Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 06, 2008, 09:55:21 AM
Did anyone see the incident that happened at the end of the game? From reports I hear it was a disgusting act and action should be taken.

Congrats to Harps and Curry. Both were probably the favourites from the outset and justified that. Would have loved to see how we would have fared but we'll have to wait until next year. 2008 will be remembered in our club at the year of the semi final defeat. U-16, minor and senior championship semi finals lost.

No didnt see it. What happened?

David Maye scored 3-3 for curry. This lad is unbelievable. Is it true that he is minor again next yr? Imagine having him and johnny kelly and then the fr manning winning u16s to come through to sligo minors next yr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

David Maye is minor again next year from what I'm told.

I don't know for definite what happened - I only heard from someone so I'd like someone else to mention it first. It involved a county player.

SLIGONIAN

Lads any word on the new Sligo Manager? Seems ridiculously quiet. Any Updates would be appreciated.

Sligoper

All is quiet on the manager front.
Go on the Bunnies!

Owenmoresider

We'll be the last to know on the manager front anyway. God save us from Luke.

Well the right team won yesterday, Harps have been the form team all year, handled the biggest test of their mettle from Curry in the semis, albeit just about, and yesterday delivered the goods when it mattered most. The suggestion that it was too early for Tubber may be true, they had no answer when Harps went at them in the last 15-20 mins. Indeed Coolera would have posed a sterner test to Harps IMO, and I think they would adknowledge that too. Both Taylors had fine games, with Paul once again leading the line, kicked a few sweet points too, Tony chpped in with three also, and showed that Gilmartin has a long, long way to go before he can be described as county material. McGee was quiet as the game wore on, kicked two points IIRC, one clinker from a good distance out, but got a shot from Phillips early on, put manners on him. Some bad misses from frees didn't help Tubber's cause either. Curran was very involved in the first half, but Rafferty did lots of damage in the second, close enough to MOTM for me. The other forwards like Doddy and Cryan can be inconsistent but did take their chances in the second half when they came. O'Grady was quiet, and hasn't shown any of the form he had been showing earlier in the year and last. The Harps backline did a fine job, barring a shaky period midway through the first half, when Tubber were cutting through them, and the gift of a goal to Tubber too.

Glencar/Manor could be quite tricky opposition for Harps in Connacht on the 19th, but I'd call it for Harps, with the Mayo champs up then. Tourlestrane could really have taken an ordinary Stephenites side last year, and the only thing is that the contenders there all have strong credentials, but they will cross that bridge etc. etc.

Wasn't focusing on that particular incident at the end, only caught the commotion following it, though I did hear a description of what happened, pretty disgraceful if it's indeed the case. But Tubber were showing an inability to take the beating even before then, getting involved in scuffles, and the bench seemed to be ready for a row. Won't be any action taken I'd say.

Congrats to Curry on the two-in-a-row, catching up on ourselves (technically) and Tubber now. Enjoying a great run at underage, hopefully it'll come through for the county if it does from them. They are doing the work in those parts.

And this week's offering from FOSSF, note the part in bold:

QuoteHarps make the music while Tubs run dry

Eastern Harps captured the Owen B Hunt Cup on Sunday last in the final of the Sligo Senior Championship against Tubbercurry at sun drenched Markievicz Park.

Harps came out of the blocks with all guns blazing and had a few points on the board after a few minutes and the omens were bad for Tubber but when Aidan Brennan dashed through from half back to score a fine point, Tubber began to exert themselves with Stephen Gilmartin doing well at midfield and the half back line of Brennan, Curran and Mc Donagh fighting for every ball and David Kelly tormenting the Harps defence Tubber were then in the ascendancy until a fine delivery in from Harps Midfield lead to a reverse pass by Paul Taylor for a fine goal but Tubber would be happy going in at half time only 2 points down and the wind behind them for the second period.

Harps were first out of the blocks second half but when Tubber hit them with a goal followed by a point a shock appeared on but then Harps showed why they are worthy champions.They lifted their game in every area, midfield took control supported by half backs and half forwards  and crucially for Tubber the supply into Kelly was cut off and when an occasional ball entered his area he had to contend with the ever reliable Ross O'Donovan. In the forward line Harps punished Tubber on every occasion with Paul Taylor rolling back the years with exquisite scores on either foot from play and frees to build up an unassailable lead and go on to add the Championship honours to the League won earlier this year to prove they are the best team in Sligo for 2008. We wish them well in the Connaught championship. It is about time a team from Sligo took the honours there. Harps will be delighted to win and we congratulate all, in particular the Taylor brothers, who have more than their share of injuries over the past year and great to see Paul and Tony together on this happy occasion. Last year both missed out on playing in Sligo's historic Connaught final win. Nice to see Paul, Peter Walsh and Mark Cosgrave win a 5th senior Medal. Commiserations to Tubber they will be disappointed with the outcome but they are a young team and have come a long way in the last few months and while they lost by 8 points they matched Harps for nearly ¾s of the game and they will be back

Congratulations to all concerned and particularly the park committee for having the pitch in such good condition after the inclement weather Saturday and the preceding week.

One complaint was the performance of the referee. We hear calls for respect for referees and we endorse that but there should also be respect for the players and supporters, who pay their money and travel distances to watch a game. Surely we all deserve better than an exhibition like we got last Sunday where fouls went unpunished in the first half and in the second half cards were thrown around like confetti in what was  a sporting game. Credit is due to the players that they did not become too frustrated with changing interpretation of the rules by the same official in the same game. Since Sligo has a number of referees officiating at National level surely we should have one of our best referees on duty on the biggest day of the Club calendar in the County. Fortunately it did not affect the outcome of the game.

In the minor game Curry had a good win over Calry  St Josephs. This was a strange game Curry had 2 goals inside a few minutes and Calry replied with 2 and after 10 minutes Curry had another and were leading comfortably at half time but in the second half with the wind behind them Calry increases the intensity and were within a point of Curry entering the final 10 minutes but Curry realising their precarious position upped their game and added 3 points to win by 4 in the end and bring the silverware back to south Sligo.

Congratulations to Eastern Harps ladies on their win in the Connaught Championship. Lots of celebrations in that club this week.

Yes, it's a pity we can't send the Duffys out to do the appropriate job every week isn't it? Quite a slur on TJ too, he's not the greatest ref but he's no Pa, or Pat Dan for that matter.

Owenmoresider

Another thing re yesterday: The standard of programme for county finals is getting worse all the time, yesterday's was poor to say the least. God Fr. Liam could put a match programme together, changed times though, hardly surprising though when we can't know who's reffing the games til the day before, if you're computer literate or ITK that is.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 06, 2008, 08:22:01 PM
We'll be the last to know on the manager front anyway. God save us from Luke.

Well the right team won yesterday, Harps have been the form team all year, handled the biggest test of their mettle from Curry in the semis, albeit just about, and yesterday delivered the goods when it mattered most. The suggestion that it was too early for Tubber may be true, they had no answer when Harps went at them in the last 15-20 mins. Indeed Coolera would have posed a sterner test to Harps IMO, and I think they would adknowledge that too. Both Taylors had fine games, with Paul once again leading the line, kicked a few sweet points too, Tony chpped in with three also, and showed that Gilmartin has a long, long way to go before he can be described as county material. McGee was quiet as the game wore on, kicked two points IIRC, one clinker from a good distance out, but got a shot from Phillips early on, put manners on him. Some bad misses from frees didn't help Tubber's cause either. Curran was very involved in the first half, but Rafferty did lots of damage in the second, close enough to MOTM for me. The other forwards like Doddy and Cryan can be inconsistent but did take their chances in the second half when they came. O'Grady was quiet, and hasn't shown any of the form he had been showing earlier in the year and last. The Harps backline did a fine job, barring a shaky period midway through the first half, when Tubber were cutting through them, and the gift of a goal to Tubber too.

Glencar/Manor could be quite tricky opposition for Harps in Connacht on the 19th, but I'd call it for Harps, with the Mayo champs up then. Tourlestrane could really have taken an ordinary Stephenites side last year, and the only thing is that the contenders there all have strong credentials, but they will cross that bridge etc. etc.

Wasn't focusing on that particular incident at the end, only caught the commotion following it, though I did hear a description of what happened, pretty disgraceful if it's indeed the case. But Tubber were showing an inability to take the beating even before then, getting involved in scuffles, and the bench seemed to be ready for a row. Won't be any action taken I'd say.

Congrats to Curry on the two-in-a-row, catching up on ourselves (technically) and Tubber now. Enjoying a great run at underage, hopefully it'll come through for the county if it does from them. They are doing the work in those parts.

And this week's offering from FOSSF, note the part in bold:

QuoteHarps make the music while Tubs run dry

Eastern Harps captured the Owen B Hunt Cup on Sunday last in the final of the Sligo Senior Championship against Tubbercurry at sun drenched Markievicz Park.

Harps came out of the blocks with all guns blazing and had a few points on the board after a few minutes and the omens were bad for Tubber but when Aidan Brennan dashed through from half back to score a fine point, Tubber began to exert themselves with Stephen Gilmartin doing well at midfield and the half back line of Brennan, Curran and Mc Donagh fighting for every ball and David Kelly tormenting the Harps defence Tubber were then in the ascendancy until a fine delivery in from Harps Midfield lead to a reverse pass by Paul Taylor for a fine goal but Tubber would be happy going in at half time only 2 points down and the wind behind them for the second period.

Harps were first out of the blocks second half but when Tubber hit them with a goal followed by a point a shock appeared on but then Harps showed why they are worthy champions.They lifted their game in every area, midfield took control supported by half backs and half forwards  and crucially for Tubber the supply into Kelly was cut off and when an occasional ball entered his area he had to contend with the ever reliable Ross O'Donovan. In the forward line Harps punished Tubber on every occasion with Paul Taylor rolling back the years with exquisite scores on either foot from play and frees to build up an unassailable lead and go on to add the Championship honours to the League won earlier this year to prove they are the best team in Sligo for 2008. We wish them well in the Connaught championship. It is about time a team from Sligo took the honours there. Harps will be delighted to win and we congratulate all, in particular the Taylor brothers, who have more than their share of injuries over the past year and great to see Paul and Tony together on this happy occasion. Last year both missed out on playing in Sligo's historic Connaught final win. Nice to see Paul, Peter Walsh and Mark Cosgrave win a 5th senior Medal. Commiserations to Tubber they will be disappointed with the outcome but they are a young team and have come a long way in the last few months and while they lost by 8 points they matched Harps for nearly ¾s of the game and they will be back

Congratulations to all concerned and particularly the park committee for having the pitch in such good condition after the inclement weather Saturday and the preceding week.

One complaint was the performance of the referee. We hear calls for respect for referees and we endorse that but there should also be respect for the players and supporters, who pay their money and travel distances to watch a game. Surely we all deserve better than an exhibition like we got last Sunday where fouls went unpunished in the first half and in the second half cards were thrown around like confetti in what was  a sporting game. Credit is due to the players that they did not become too frustrated with changing interpretation of the rules by the same official in the same game. Since Sligo has a number of referees officiating at National level surely we should have one of our best referees on duty on the biggest day of the Club calendar in the County. Fortunately it did not affect the outcome of the game.

In the minor game Curry had a good win over Calry  St Josephs. This was a strange game Curry had 2 goals inside a few minutes and Calry replied with 2 and after 10 minutes Curry had another and were leading comfortably at half time but in the second half with the wind behind them Calry increases the intensity and were within a point of Curry entering the final 10 minutes but Curry realising their precarious position upped their game and added 3 points to win by 4 in the end and bring the silverware back to south Sligo.

Congratulations to Eastern Harps ladies on their win in the Connaught Championship. Lots of celebrations in that club this week.

Yes, it's a pity we can't send the Duffys out to do the appropriate job every week isn't it? Quite a slur on TJ too, he's not the greatest ref but he's no Pa, or Pat Dan for that matter.

I read the report on FOSF and was quite shocked considering the report on last weeks 2 refs had good games comment. Who is the clown running that website, I tryed to post good luck SMG twice but the lad won post it. I  presume the extra S is of significance to the south OMS. The ref was a million miles fairer and better than what ive seen in recent weeks yday. I agree with everything you said btw, curry harps was the real final IMO, coolera should of won the first day and maybe there experience would of put up a better showing, but i think we will see touletrane back next yr with coolera, harps and curry obviously the main contenders. Tubber are young like ourselves and may have to wait a while to back in the decider. But all in all was at alot of club games and we arent in that bad of shape at that level. So id expect harps to do well, but as OMS said Glencar/manor wont be a push over beat bornacoola 2-9 to 0-7 in final. Where is the that game btw?

SLIGONIAN

CONNAUGHT MINOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2009

Old knockout system agreed to but draw was separate from the senior draw.

Preliminary round 2nd May: Galway V Sligo

Semi Finals: 16th /17th May

Roscommon V Leitrim

Mayo V Galway/Sligo

Extra time in all games except final

CONNAUGHT U 21 CHAMPIONSHIP DRAW

Preliminary round: Galway V Mayo

Semi Finals:Sligo V Leitrim

Roscommon V Galway/Mayo

Tough minor draw but good u21 one. We have a serious minor team next yr and id be hoping we can rattle galway and mayo.

SLIGONIAN

I went through all my old programmes, that ive collected over the yrs with a special interest in u21 and minor ones of a few yrs ago. Its shocking to see our chb, chf fb all not playing at this moment or unheard of since.

Im going to make a list of every player thats been in or around the panel at various levels and the best club players this yr ive seen.

GKs

Greene, Farrel and durkan. For me greene was ok last yr but id expect a serious challenege by farrell. Durkan didnt commit last yr but imo has the bast kickout of the three. Greene has the worst kickout of the 3 and is sometimes a liability under the high ball but is the best shot stopper. Farrell is probably the best all round for me.

Defenders

Harrison, Donovan, McGuire, Naughton, Mcgovern, Egan, E Mchugh, Phiilps, Ewing,O Neill, Kivelhan, Kirrane, Bree, C Mcgowan, Gallagher, Martyn, Collins, D Mcdonagh, Mcnamara

Midfield

K Quinn, Horan, O Hara, Bryne, Gilmartin, Henry, Taylor, Wilson

Forwards

Curran, S Davey, Kelly, Breheny, Mcpartland, Marren, Sweeney, McGowan, Cawley, Mcteirnan, P Lyons, D Davey, Coen, O Grady, G Gaughan, Flannery, B Mcdonagh, O reilly, J Rafferty, A Taafe, Raymond, McGee, M Gordon, J Scanlon, F Quinn, M Doddy, B McDonagh

Thats 52 names, right so who would i get rid of from DEFENCE, M McNamara, Kivelhan, O Neill, P Gallagher, C Mcgowan,.....for definite, only man id consider taking back is mcnamara if he is was fit hungry and playing well but he'd have alot to prove and id be playing him in the forward line. The rest are past it, or  i dont rate, not fit enough or too slow IMO. Of the rest Naughton, would be debatable and mchugh is a forward IMO, and i think the new manger has to get martyn back involved.

Of Midfield only horan for me would be dropped and O Hara would never play there for Sligo again, Id play him FF and work on a gameplan to get the best out of him there. Quinn would have a major question mark over him and bryne too, neithor played well last yr so both cant be guarnteed there place. If either starts in jan poorly others would be getting there chance despite there young age, like taylor,gilamartin, wilson, henry, but they would be treated the exact same way as quinn and bryne.  For me Taylor is no1 choice there at the minute. We cant have players playing shite and keep playing them, last yr that happened the whole way through in every position. Comfort zone has to be avoided.

Forwards, id drop S davey, Cawley, G Mcgowan, id have question mark over a few like mcpartland, flannery, curran,scanlon. McPartland Great player when fit, when not fit no good to us. Flannery suprised me last yr, his league was excellent, scoring and showing well in louth, and then scored 2 play against longford, a shame he got injured so early. Now id have reservations about his pace but he looked the best shape id ever seen him. I probably give both these players a chance but they have to fit and sharp. Curran play chb for club and didnt think he played that well and i dont rate him as a forward either so i am unsure about him. Scanlon is not in great shape but can be lethal on his day not sure again.

The untried and untested like McGee, taafe, doddy, gordon,f quinn, o reilly, raymond, Mcdonagh, rafferty definitly deserve a fbd game and see where there at. Id be fairly confident about some of them doing really well.

Others who were involved last yr, coen, gaughan, lyons, mctieranan, ogrady, d davey, id expect to kick on this yr. I expect more from gaughan and coen, i dont rate ogrady to be honest and lyons and mctieran 2 balymote men have the potential to do well. Davey did well when i seen him last yr.

Then we have breheny, sweeney, marren, kelly who i expect big things from. Its time for sweeney to do well from the start every day, marren looked sharp with curry.

Pushing Ohara into the forwards is the key this yr for me. We have to have a physical presence there and we a mix of players up front. Id have a only rejuvenated mcanamara in forwards, not sure i start mchugh but he isnt a back.

I wont see any league games at all in 09 but i cant wait to hear how McGee does, looks great for tubber.

Any Additons? Any diagreements? For what its worth i think we are not as bad as people think, We have good players we just need to give more a chance and the right man to allow our players to express themselves to their full potential whilst not showing too much loyalty like recent managers.

SLIGONIAN

Lots to talk about lads, Sligo V Galway in Markievicz Park, new manager should get more out than last yrs joke of a performance. Were not as bad as 08 shows so expect improvement and Galway will be complacent no doubt so we may catch them.

I wish the lads and the new manager the very best of luck.

Sorry about my counting ability above.. :-[

paddypastit

QuoteWere not as bad as 08 shows so expect improvement
Aside from fervernt desire and unqualified passionate support, both of which are to be applauded, is there really any basis for saying so?  I actually don't believe there is.  Only three performances by the team in the past two years suggest this to be the case - the championship matches of 2007 against Roscommon and Galway and the final League game of 2007 against Wicklow. The ugly truth based on performances in 24 of our last 27 competitive performances (FBD, NL and C'ships of all breeds on '07 and '08) is that we are where we deserve to be. That is not being disloyal or defeatist but is based on a belief that you can't start building unless you know where the ground really is.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on October 09, 2008, 07:47:18 PM
QuoteWere not as bad as 08 shows so expect improvement
Aside from fervernt desire and unqualified passionate support, uis there really any basis for saying so?  I actually don't believe there is.  Only three performances by the team in the past three years suggest this to be the case - the championship matches of 2007 against Roscommon and Galway and the final League game of 2007 against Wicklow) The ugly truth is that we are where we deserve to be.

There is no denying or arguement we are were we deserve to be. Collectively the players and management performances last yr were that level and they take responsibilty. I believe an influx of a hopefully half decent management team and renewed atitude within the panel will bring better results on the field.

08 was a write off. But the uglyiness of sligo football was there last yr for everyone to see, will that atitude carry through to next yr, l mean the lack of effort, desire, hunger, fitness.... surely this yr they cant hide behind the 07 win again. I believe next yr we will see a rejuvenated sligo with alot of wasters in the panel gone and a fresh panel with alot of new faces eager to prove themselves.

From what i seen in the club championship no way are we div4 standard. We have the players IMO listed above, we can keep the negative belief system and use as an excuse for the next 100 yrs but that will get what we got so far. We cant continue to look at it like that, i look at this way we have very good players coming through and some very good experienced players, get the best out of them and we will do well.

You modified your post PADDY which is confusing consdering i was replying to the first one. Sometimes reading your posts there so much waffle, im like whats his point, no offence. Do you want us to survey the ground for ya or something before we start building? ;)... i mean going to as many club games listing as many potential players is that not the starting point (ie ground) your looking for.

For me its this simple know what players are there, change the squad, change the atitude, get them fit, get them out of comfort zone, required gameplan and you change losing results into winning. Just do it and leave the past where it belongs even 07. Focus on NOW.

paddypastit

God Sligonian, you're hard to like!!  but you know... you're lucky though, you should hear me talking.

Anyway on the football team I don't see club games these days so can't really comment on the specifics on players etc that you set out.  The key is attitude really.  I see for example that you have O'Neill down as one to go.  I can't comment at all on the merits of that call over any other but I will say from experience of working with and training the guy that pound for pound he is one of the best natural left sided defensive players I have ever seen, anywhere, but he has massively underacheived and I don't genuinely think... and I like the guy personally, that he has ever pushed himself enough and wanted badly enough to be one of the top 15 or more as, for example, O'Hara has done.

The only other thing that I will say, and I have to disageree with you completely on this point - hopefully you'll get that - it is not simple, and never will be.  If it was, everybody would be doing it.

BTW, there's something on in the flicks at the minute that you'll enjoy - How to Lose Friends & Alienate People

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on October 10, 2008, 03:01:13 PM
God Sligonian, you're hard to like!!  but you know... you're lucky though, you should hear me talking.

Anyway on the football team I don't see club games these days so can't really comment on the specifics on players etc that you set out.  The key is attitude really.  I see for example that you have O'Neill down as one to go.  I can't comment at all on the merits of that call over any other but I will say from experience of working with and training the guy that pound for pound he is one of the best natural left sided defensive players I have ever seen, anywhere, but he has massively underacheived and I don't genuinely think... and I like the guy personally, that he has ever pushed himself enough and wanted badly enough to be one of the top 15 or more as, for example, O'Hara has done.

The only other thing that I will say, and I have to disageree with you completely on this point - hopefully you'll get that - it is not simple, and never will be.  If it was, everybody would be doing it.

BTW, there's something on in the flicks at the minute that you'll enjoy - How to Lose Friends & Alienate People

Im not offended as easy as others, i dont like or agree with what is said on here alot but that doesnt mean i dont like the person. Someones opinion isnt who they are at the end of the day. And anyways ive plenty of friends outside of this. On here isnt a true reflection of any of us as people.

Its not a popularity contest on here or friendship finder. Its sligo gaa and whats best for that i come and to talk about it and to serve it. I know my opinion and judgements are all made with good intentions. There is absolutely no alterer motive, no favouritsm when it comes to sligo with me. But i am aware of my own flaws, ie the way i make my points, and in that way ive improved i think.

On Karl oneill ive met him and spoke to him a few times and was spot on guy, really sound, not in question here. Secondly he has best left foot passes ive ever seen, agreed, lots of abilty but way unfit. His fitness costs him big time especially last yr. He is well able to get into better shape physically than he is IMO and if he did ive have him back no problem. All im saying is him mcnamara, phllips and few others need to give it alot more to get back into the squad. Like o neill and phillips were in the squad all yr with no chance of getting playing because they werent fit. I know sligo football means alot to them but they just need to be dropped and door still open to motivate them IMO. Id even give them target fitness and then come back test them and welcome them back. I wouldnt write off anyone bar the older lads i mentioned who are retiring anyway.

You have every right to disagree with me and anyone else for that matter, it doesnt offend me or do i take it personnally. But on the simplistic view, thats my framework for a starting point only, id have loads more ideas but i just generalised in the below quote with bold the most important i agree wholeheartdly.
"For me its this simple know what players are there, change the squad, change the atitude, get them fit, get them out of comfort zone, required gameplan and you change losing results into winning"

Oh ya and get Caroline Currid back to measure guys performance and tell me everything mickey did last yr ;).

My last point is everyone on here is older than me and ive learned alot from some of the sligo lads on here believe it or not, who are top guys btw, but you know sometimes i feel like im not allowed have an opinion, like on parsons, k quinn , abuse by fans towards ohara etc.. it is only an opinion and im allowed to have one and be wrong or right too. Mostly right though :D.

paddypastit

Jez Sligonian don't be getting all serious on us; sure we agree on way more than we disagree on.  FWIW I don't buy into there being an age threshold on good observations or well thought out opinions and I find it hard to disagree with even part of a point of your last post.... as the nun said to the bishop "Tetigisti acu"