Jack McCarron

Started by Rawhide, January 27, 2023, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

So is he actually living in Tyrone? How many clubs does he drive past to get to Scotstown?

Tatler Jack

The proper name of the club I see is Currin Sons of Saint Patrick! Are their ladies team "Daughters of Saint Patrick" ? I also see it is a very old club going right back to the founding of the GAA.

Maybe the deep history does not cut any ice with Jack.

Wildweasel74

I see he's down as his old club on the team sheet, if there a objection in about his transfer. I presume he still no issue with him playing for Monaghan?

Under Lights

Jacks current team are an absolute pub team, ringing around to round up a squad ahead of the championship, he has wasted his best years there

Silver hill

An absolute disgrace. Hang your heads Scotstown and Mccarroll for instigating it. The absolute sacrosanct core of the GAA is that you play for the place you are from. If that disintegrates., it's a slippery slope.

Silver hill

clarshack

He must be 30+ now, it's not like he's leaving at 21 or 22 which would have been much worse for Currin. Gave his best years to his home club. It's obviously one last throw of the dice to win a senior club championship in Monaghan and maybe beyond.

Silver hill

Even if he did win a championship with Scotstown, what real joy would he experience winning it with players he didn't grow up with. I don't get this chasing championships for individual gain.
Look at The Clifford's and what it meant to them to win with your home club. As with Shane Walsh, he's going to become a pariah amongst his own people for the rest of his life....is that really worth a championship medal with a super club?

Armagh18

Quote from: Silver hill on January 29, 2023, 10:43:59 AM
Even if he did win a championship with Scotstown, what real joy would he experience winning it with players he didn't grow up with. I don't get this chasing championships for individual gain.
Look at The Clifford's and what it meant to them to win with your home club. As with Shane Walsh, he's going to become a pariah amongst his own people for the rest of his life....is that really worth a championship medal with a super club?
Personally wouldn't mean anything to me, be different if you moved across the country snd actually were part of the new club/community.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Silver hill on January 28, 2023, 11:57:21 PM
An absolute disgrace. Hang your heads Scotstown and Mccarroll for instigating it. The absolute sacrosanct core of the GAA is that you play for the place you are from. If that disintegrates., it's a slippery slope.

I have an older relative who played intercounty years back and he was playing with a small rural team.
He was approached a couple of times by different clubs with a view to transferring (he was living away from his home place and the logistics would definitely have been easier for a good few years)
Almost 50 years later and it's still remembered by folk in his club that he stuck with them.
Been to games and other stuff with him over the years and it's noteable how often the older heads in the club have mentioned it to me.
Was at the opening of their new pitch a few years back and one old codger was going on about how he stuck with them when they "barely had a ball never mind a pitch"
He was their only senior intercounty for a good long period of years and you could see it was massive for the club that he had stuck with them.

Armagh18

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 29, 2023, 11:40:56 AM

I have an older relative who played intercounty years back and he was playing with a small rural team.
He was approached a couple of times by different clubs with a view to transferring (he was living away from his home place and the logistics would definitely have been easier for a good few years)
Almost 50 years later and it's still remembered by folk in his club that he stuck with them.
Been to games and other stuff with him over the years and it's noteable how often the older heads in the club have mentioned it to me.
Was at the opening of their new pitch a few years back and one old codger was going on about how he stuck with them when they "barely had a ball never mind a pitch"
He was their only senior intercounty for a good long period of years and you could see it was massive for the club that he had stuck with them.
Thats what the GAA is about.

thewobbler

You're right in one way Armagh18.

But if a lad in his early thirties doesn't have an underlying emotional relationship with his club, then surely it shouldn't be forced upon him?

tonto1888

Wise up

JimStynes

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 29, 2023, 02:01:38 PM

Wise up

He's not wrong. It is the core of the GAA. 

Silver hill

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 29, 2023, 02:01:38 PM

Wise up

Come on ....surely you have a more detailed opinion than that, let's hear it?