? I fully agree with you about Morrissey. They sure love their football in (insert county) annoys the hell out of me too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jayop

Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2019, 04:05:47 PM
Hard to believe it's 11 years since our last, doesn't be long going by. The USFC could be gone as we know it by the time 17 years comes round again. I wouldn't like too much money riding on Armagh winning an USFC in the next 6 years either come to think of it.

Funny I wouldn't bet against any of the top 7 Ulster counties picking up an Ulster title in the next 5 years. All it would take is tor the draw to take out either Tyrone or Donegal and preferably for them Monaghan and they beat each other to get to a final.  I think within a few years anything can change to allow Down, Derry, Cavan, Armagh to beat one of the other three in a final. A few of them seem to be heading in an upward trajectory at the moment so I'm hoping that Ulster will remain competitive and become even more so in the years to come. Fermanagh and Antrim I think it's just too much of an ask to see them competing for a few years but fair play to Fermanagh for last year!