Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

It's important to have a bit of perspective in life. Yes the likes of Brolly and Spillane can annoy with comments on individuals and teams but at the end of the day it's only talk, and they're there to stir things up and entertain.  People should try and cast their minds back to early punditry and it was fairly dull stuff, no one wanting to cause offence to anyone.  Anyone who takes some of their more outlandish comments seriously need to develop a thicker skin imo.  Think back to August time and those Donegal eejits who attacked Spillane in the street - what awful crime did Spillane commit to warrant that?
What Joe Brolly has done is just unbelievable and says all we need to know about his character and downright decency. That's the stuff that really counts. Anyone who has a chip on their shoulder about a perceived wrongdoing against their county need to catch themselves on.
That's just, like your opinion man.

North Man

With the profile Joe has and is building upon, i could easily see him take over from Michael D in 6 years

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armamike on October 10, 2012, 02:05:42 PM
It's important to have a bit of perspective in life. Yes the likes of Brolly and Spillane can annoy with comments on individuals and teams but at the end of the day it's only talk, and they're there to stir things up and entertain.  People should try and cast their minds back to early punditry and it was fairly dull stuff, no one wanting to cause offence to anyone.  Anyone who takes some of their more outlandish comments seriously need to develop a thicker skin imo.  Think back to August time and those Donegal eejits who attacked Spillane in the street - what awful crime did Spillane commit to warrant that?
What Joe Brolly has done is just unbelievable and says all we need to know about his character and downright decency. That's the stuff that really counts. Anyone who has a chip on their shoulder about a perceived wrongdoing against their county need to catch themselves on.

I used to be of that opinion. But Brolly clearly went on national radio the Wednesday before the AI final and labeled Mayo as a tactically fouling team as well as saying there was an onus on the referee to sort this out. This was not an idle comment or as you say 'only talk'. It would have been 'only talk' had he said it on the day of the game. This clearly had a bearing psychologically with the referee and his decision making on the game.

Fuzzman

A lot of people seem to be asking the question is he a good guy or a bad guy.
I think if we're honest he's like most of us he's both. Obviously what he did here was a massive gesture and from what I read he's obviously done a lot of other good things as well.

I think his heart in the right place but to me his personality is the problem. He shoots from the hip too often and doesn't care who he hurts or what he says. He's obviously an  intelligent guy and you need to be to be a good barrister which I believe he is. He is able to think very fast on his feet but in my eyes is over confident and won't let others have their opinion or at least not respect their opinion.
When Tyrone were winning matches back from 03-08 I was a huge fan as he talked us up all the time and often spoke the truth to Spillane and Co who seem to hate anything Ulster.
However, in the cold light of day his craving to be the centre of attention at every event and always need to be funniest and can never take a back seat. I actually cringe now when he is on cos all the RTE guys now seem to love to hate him and he is quite rude to them as won't let them speak.
I wonder what he thinks when he watches himself of the Sunday game or is he too full of himself to do that.

I always laugh when I think of the time he was live on the phone on Newstalk and near the end of the interview he says " I have to go here, these weans are going mad".

So whilst he is a bit of a bollix to chat to imho, he also seems to have a heart of gold.

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2012, 02:53:27 PM

I used to be of that opinion. But Brolly clearly went on national radio the Wednesday before the AI final and labeled Mayo as a tactically fouling team as well as saying there was an onus on the referee to sort this out. This was not an idle comment or as you say 'only talk'. It would have been 'only talk' had he said it on the day of the game. This clearly had a bearing psychologically with the referee and his decision making on the game.

Nonsense!! He let Mayo away with murder. After the 2 goals Mayo consistently hit 3rd man tackles all over the pitch and were basically let away with it.

Brolly most definitely had a point in what he said but maybe he should have highlighted the fact that Donegal are no strangers to a bit of gamesmanship themselves!!

JimStynes

Has anybody got the article that paddy heaney done on joe brolly the other day?

Fuzzman

Exactly screenexile. Last year and earlier this year Brolly was laying into Donegal for their unsavoury side and their gamesmanship but like he did with Tyrone back in the noughties he picks who he thinks is gonna win and sticks his colours to their mast.
I bet you now he'll be praising Donegal for the next few years until the next best thing comes along.

Does anyone know how the other pundits get on with him?
It must be tough on his kids going to matches with him nowadays.
That story he told in the Gaelic Life where his young lad was a bit scared from the Cork fans, sums the man up to me. He's more worried about his own ego than other things around him.

Canalman

Have to laugh at this (sorry FTB) but this imo is exactly what the Mayo set up did before the AISF this year with its "observations"  on the referee made before that game. What's good for the goose  is ........etc.
Anyway wish JB all the best. Always liked him and thought that he is/was one of the very few pundits/ journos that was fair to Dublin over the years and who didn't engage in the  gleeful grave dancing like the others.

bennydorano

Not to mention that it's incredibly insulting to any Referee worth his  salt.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 10, 2012, 05:07:35 PM
Exactly screenexile. Last year and earlier this year Brolly was laying into Donegal for their unsavoury side and their gamesmanship but like he did with Tyrone back in the noughties he picks who he thinks is gonna win and sticks his colours to their mast.
I bet you now he'll be praising Donegal for the next few years until the next best thing comes along.

Does anyone know how the other pundits get on with him?
It must be tough on his kids going to matches with him nowadays.
That story he told in the Gaelic Life where his young lad was a bit scared from the Cork fans, sums the man up to me. He's more worried about his own ego than other things around him.

Are you serious man?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Armamike

You don't know that for sure.  We can all find examples of that or pick out statements by the pundits to suit our cause. Back in 2003 Armagh and Francie Bellew got villified that whole summer (not just in the run up to one match) by the likes of Colm O'Rourke and Spillane for being over physical.  Did that register with referees? Who knows. But what's the point in speculating or bemoaning it. Ultimately Mayo didn't win the AI this year because of a lack of a target man or two in the forwards. Not because of Joe Brolly.
That's just, like your opinion man.

NaomhBridAbĂș

some people seem to miss the point with Brolly.
I know him - not well enough to shitetalk about him and name drop like every columnist was doing at the start of the week in the irish news - from heany, tierney and even in the bsuiness section with mcerlane

they all had a story to tell about joe. Joe the footballer. Joe the barrister. Joe the pundit. Joe the father. Joe the friend. Joe the donor.

And that is the point - brolly is pretty good at everything he does.

As a pundit, i think he is a ****. changing his mind like the weather. talking shite to wind people up, adn you knwo what it is his job to do that. if he was safe, hed not be on tv.

he is a sublime barrister - i know this from fact.
his credentials as a father are none of my business, but he has 5 kids and id say they have every chance of being brought up 100%

he is basically good at everything he does - a quick look in the mirror for most of us, should ask some serious self refelctive questions, if we cannot acknowledge that his act of selflessness, with thon kidney, is just f**king unbelievable.

I still think that as a pundit he is a jibbering bollox - but i still watch him on TV.

As an aside, Im suprised that spillane hasnt tried to out do brolly by giving away 2 kidneys...

keep on trucking joe, ye f**king slabber
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

whitey

Quote from: Canalman on October 10, 2012, 05:26:29 PM

Have to laugh at this (sorry FTB) but this imo is exactly what the Mayo set up did before the AISF this year with its "observations"  on the referee made before that game. What's good for the goose  is ........etc.
Anyway wish JB all the best. Always liked him and thought that he is/was one of the very few pundits/ journos that was fair to Dublin over the years and who didn't engage in the  gleeful grave dancing like the others.

In all fairness the last time that ref, reffef a Mayo match he gave 3 blatant game changing decisions against Mayo-even Pat Spillane said he was a disgrace after the game. Tack on the fact that he gave the Dubs, more than a few questionable calls the prior year, I think Horan was dead right to make the comments he did. It's one thing for a manager to say it, it's another thing for Brolly to do it a few days before the final. Given his post match rant against Mayo, I think it's quite clear now what his agenda was

From the Bunker

Quote from: whitey on October 11, 2012, 08:05:40 PM

In all fairness the last time that ref, reffef a Mayo match he gave 3 blatant game changing decisions against Mayo-even Pat Spillane said he was a disgrace after the game. Tack on the fact that he gave the Dubs, more than a few questionable calls the prior year, I think Horan was dead right to make the comments he did. It's one thing for a manager to say it, it's another thing for Brolly to do it a few days before the final. Given his post match rant against Mayo, I think it's quite clear now what his agenda was

+1 (Nail on the head)

RMDrive

Quit f**king moaning lads. More time spend on the field and less complaining about Brolly is what Mayo need. If you want something to debate then why not wax lyrical about Mayo's planned effort to take out Donegal's key men in the AI final. Although I suppose the dirty challenges on McHugh, McGlynn, Murphy and Lacey could just have been a coincidence.