Jack McCarron

Started by Rawhide, January 27, 2023, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Silver hill on January 29, 2023, 02:46:46 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 29, 2023, 02:01:38 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on January 28, 2023, 11:57:21 PM
An absolute disgrace. Hang your heads Scotstown and Mccarroll for instigating it. The absolute sacrosanct core of the GAA is that you play for the place you are from. If that disintegrates., it's a slippery slope.

Wise up

Come on ....surely you have a more detailed opinion than that, let's hear it?
It's blatantly obvious that it's not the sacrosanct core of the GAA to play for the team where you are from.
The criteria for transferring clubs is in the Monaghan bylaws, Those  bylaws have to be approved by Croke Park.  You could do research and examine the Dublin senior clubs and find out just how many of the players did not grow up in that immediate locality.

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 29, 2023, 09:34:08 PM
Disgraceful behaviour.

He should have chosen the much more noble and acceptable option of managing Scotstown to the county championship for monetary reward.
Playing is different to managing. It's extremely difficult to get a club man to manage their own club!

tonto1888

An absolute disgrace. Hang your heads Scotstown and Mccarroll for instigating it. The absolute sacrosanct core of the GAA is that you play for the place you are from. If that disintegrates., it's a slippery slope.

Wise up

The GAA needs to move with the times. People will transfer clubs.

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 30, 2023, 08:04:42 AM

Wise up

No it doesn't and they shouldn't unless they've genuinely moved too far away to travel home!

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 08:48:19 AM

Wise up

No it doesn't and they shouldn't unless they've genuinely moved too far away to travel home!

The GAA doesn't need to move with the times? What a load of crap. We live in a different world now. People will transfer clubs and while some people may find this distasteful, indeed I would find it quite irritating, but it is a fact of life, people dont have the same attachment anymore, and the GAA needs to accept that.

Cavan19

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 30, 2023, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 08:48:19 AM

Wise up

The GAA doesn't need to move with the times? What a load of crap. We live in a different world now. People will transfer clubs and while some people may find this distasteful, indeed I would find it quite irritating, but it is a fact of life, people dont have the same attachment anymore, and the GAA needs to accept that.

It that's the road that thinks are heading there wont be a decent player left on any Junior side in the country.

Ethan Tremblay

From reading through the thread, the impression I am getting is that other players don't seem to bother with the club, ie if they are having to round up players for championship as is being suggested, you can only imagine how many are turning up to train during the week or how many other are putting in the work to better the team. 

I would imagine if McCarron had the same attitude of turning up when it suited him to the club, the community would think he has some ego.  In the scenario he is turning up to games and they barely have 15, you can only imagine how discouraging this can be, especially over time, thinking things might change. 

Would anyone here accept low standards for the sake of saving face in the community?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 30, 2023, 10:40:59 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 29, 2023, 09:43:42 PM
Disgraceful behaviour.

He should have chosen the much more noble and acceptable option of managing Scotstown to the county championship for monetary reward.
Playing is different to managing. It's extremely difficult to get a club man to manage their own club!
That's very true and I suppose we are just lucky that the stars align in such a way that the clubs who cannot afford to pay an outsider just so happen to be the ones who can find an internal candidate year after year after year.

You are also correct in saying that changing clubs as a player is different to changing clubs as a manager for financial reward.
I mean, a glaringly obvious difference is that one is against the rules of the association and the other one isn't.
Is there many clubs managed by a club man these days? Bar Cross I can't think of too many in Armagh. McConville at  St Pauls last year I think?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 30, 2023, 10:56:45 AM
Disgraceful behaviour.

That's very true and I suppose we are just lucky that the stars align in such a way that the clubs who cannot afford to pay an outsider just so happen to be the ones who can find an internal candidate year after year after year.

You are also correct in saying that changing clubs as a player is different to changing clubs as a manager for financial reward.
I mean, a glaringly obvious difference is that one is against the rules of the association and the other one isn't.
Is there many clubs managed by a club man these days? Bar Cross I can't think of too many in Armagh. McConville at  St Pauls last year I think?

We had an outsider once. Never again (if I have my way).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tonto1888

Disgraceful behaviour.

Clann Eireann

Milltown Row2

Disgraceful behaviour.

He'll not see that though as a problem, we are though in a mess when looking for internal managers, some clubs will never look outside their own, some are lucky that they have the tools within their club to have progression from juvenile through to senior..

Players nowadays are always looking something extra, someone different, and that's why we have that circuit going on. Our biggest wins were with ex players, albeit one came to us from another club and played for 8/9 years but he wasn't an outsider as such.

That horse has bolted with regards ensuring clubs adhere to the rules
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 30, 2023, 12:01:23 PM
I get that. It's an accepted breach of the rules in the modern game.

Yet, on the other hand we have a proverbial pissing of pants at the thought of a player transferring club which is entirely legitimate in the rules of the GAA.

It takes some mental gymnastics to square that circle.

In next week's episode......"we couldn't get a free taker in the club so we bought one in."
I hate the idea of outsider managers coming in and would ban it if I could but the horse has bolted imo.

general_lee

Nothing wrong with outside managers. Completely different to players.

Dreadnought

Seems to be a lot here who have no idea what it's like to have ties to more than one club. Fair enough if it's just the one for you, all the power to you, but many of us have one or both parents from somewhere else. You may have grown up going to club games for more than one club, some might go to more than one county. Very rich to assume you know what is in a fellas head about what means home to him when he has likely been between both their whole life.

For McCarron, his family is steeped in Scotstown, through his Dad and Grandfather. He's moving to live in the area by all accounts. This is as cut and dry a case as you'll see and is something we just need to deal with. It's ok for someone to have a tie to another club and move there. Just because you might not understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2023, 11:00:59 AM
Disgraceful behaviour.

We had an outsider once. Never again (if I have my way).

Would ye not take DB after his stint down in Ratoath?
Hasta la victoria siempre