Laois v Armagh

Started by illdecide, June 07, 2016, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on June 19, 2016, 07:47:45 PM
This is all part of Geezer's 5-year plan. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards

What part of it?  Bullshit saying you have to go back before you go forward.

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 19, 2016, 07:50:28 PM
This is all part of Geezer's 5-year plan. Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards

You get a better run at it if you reverse first.

In other news on the GAA football rankings on Boards.ie
Laois move up 4 places following an unexpected win over Armagh; Armagh drop to 22nd, their lowest ranking since October 1975

So all the way through the late 80s and early 90s, we weren't this bad.
Fearon said we needed a Michael O'Neill, we need a Gerry O'Neill!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 19, 2016, 07:50:28 PM

I assumed he was being ironic.

Personally I cannot see how any club delegate can honestly say that under McGeeney Armagh are the best they can be. Surely there has to be a debate where club delegates will be asked their view or have the chance to ask questions?

If we persevere with McGeeney and 2017 proves to a similar debacle then the decision to persevere at this junction, given the clear signals will look criminal

smelmoth

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 19, 2016, 04:44:53 PM
Quote from: LCohen on June 19, 2016, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 19, 2016, 03:08:35 PM

Armaghs main source of turning ball over was by kicking poor ball into the forward line that was cut out by the single and double sweeper. You're lamenting that they only hand passed sideways coming forward. It's recognised even by the kids on the county forum that they were kicking the ball more than ever yesterday. So which criticism is it - they didn't kick it forward and they should have despite the double sweepers. Or, the criticism that managemeant didn't realise that there was two sweepers and the approach didn't reflect that?

I think you should take a step back and look at the game and my post again.

In the game we had plenty of possessions in our full and half back lines. We elected to solo that ball forward. Laois were happy with this and let us at it. We carry the ball until we get close to the defensive line. The we take it into contact (poor results), attempt long range points (poor results as the wrong men are on the ball) or kick it in to the forward (poor results as they are completely surrounded by this stage). I am not even complaining about the decisions made when we confront the defensive line its the decisions before that. We are helping to create the problem and then struggling to solve it.

There is lots to criticise them about but your assertion in bold is patently wrong if you watched the game at all.
We definitely did carry the ball to and through midfield by soloing forward time and again. There was a couple of times in the second half where Charlie was free roughly left half back. Instead of kicking it to him quickly we soloed forward and then hand passed it about 3 yeards to him standing still. Totally feckless stuff.

The speed of the ball to midfield or half foward is a key issue and if you can't see it you are blind.

T Fearon

The farce with a couple of substitutions yesterday epitomises where we at.Even simple things like making substitutions is a complex exercise.

Having said that I don't think even the current Armagh side would concede three goals against Cavan

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2016, 09:22:40 PM
The farce with a couple of substitutions yesterday epitomises where we at.Even simple things like making substitutions is a complex exercise.

Having said that I don't think even the current Armagh side would concede three goals against Cavan

There was a mess up with the subs but that could have been a mess up by armagh, the officials or the communication between the 2. I would be more worried why McKenna was taken off at all. Looked a poor call to me.

The Boy Wonder

For the first time this year Laois produced a good performance in defence which was the foundation for this win - the return of manager's son Kieran Lillis as CHB and the impressive championship debut of Gearoid Hanrahan were key factors. Up front Laois wasted too many opportunities and nearly kicked the game away.

At half-time Armagh had recovered from the Laois goal and looked as if they would kick on - overall they were the better team in the first half. Laois dominated the second half with defence and midfield controlling the game but their inability to kill off the game is a worry. John O'Loughlin's return for the next round will help.

reddgnhand

Did they not concede 3 goals to that Cavan team in the league game Armagh were humiliated.

ziggysego

Quote from: reddgnhand on June 20, 2016, 12:27:34 AM

Did they not concede 3 goals to that Cavan team in the league game Armagh were humiliated.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0305/772814-cavan-v-armagh/
Testing Accessibility

No wides

You really are a complete tosser.  ;D

Moortown Spuds

Armagh to be reinstated. Put all the money you have on Clare to beat them.

stew

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on June 20, 2016, 05:35:20 PM

Thanks captain obvious for your sage wisdom, Tony hooked ya ked. )

We are out, let Laois move on as they beat us, that last Sun made no difference.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Throw ball

Quote from: stew on June 20, 2016, 06:50:07 PM

We are out, let Laois move on as they beat us, that last Sun made no difference.

I agree to a point. The problem the GAA have is if by letting it go they set a precedent.

always_next_year

Rules are rules. Game should be replayed!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Throw ball on June 20, 2016, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: stew on June 20, 2016, 06:50:07 PM

They already set a precedent when they let Offaly away with it against Kildare 10 years ago.
I agree to a point. The problem the GAA have is if by letting it go they set a precedent.